Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Tony Shelver <tshelver@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 24/09/2020 18:13, Tony Shelver wrote:

>     On 9/23/20 11:51 AM, tutiluren@tutanota.com
>     <mailto:tutiluren@tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> >     Huh? A schema is just a name space, why does it matter how the
> >     extension chooses to define it? I mean you could have number of
> >     permutations of postgis.
> >
> > I'm saying that PostGIS has a bug due to incorrectly constructed
> > internal queries which makes it impossible to properly name the schema
> > where PostGIS is to reside, causing my database to look very ugly when
> > it has to say "postgis" instead of "PostGIS" for PostGIS's schema. And
> > that was an example of how sloppy/bad third-party things always are, and
> > is one reason why I don't like it when I have to rely on "extensions".

All lowercase is good, as you don't have to remember which bits are
capitalized.  And besides, there are far more important issues to
consider as Tony has covered in detail.  It is definitely not a bug!

[..]

> Oracle's equivalent is probably the closest.  Pity that installing
> Oracle and their products as a whole is a nightmare, and rather
> wallet-draining...
>
> Have a look at GIS / Mapping projects around the world, a majority are
> implemented on PostGIS.  Openstreetmap is probably the biggest (think
> open source version of Google Maps), and it moved to PostGIS from
> MySQL several years ago.
> We did a lot of research into PostGIS, as GIS / tracking is a core
> part of our business.
> We didn't find a product that could compare on
>
>   * Maturity
>   * Functionality
>   * Performance
>   * Cost
>   * Documentation
>   * Support (huge community)

I remember going to free seminars promoting the Oracle database over 25
years ago, and the only thing I can remembers now is the pie charts
saying how much revenue Oracle had versus all the others.  Never  how
many transactions, size of databases, number of users, nor any really
useful metric -- just how much Oracle was being paid!

To be honest, I've heard many bad things about Oracle, and rarely
anything good.

There are many reasons for going with PostgreSQL and PostGIS, but you
are free to use something else if you prefer.

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Tony Shelver
Сообщение: Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
От: Олег Самойлов
Сообщение: Re: BUG? Slave don't reconnect to the master