Обсуждение: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
Hello,

I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,
- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

Thanks!

+1 from me.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Дата:
+1 of course

I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,
- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

Thanks!

+1 from me.
--
Vik Fearing

RE: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
"Ahmed, Nawaz (Fuji Xerox Australia)"
I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,
- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to
keepthe current default.

Thanks!

+1 from me.
--
Vik Fearing

IMPORTANT NOTE: Fuji Xerox email transmission, including any attachments, is private and confidential and may contain
legallyprivileged information. It is for the addressee's attention only. If you are not the intended recipient and have
receivedthis transmission, you must not use, edit, print, copy or disclose its contents to any person or disseminate
theinformation contained herein or hereto attached, and you must notify sender immediately by return email and delete
thistransmission from your system. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this
e-mailhas been sent to you in error. We have used reasonable efforts to protect this transmission from computer viruses
andother malicious software, but no warranty is made and the sender takes no responsibility for any loss or damage
incurredfrom using this email or the information contained in this email.

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Matt Zagrabelny
Дата:
+1

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 9:15 PM Ahmed, Nawaz (Fuji Xerox Australia)
<Nawaz.Ahmed@aus.fujixerox.com> wrote:

> +1

Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 11:55, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
Hello,

I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,
- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1 from me.

I've been configuring this in every single .psqlrc I "own" since it was first added in 7.4,
and sorely miss it not being just available in environments I don't "own".

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Steve Baldwin
Дата:
Hi Vik,

I'm not sure why this should be the default when it is easy to override the default via a psqrc file. If you know enough to do it, you can. Otherwise I don't think it adds any value as a default since a novice user isn't going to know what */!/? means. Maybe I'm missing something.

-1 from me.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:55 PM Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
Hello,

I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,
- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

Thanks!

+1 from me.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 06/02/2020 04:55, Steve Baldwin wrote:
> Hi Vik,
>
> I'm not sure why this should be the default when it is easy to override the
> default via a psqrc file. If you know enough to do it, you can.

Because it isn't always easy to modify the .psqlrc file.  This is
especially true if you frequently connect to other people's systems.

> Otherwise I
> don't think it adds any value as a default since a novice user isn't going
> to know what */!/? means. Maybe I'm missing something.

A novice user won't understand any of psql's meta commands, either.

> -1 from me.

Thank you for voting.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Hari Kiran
Дата:
On 06/02/20 8:24 am, Vik Fearing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.
>
> The effect of this is:
>
> - nothing at all when not in a transaction,
> - adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
>    transaction.
>
> Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
> requested.
>
> Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
> default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.
>
> Thanks!
>
> +1 from me.
double +1 from me

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 03:54:48AM +0100, Vik Fearing wrote:
> I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.
>
> The effect of this is:
>
> - nothing at all when not in a transaction,
> - adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
>   transaction.
>
> Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
> requested.

Thanks Vik for starting a new thread.  For reference here is the
thread where the patch is being discussed:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/09502c40-cfe1-bb29-10f9-4b3fa7b2bbb2@2ndquadrant.com
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Feb 5, 2020, at 18:54, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
> Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
> default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1.

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 2/5/20 8:05 PM, Vik Fearing wrote:
> On 06/02/2020 04:55, Steve Baldwin wrote:
>> Hi Vik,
>>
>> I'm not sure why this should be the default when it is easy to override the
>> default via a psqrc file. If you know enough to do it, you can.
>
> Because it isn't always easy to modify the .psqlrc file.  This is
> especially true if you frequently connect to other people's systems.
>
>> Otherwise I
>> don't think it adds any value as a default since a novice user isn't going
>> to know what */!/? means. Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> A novice user won't understand any of psql's meta commands, either.

Except they can be found by doing \?

-1

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 7:55 PM Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Daevor The Devoted
Дата:
+1

(+10 billion actually, but sadly, I'm only allowed a +1)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 4:55 AM Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
Hello,

I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,
- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

Thanks!

+1 from me.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Thu, 2020-02-06 at 03:54 +0100, Vik Fearing wrote:
> I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

+1

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le jeu. 6 févr. 2020 à 03:55, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> a écrit :
Hello,

I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.

The effect of this is:

- nothing at all when not in a transaction,

Too bad it doesn't add a space, so that we still have the same space used byt the prompt whatever the status of the transaction. That's probably the only thing that bugs me with %x.

- adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
  transaction.

Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
requested.

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

Thanks!

+1 from me.

+1 from me as well. Actually, thanks to you, I added it to my .psqlrc file in the meantime. But it would be very interesting when I work on a customer's server.

--
Guillaume.

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 03:54:48AM +0100, Vik Fearing wrote:
> Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
> default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1

depesz

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 03:54:48AM +0100, Vik Fearing wrote:
>> Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
>> default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.
>
>+1

+1

Daniel

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Ray O'Donnell
Дата:
On 06/02/2020 02:54, Vik Fearing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I proposed a patch to add %x to PROMPT1 and PROMPT2 by default in psql.
>
> The effect of this is:
>
> - nothing at all when not in a transaction,
> - adding a '*' when in a transaction or a '!' when in an aborted
>   transaction.
>
> Before making a change to a long-time default, a poll in this group was
> requested.
>
> Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
> default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray@rodonnell.ie

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Victor Yegorov
Дата:
чт, 6 февр. 2020 г. в 04:55, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org>:
Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1

--
Victor Yegorov

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Charles Clavadetscher
Дата:
> Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
> default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1

--
Charles Clavadetscher
Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group
Treasurer
Spitzackerstrasse 9
CH - 8057 Zürich

http://www.swisspug.org

+---------------------------+
|     ____  ______  ___     |
|    /    )/      \/   \    |
|   (     / __    _\    )   |
|    \    (/ o)  ( o)   )   |
|     \_  (_  )   \ ) _/    |
|       \  /\_/    \)/      |
|        \/ <//|  |\\>      |
|             _|  |         |
|             \|_/          |
|                           |
|     Swiss PGDay 2020      |
|      18/19.06.2020        |
|      HSR Rapperswil       |
|                           |
+---------------------------+

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

   Fabrízio de Royes Mello         Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 8:05 PM Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
Because it isn't always easy to modify the .psqlrc file.  This is
especially true if you frequently connect to other people's systems.

Exactly. You can tune your psql a lot, including excellent pspg,
but then you frequently troubleshoot other people's systems, you deal with defaults.

And finally, the default settings is what most people will always use.

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Ken Tanzer
Дата:
Em qua, 5 de fev de 2020 às 23:55, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> escreveu:

Please answer +1 if you want or don't mind seeing transaction status by
default in psql or -1 if you would prefer to keep the current default.

+1

I liked the idea just reading about it, but thought it would be good form to at least try it out before voting.  If I read the patch right, people can try this out by setting their prompt without having to change their .psqlrc file:

\set PROMPT1 ''%/%R%x%# '

Having done so, I'm still a +1!

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Kasun Kulathunga
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 6, 2020, 20:29 Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I've been using this setting for so long in .psqlrc that I forgot its not a default thing!

+1 from me as well!

-Kasun

Re: POLL: Adding transaction status to default psql prompt

От
Anthony Nowocien
Дата:
+1 also.