Обсуждение: Re: Assert failure due to "drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade" fortemporary tables and \d+ is not showing any info after drooping temp tableschema

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 04:50:58PM +0530, Mahendra Singh wrote:
> We can fix this problem by either one way 1) reset myTempNamespace to
> invalid while drooping schema of temp table 2) should not allow to drop
> temporary table schema

(Please note that it is better not to cross-post on multiple lists, so
I have removed pgsql-bugs from CC.)

There is a little bit more to that, as we would basically need to do
the work of RemoveTempRelationsCallback() once the temp schema is
dropped, callback registered when the schema is correctly created at
transaction commit (also we need to make sure that
RemoveTempRelationsCallback is not called or unregistered if we were
to authorize DROP SCHEMA on a temp schema).  And then all the reset
done at the beginning of AtEOXact_Namespace() would need to happen.

Anyway, as dropping a temporary schema leads to an inconsistent
behavior when recreating new temporary objects in a session that
dropped it, that nobody has actually complained on the matter, and
that in concept a temporary schema is linked to the session that
created it, I think that we have a lot of arguments to just forbid the
operation from happening.  Please note as well that it is possible to
drop temporary schemas of other sessions, still this is limited to
owners of the schema.

In short, let's tighten the logic, and we had better back-patch this
one all the way down, 9.4 being broken.  Attached is a patch to do
that.  The error message generated depends on the state of the session
so I have not added a test for this reason, and the check is added
before the ACL check.  We could make the error message more generic,
like "cannot drop temporary namespace".  Any thoughts?
--
Michael

Вложения
At Wed, 25 Dec 2019 11:22:03 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in
> Anyway, as dropping a temporary schema leads to an inconsistent
> behavior when recreating new temporary objects in a session that
> dropped it, that nobody has actually complained on the matter, and
> that in concept a temporary schema is linked to the session that

Agreed.

> created it, I think that we have a lot of arguments to just forbid the
> operation from happening.  Please note as well that it is possible to
> drop temporary schemas of other sessions, still this is limited to
> owners of the schema.
>
> In short, let's tighten the logic, and we had better back-patch this
> one all the way down, 9.4 being broken.  Attached is a patch to do
> that.  The error message generated depends on the state of the session
> so I have not added a test for this reason, and the check is added
> before the ACL check.  We could make the error message more generic,
> like "cannot drop temporary namespace".  Any thoughts?

Just inhibiting the action seems reasonable to me.

Still the owner can drop temporary namespace on another session or
pg_toast_temp_x of the current session.

isTempnamespace(address.objectId) doesn't work for the purpose.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 12:18:26PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Still the owner can drop temporary namespace on another session or
> pg_toast_temp_x of the current session.

Arf.  Yes, this had better be isAnyTempNamespace() so as we complain
about all of them.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 at 07:52, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 04:50:58PM +0530, Mahendra Singh wrote:
> > We can fix this problem by either one way 1) reset myTempNamespace to
> > invalid while drooping schema of temp table 2) should not allow to drop
> > temporary table schema
>
> (Please note that it is better not to cross-post on multiple lists, so

Sorry. I was not aware of multiple mail ids. I will take care in future mails.

> I have removed pgsql-bugs from CC.)

Thanks.

> There is a little bit more to that, as we would basically need to do
> the work of RemoveTempRelationsCallback() once the temp schema is
> dropped, callback registered when the schema is correctly created at
> transaction commit (also we need to make sure that
> RemoveTempRelationsCallback is not called or unregistered if we were
> to authorize DROP SCHEMA on a temp schema).  And then all the reset
> done at the beginning of AtEOXact_Namespace() would need to happen.

Thanks for quick detailed analysis.

> Anyway, as dropping a temporary schema leads to an inconsistent
> behavior when recreating new temporary objects in a session that
> dropped it, that nobody has actually complained on the matter, and
> that in concept a temporary schema is linked to the session that
> created it, I think that we have a lot of arguments to just forbid the
> operation from happening.  Please note as well that it is possible to
> drop temporary schemas of other sessions, still this is limited to
> owners of the schema.

Yes, you are right that we can drop temporary schema of other sessions.

Even after applying your attached patch, I am getting same assert
failure because I am able to drop " temporary schema" from other
session so I think, we should not allow to drop any temporary schema
from any session.

> In short, let's tighten the logic, and we had better back-patch this
> one all the way down, 9.4 being broken.  Attached is a patch to do

Yes, I also verified that we have to back-patch till v9.4.

> that.  The error message generated depends on the state of the session
> so I have not added a test for this reason, and the check is added
> before the ACL check.  We could make the error message more generic,
> like "cannot drop temporary namespace".  Any thoughts?

I think, we can make error message as "cannot drop temporary schema"

While applying attached patch on HEAD, I got below warnings:

[mahendra@localhost postgres]$ git apply drop-temp-schema-v1.patch
drop-temp-schema-v1.patch:9: trailing whitespace.
        /*
drop-temp-schema-v1.patch:10: trailing whitespace.
         * Prevent drop of a temporary schema as this would mess up with
drop-temp-schema-v1.patch:11: trailing whitespace.
         * the end-of-session callback cleaning up all temporary objects.
drop-temp-schema-v1.patch:12: trailing whitespace.
         * As the in-memory state is not cleaned up either here, upon
drop-temp-schema-v1.patch:13: trailing whitespace.
         * recreation of a temporary schema within the same session the
error: patch failed: src/backend/commands/dropcmds.c:101
error: src/backend/commands/dropcmds.c: patch does not apply

I think, above warnings are due to "trailing CRs" in patch.

Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 10:07:58AM +0530, Mahendra Singh wrote:
> Yes, you are right that we can drop temporary schema of other sessions.

I have mentioned that upthread, and basically we need to use
isAnyTempNamespace() here.  My mistake.

> While applying attached patch on HEAD, I got below warnings:

The patch applies cleanly for me.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 12:24:10PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Arf.  Yes, this had better be isAnyTempNamespace() so as we complain
> about all of them.

Okay, finally coming back to that.  Attached is an updated patch with
polished comments and the fixed logic.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 at 19:23, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 12:24:10PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Arf.  Yes, this had better be isAnyTempNamespace() so as we complain
> > about all of them.
>
> Okay, finally coming back to that.  Attached is an updated patch with
> polished comments and the fixed logic.

Thanks Michael for patch.

Patch is fixing all the issues.

I think, we can add a regression test for this.
postgres=# create temporary table temp(c1 int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade ;
ERROR:  cannot drop temporary namespace "pg_temp_3"
postgres=#

I have one doubt. Please give me your opinion on below doubt.
Let suppose, I connected 10 sessions at a time and created 1 temporary
table to each session. Then it is creating schema from pg_temp_3 to
pg_temp_12 (one schema for each temp table session).  After that, I
closed all the 10 sessions but if I connect again any session and
checking all the schema, It is still showing pg_temp_3 to pg_temp_12.
Is this expected behavior ? or we should not display any temp table
schema after closing session. I thought that auto_vacuum wlll drop all
the temp table schema but it is not drooping.

Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor

Mahendra Singh <mahi6run@gmail.com> writes:
> I think, we can add a regression test for this.
> postgres=# create temporary table temp(c1 int);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade ;
> ERROR:  cannot drop temporary namespace "pg_temp_3"
> postgres=#

No, we can't, because the particular temp namespace used by a given
session isn't stable.

> I thought that auto_vacuum wlll drop all
> the temp table schema but it is not drooping.

Generally speaking, once a particular pg_temp_N schema exists it's
never dropped, just recycled for use by subsequent sessions.

            regards, tom lane

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 at 23:21, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Mahendra Singh <mahi6run@gmail.com> writes:
> > I think, we can add a regression test for this.
> > postgres=# create temporary table temp(c1 int);
> > CREATE TABLE
> > postgres=# drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade ;
> > ERROR:  cannot drop temporary namespace "pg_temp_3"
> > postgres=#
>
> No, we can't, because the particular temp namespace used by a given
> session isn't stable.
>
> > I thought that auto_vacuum wlll drop all
> > the temp table schema but it is not drooping.
>
> Generally speaking, once a particular pg_temp_N schema exists it's
> never dropped, just recycled for use by subsequent sessions.

Okay. Understood. Thanks for clarification.

Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 12:33:03AM +0530, Mahendra Singh wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 at 23:21, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> No, we can't, because the particular temp namespace used by a given
>> session isn't stable.

And I'd prefer keep the name of the namespace in the error message,
because the information is helpful.

>>> I thought that auto_vacuum wlll drop all
>>> the temp table schema but it is not drooping.
>>
>> Generally speaking, once a particular pg_temp_N schema exists it's
>> never dropped, just recycled for use by subsequent sessions.
>
> Okay. Understood. Thanks for clarification.

Please see RemoveTempRelations() for the details, which uses
PERFORM_DELETION_SKIP_ORIGINAL to avoid a drop of the temp schema, and
just work on all the objects the schema includes.

And committed down to 9.4.  We use much more "temporary schema" in
error messages actually, so I have switched to that.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 4:06 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> And committed down to 9.4.  We use much more "temporary schema" in
> error messages actually, so I have switched to that.

I think this was a bad idea and that it should be reverted. It seems
to me that the problem here is that you introduced a feature which had
a bug, namely that it couldn't tolerate concurrency, and when somebody
discovered the bug, you "fixed" it not by making the code able to
tolerate concurrent activity but by preventing concurrent activity
from happening in the first place. I think that's wrong on general
principle.

In this specific case, DROP SCHEMA on another temporary sessions's
schema is a feature which has existed for a very long time and which I
have used on multiple occasions to repair damaged databases. Suppose,
for example, there's a catalog entry that prevents the schema from
being dropped. Before this commit, you could fix it or delete the
entry and then retry the drop. Now, you can't. You can maybe wait for
autovacuum to retry it or something, assuming autovacuum is working
and you're in multi-user mode.

But even if that weren't the case, this seems like a very fragile fix.
Maybe someday we'll allow multiple autovacuum workers in the same
database, and the problem comes back. Maybe some user who can't drop
the schema because of this arbitrary prohibition will find themselves
forced to delete the pg_namespace row by hand and then crash the
server. Most server code is pretty careful that to either tolerate
missing system catalog tuples or elog(ERROR), not crash (e.g. cache
lookup failed for ...). This code shouldn't be an exception to that
rule.

Also, as a matter of procedure, 3 days from first post to commit is
not a lot, especially when the day something is posted is Christmas
Eve.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 07:37:15AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think this was a bad idea and that it should be reverted. It seems
> to me that the problem here is that you introduced a feature which had
> a bug, namely that it couldn't tolerate concurrency, and when somebody
> discovered the bug, you "fixed" it not by making the code able to
> tolerate concurrent activity but by preventing concurrent activity
> from happening in the first place. I think that's wrong on general
> principle.

Sorry for the delay, there was a long period off here so I could not
have a serious look.

The behavior of the code in 246a6c8 has changed so as a non-existing
temporary namespace is considered as not in use, in which case
autovacuum would consider this relation to be orphaned, and it would
then try to drop it.  Anyway, just a revert of the patch is not a good
idea either, because keeping around the old behavior allows any user
to create orphaned relations that autovacuum would just ignore in
9.4~10, leading to ultimately a forced shutdown of the instance as no
cleanup can happen if this goes unnoticed.  This also puts pg_class
into an inconsistent state as pg_class entries would include
references to a namespace that does not exist for sessions still
holding its own references to myTempNamespace/myTempToastNamespace.

> In this specific case, DROP SCHEMA on another temporary sessions's
> schema is a feature which has existed for a very long time and which I
> have used on multiple occasions to repair damaged databases. Suppose,
> for example, there's a catalog entry that prevents the schema from
> being dropped. Before this commit, you could fix it or delete the
> entry and then retry the drop. Now, you can't. You can maybe wait for
> autovacuum to retry it or something, assuming autovacuum is working
> and you're in multi-user mode.

This behavior is broken since its introduction then per the above.  If
we were to allow DROP SCHEMA to work properly on temporary schema, we
would need to do more than what we have now, and that does not involve
just mimicking DISCARD TEMP if you really wish to be able to drop the
schema entirely and not only the objects it includes.  Allowing a
temporary schema to be dropped only if it is owned by the current
session would be simple enough to implement, but I think that allowing
that to work properly for a schema owned by another session would be
rather difficult to implement for little gains.  Now, if you still
wish to be able to do a DROP SCHEMA on a temporary schema, I have no
objections to allow doing that, but under some conditions.  So I would
recommend to restrict it so as this operation is not allowed by
default, and I think we ought to use allow_system_table_mods to
control that, because if you were to do that you are an operator and
you know what you are doing.  Normally :)

> But even if that weren't the case, this seems like a very fragile fix.
> Maybe someday we'll allow multiple autovacuum workers in the same
> database, and the problem comes back. Maybe some user who can't drop
> the schema because of this arbitrary prohibition will find themselves
> forced to delete the pg_namespace row by hand and then crash the
> server. Most server code is pretty careful that to either tolerate
> missing system catalog tuples or elog(ERROR), not crash (e.g. cache
> lookup failed for ...). This code shouldn't be an exception to that
> rule.

You are right here, things could be done better in 11 and newer
versions, still there are multiple ways to do that.  Here are three
suggestions:
1) Issue an elog(ERROR) as that's what we do usually for lookup errors
and such when seeing an orphaned relation which refers to a
non-existing namespace.  But this would prevent autovacuum to do
any kind of work and just loop over-and-over on the same error, just
bloating the database involved.
2) Ignore the relation and leave it around, though we really have been
fighting to make autovacuum more aggressive, so that would defeat the
work done lately for that purpose.
3) Still drop the orphaned relation even if it references to a
non-existing schema, generating an appropriate LOG message so as the
problem comes from an incorrect lookup at the namespace name.

Attached is a patch doing two things:
a) Control DROP SCHEMA on a temporary namespace using
allow_system_table_mods.
b) Generate a non-buggy LOG message if trying to remove a temp
relation referring to a temporary schema that does not exist, using
"(null)" as a replacement for the schema name.

My suggestion is to do a) down to 9.4 if that's thought to be helpful
to have, and at least Robert visibly thinks so, then b) in 11~ as
that's where 246a6c8 exists.  Comments welcome.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 8:42 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> The behavior of the code in 246a6c8 has changed so as a non-existing
> temporary namespace is considered as not in use, in which case
> autovacuum would consider this relation to be orphaned, and it would
> then try to drop it.  Anyway, just a revert of the patch is not a good
> idea either, because keeping around the old behavior allows any user
> to create orphaned relations that autovacuum would just ignore in
> 9.4~10, leading to ultimately a forced shutdown of the instance as no
> cleanup can happen if this goes unnoticed.  This also puts pg_class
> into an inconsistent state as pg_class entries would include
> references to a namespace that does not exist for sessions still
> holding its own references to myTempNamespace/myTempToastNamespace.

I'm not arguing for a revert of 246a6c8.  I think we should just change this:

                ereport(LOG,
                                (errmsg("autovacuum: dropping orphan
temp table \"%s.%s.%s\"",
                                                get_database_name(MyDatabaseId),

get_namespace_name(classForm->relnamespace),
                                                NameStr(classForm->relname))));

To look more like:

char *nspname = get_namespace_name(classForm->relnamespace);
if (nspname != NULL)
   ereport(..."autovacuum: dropping orphan temp table \"%s.%s.%s\"...)
else
   ereport(..."autovacuum: dropping orphan temp table with OID %u"....)

If we do that, then I think we can just revert
a052f6cbb84e5630d50b68586cecc127e64be639 completely. As a side
benefit, this would also provide some insurance against other
possibly-problematic situations, like a corrupted pg_class row with a
garbage value in the relnamespace field, which is something I've seen
multiple times in the field.

I can't quite understand your comments about why we shouldn't do that,
but the reported bug is just a null pointer reference. Incredibly,
autovacuum.c seems to have been using get_namespace_name() without a
null check since 2006, so it's not really the fault of your patch as I
had originally thought. I wonder how in the world we've managed to get
away with it for as long as we have.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> I'm not arguing for a revert of 246a6c8.  I think we should just change this:
> To look more like:

> char *nspname = get_namespace_name(classForm->relnamespace);
> if (nspname != NULL)
>    ereport(..."autovacuum: dropping orphan temp table \"%s.%s.%s\"...)
> else
>    ereport(..."autovacuum: dropping orphan temp table with OID %u"....)

> If we do that, then I think we can just revert
> a052f6cbb84e5630d50b68586cecc127e64be639 completely.

+1 to both of those --- although I think we could still provide the
table name in the null-nspname case.

> autovacuum.c seems to have been using get_namespace_name() without a
> null check since 2006, so it's not really the fault of your patch as I
> had originally thought. I wonder how in the world we've managed to get
> away with it for as long as we have.

Maybe we haven't.  It's not clear that infrequent autovac crashes would
get reported to us, or that we'd successfully find the cause if they were.

I think what you propose above is a back-patchable bug fix.

            regards, tom lane

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 12:33:47PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not arguing for a revert of 246a6c8.  I think we should just change this:
>> To look more like:
>
>> char *nspname = get_namespace_name(classForm->relnamespace);
>> if (nspname != NULL)
>>    ereport(..."autovacuum: dropping orphan temp table \"%s.%s.%s\"...)
>> else
>>    ereport(..."autovacuum: dropping orphan temp table with OID %u"....)
>
>> If we do that, then I think we can just revert
>> a052f6cbb84e5630d50b68586cecc127e64be639 completely.
>
> +1 to both of those --- although I think we could still provide the
> table name in the null-nspname case.

Okay for the first one, printing the OID sounds like a good idea.
Like Tom, I would prefer keeping the relation name with "(null)" for
the schema name.  Or even better, could we just print the OID all the
time?  What's preventing us from showing that information in the first
place?  And that still looks good to have when debugging issues IMO
for orphaned entries.

For the second one, I would really wish that we keep the restriction
put in place by a052f6c until we actually figure out how to make the
operation safe in the ways we want it to work because this puts
the catalogs into an inconsistent state for any object type able to
use a temporary schema, like functions, domains etc. for example able
to use "pg_temp" as a synonym for the temp namespace name.  And any
connected user is able to do that.  On top of that, except for tables,
these could remain as orphaned entries after a crash, no?  Allowing
the operation only via allow_system_table_mods gives an exit path
actually if you really wish to do so, which is fine by me as startup
controls that, aka an administrator.

In short, I don't think that it is sane to keep in place the property,
visibly accidental (?) for any user to create inconsistent catalog
entries using a static state in the session which is incorrect in
namespace.c, except if we make DROP SCHEMA on a temporary schema have
a behavior close to DISCARD TEMP.  Again, for the owner of the session
that's simple, no clear idea how to do that safely when the drop is
done from another session not owning the temp schema.

> Maybe we haven't.  It's not clear that infrequent autovac crashes would
> get reported to us, or that we'd successfully find the cause if they were.
>
> I think what you propose above is a back-patchable bug fix.

Yeah, likely it is safer to fix the logs in the long run down to 9.4.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:22 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> Okay for the first one, printing the OID sounds like a good idea.
> Like Tom, I would prefer keeping the relation name with "(null)" for
> the schema name.  Or even better, could we just print the OID all the
> time?  What's preventing us from showing that information in the first
> place?  And that still looks good to have when debugging issues IMO
> for orphaned entries.

I think we should have two different messages, rather than trying to
shoehorn things into one message using a fake schema name.

> For the second one, I would really wish that we keep the restriction
> put in place by a052f6c until we actually figure out how to make the
> operation safe in the ways we want it to work because this puts
> the catalogs into an inconsistent state for any object type able to
> use a temporary schema, like functions, domains etc. for example able
> to use "pg_temp" as a synonym for the temp namespace name.  And any
> connected user is able to do that.

So what?

> On top of that, except for tables,
> these could remain as orphaned entries after a crash, no?

Tables, too, although they want have storage any more. But your patch
in no way prevents that. It just makes it harder to fix when it does
happen. So I see no advantages of it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:22 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> For the second one, I would really wish that we keep the restriction
>> put in place by a052f6c until we actually figure out how to make the
>> operation safe in the ways we want it to work because this puts
>> the catalogs into an inconsistent state for any object type able to
>> use a temporary schema, like functions, domains etc. for example able
>> to use "pg_temp" as a synonym for the temp namespace name.  And any
>> connected user is able to do that.

> So what?

I still agree with Robert that a052f6c is a bad idea.  It's not the case
that that's blocking "any connected user" from causing an issue.  The
temp schemas are always owned by the bootstrap superuser, so only a
superuser could delete them.  All that that patch is doing is preventing
superusers from doing something that they could reasonably wish to do,
and that is perfectly safe when there's not concurrent usage of the
schema.  We are not normally that nanny-ish, and the case for being so
here seems pretty thin.

            regards, tom lane

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 01:06:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I still agree with Robert that a052f6c is a bad idea.  It's not the case
> that that's blocking "any connected user" from causing an issue.  The
> temp schemas are always owned by the bootstrap superuser, so only a
> superuser could delete them.  All that that patch is doing is preventing
> superusers from doing something that they could reasonably wish to do,
> and that is perfectly safe when there's not concurrent usage of the
> schema.  We are not normally that nanny-ish, and the case for being so
> here seems pretty thin.

Okay, I am running out of arguments then, so attached is a patch to
address things.  I would also prefer if we keep the relation name in
the log even if the namespace is missing.
--
Michael

> Okay, I am running out of arguments then, so attached is a patch to
> address things.  I would also prefer if we keep the relation name in
> the log even if the namespace is missing.

A couple of thoughts:

* Please revert a052f6c as a separate commit specifically doing that,
so that when it comes time to make the release notes, it's clear that
a052f6c doesn't require documentation.

* I think the check on log_min_messages <= LOG is probably wrong, since
LOG sorts out of order for this purpose.  Compare is_log_level_output()
in elog.c.  I'd suggest not bothering with trying to optimize away the
get_namespace_name call here; we shouldn't be in this code path often
enough for performance to matter, and nobody ever cared about it before.

* I don't greatly like the notation
    dropping orphan temp table \"%s.(null).%s\" ...
and I bet Robert won't either.  Not sure offhand about a better
idea --- maybe
    dropping orphan temp table \"%s\" with OID %u in database \"%s\"

            regards, tom lane

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 07:55:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> * Please revert a052f6c as a separate commit specifically doing that,
> so that when it comes time to make the release notes, it's clear that
> a052f6c doesn't require documentation.

Okay.  Committed the revert first then.

> * I think the check on log_min_messages <= LOG is probably wrong, since
> LOG sorts out of order for this purpose.  Compare is_log_level_output()
> in elog.c.  I'd suggest not bothering with trying to optimize away the
> get_namespace_name call here; we shouldn't be in this code path often
> enough for performance to matter, and nobody ever cared about it before.

Done.

> * I don't greatly like the notation
>     dropping orphan temp table \"%s.(null).%s\" ...
> and I bet Robert won't either.  Not sure offhand about a better
> idea --- maybe
>     dropping orphan temp table \"%s\" with OID %u in database \"%s\"

And done this way as per the attached.  I am of course open to
objections or better ideas, though this looks formulation looks pretty
good to me.  Robert?
--
Michael

Вложения
On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 10:56:01AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> And done this way as per the attached.  I am of course open to
> objections or better ideas, though this looks formulation looks pretty
> good to me.  Robert?

Just to be clear here, I would like to commit this patch and backpatch
with the current formulation in the error strings in the follow-up
days.  In 9.4~10, the error cannot be reached, but that feels safer if
we begin to work again on this portion of the autovacuum code.  So if
you would like to object, that's the moment..
--
Michael

Вложения
On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 09:36, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 10:56:01AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > And done this way as per the attached.  I am of course open to
> > objections or better ideas, though this looks formulation looks pretty
> > good to me.  Robert?
>
> Just to be clear here, I would like to commit this patch and backpatch
> with the current formulation in the error strings in the follow-up
> days.  In 9.4~10, the error cannot be reached, but that feels safer if
> we begin to work again on this portion of the autovacuum code.  So if
> you would like to object, that's the moment..

I reviewed and tested the patch. After applying patch, I am getting other assert failure.

postgres=# CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp (a int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# \d
          List of relations
  Schema   | Name | Type  |  Owner
-----------+------+-------+----------
 pg_temp_3 | temp | table | mahendra
(1 row)

postgres=# drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade ;
NOTICE:  drop cascades to table temp
DROP SCHEMA
postgres=# \d
Did not find any relations.
postgres=# CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp (a int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# \d
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
    before or while processing the request.
postgres=#

Stack trace:
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007f7d749bd277 in __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:56
#1  0x00007f7d749be968 in __GI_abort () at abort.c:90
#2  0x0000000000eca3c4 in ExceptionalCondition (conditionName=0x114cc08 "relation->rd_backend != InvalidBackendId", errorType=0x114ca8b "FailedAssertion",
    fileName=0x114c8b0 "relcache.c", lineNumber=1123) at assert.c:67
#3  0x0000000000eaacb9 in RelationBuildDesc (targetRelId=16392, insertIt=true) at relcache.c:1123
#4  0x0000000000eadf61 in RelationIdGetRelation (relationId=16392) at relcache.c:2021
#5  0x000000000049f370 in relation_open (relationId=16392, lockmode=8) at relation.c:59
#6  0x000000000064ccda in heap_drop_with_catalog (relid=16392) at heap.c:1890
#7  0x00000000006435f3 in doDeletion (object=0x2d623c0, flags=21) at dependency.c:1360
#8  0x0000000000643180 in deleteOneObject (object=0x2d623c0, depRel=0x7ffcb9636290, flags=21) at dependency.c:1261
#9  0x0000000000640d97 in deleteObjectsInList (targetObjects=0x2dce438, depRel=0x7ffcb9636290, flags=21) at dependency.c:271
#10 0x0000000000640ed6 in performDeletion (object=0x7ffcb96363b0, behavior=DROP_CASCADE, flags=21) at dependency.c:356
#11 0x0000000000aebc3d in do_autovacuum () at autovacuum.c:2269
#12 0x0000000000aea478 in AutoVacWorkerMain (argc=0, argv=0x0) at autovacuum.c:1693
#13 0x0000000000ae9cf9 in StartAutoVacWorker () at autovacuum.c:1487
#14 0x0000000000b13cdc in StartAutovacuumWorker () at postmaster.c:5562
#15 0x0000000000b131b5 in sigusr1_handler (postgres_signal_arg=10) at postmaster.c:5279
#16 <signal handler called>
#17 0x00007f7d74a7cc53 in __select_nocancel () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
#18 0x0000000000b09fc9 in ServerLoop () at postmaster.c:1691
#19 0x0000000000b09544 in PostmasterMain (argc=3, argv=0x2ce2290) at postmaster.c:1400
#20 0x0000000000974b43 in main (argc=3, argv=0x2ce2290) at main.c:210

I think, before committing 1st patch, we should fix this crash also and then we should commit all the patches.

Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:56:37AM +0530, Mahendra Singh Thalor wrote:
> I reviewed and tested the patch. After applying patch, I am getting other
> assert failure.
>
> I think, before committing 1st patch, we should fix this crash also and
> then we should commit all the patches.

I have somewhat managed to break my environment for a couple of days
so as I got zero testing done with assertions, so I missed this one.
Thanks for the lookup!  The environment is fixed since.

This code path uses an assertion that would become incorrect once you
are able to create in pg_class temporary relations which rely on a
temporary schema that does not exist anymore, because its schema has
been dropped it, and that's what you are doing.  The assertion does
not concern only autovacuum originally, as it would fail each time a
session tries to build a relation descriptor for its cache with a
relation using a non-existing namespace.  I have not really dug if
that's actually possible to trigger..  Anyway.

So, on the one hand, saying that we allow orphaned temporary relations
to be dropped even if their schema does not exist is what autovacuum
does now more aggressively, so that can help to avoid having to clean
up yourself orphaned entries from catalogs, following up with their
toast entries, etc.  And this approach makes the assertion lose its
meaning for autovacuum.

On the other hand keeping this assertion makes sure that we never try
to load incorrect relcache entries, and just make autovacuum less
aggressive by ignoring orphaned entries with incorrect namespace
references, though the user experience in fixing the cluster means
manual manipulation of the catalogs.  This is something I understood
we'd like to avoid as much as possible, while keeping autovacuum
aggressive on the removal as that can ease the life of people fixing a
cluster.  So this would bring us back to a point intermediate of
246a6c8.

This makes me wonder how much we should try to outsmart somebody which
puts the catalogs in such a inconsistent state.  Hmm.  Perhaps at the
end autovacuum should just ignore such entries and just don't help the
user at all as this also comes with its own issues with the storage
level as well as smgr.c uses rd_backend.  And if the user plays with
temporary namespaces like that with superuser rights, he likely knows
what he is doing.  Perhaps not :D, in which case autovacuum may not be
the best thing to decide that.  I still think we should make the log
of autovacuum.c for orphaned relations more careful with its coding
though, and fix it with the previous patch.  The documentation of
isTempNamespaceInUse() could gain in clarity, just a nit from me while
looking at the surroundings.  And actually I found an issue with its
logic, as the routine would not consider a temp namespace in use for a
session's own MyBackendId.  As that's only used for autovacuum, this
has no consequence, but let's be correct in hte long run.

And this gives the attached after a closer lookup.  Thoughts?
--
Michael

Вложения
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 05:01:25PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> This makes me wonder how much we should try to outsmart somebody which
> puts the catalogs in such a inconsistent state.  Hmm.  Perhaps at the
> end autovacuum should just ignore such entries and just don't help the
> user at all as this also comes with its own issues with the storage
> level as well as smgr.c uses rd_backend.  And if the user plays with
> temporary namespaces like that with superuser rights, he likely knows
> what he is doing.  Perhaps not :D, in which case autovacuum may not be
> the best thing to decide that.  I still think we should make the log
> of autovacuum.c for orphaned relations more careful with its coding
> though, and fix it with the previous patch.  The documentation of
> isTempNamespaceInUse() could gain in clarity, just a nit from me while
> looking at the surroundings.  And actually I found an issue with its
> logic, as the routine would not consider a temp namespace in use for a
> session's own MyBackendId.  As that's only used for autovacuum, this
> has no consequence, but let's be correct in hte long run.
>
> And this gives the attached after a closer lookup.  Thoughts?

Thinking more about it, this has a race condition if a temporary
schema is removed after collecting the OIDs in the drop phase.  So the
updated attached is actually much more conservative and does not need
an update of the log message, without giving up on the improvements
done in v11~.  In 9.4~10, the code of the second phase relies on
GetTempNamespaceBackendId() which causes an orphaned relation to not
be dropped in the event of a missing namespace.  I'll just leave that
alone for a couple of days now..
--
Michael

Вложения
On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 16:37, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 05:01:25PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > This makes me wonder how much we should try to outsmart somebody which
> > puts the catalogs in such a inconsistent state.  Hmm.  Perhaps at the
> > end autovacuum should just ignore such entries and just don't help the
> > user at all as this also comes with its own issues with the storage
> > level as well as smgr.c uses rd_backend.  And if the user plays with
> > temporary namespaces like that with superuser rights, he likely knows
> > what he is doing.  Perhaps not :D, in which case autovacuum may not be
> > the best thing to decide that.  I still think we should make the log
> > of autovacuum.c for orphaned relations more careful with its coding
> > though, and fix it with the previous patch.  The documentation of
> > isTempNamespaceInUse() could gain in clarity, just a nit from me while
> > looking at the surroundings.  And actually I found an issue with its
> > logic, as the routine would not consider a temp namespace in use for a
> > session's own MyBackendId.  As that's only used for autovacuum, this
> > has no consequence, but let's be correct in hte long run.
> >
> > And this gives the attached after a closer lookup.  Thoughts?
>
> Thinking more about it, this has a race condition if a temporary
> schema is removed after collecting the OIDs in the drop phase.  So the
> updated attached is actually much more conservative and does not need
> an update of the log message, without giving up on the improvements
> done in v11~.  In 9.4~10, the code of the second phase relies on
> GetTempNamespaceBackendId() which causes an orphaned relation to not
> be dropped in the event of a missing namespace.  I'll just leave that
> alone for a couple of days now..
> --

Thanks for the patch. I am not getting any crash but \d is not showing
any temp table if we drop temp schema and create again temp table.

postgres=# create temporary table test1 (a int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# \d
          List of relations
  Schema   | Name  | Type  |  Owner
-----------+-------+-------+----------
 pg_temp_3 | test1 | table | mahendra
(1 row)

postgres=# drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade ;
NOTICE:  drop cascades to table test1
DROP SCHEMA
postgres=# \d
Did not find any relations.
postgres=# create temporary table test1 (a int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# \d
Did not find any relations.
postgres=#

Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor

> [ patch to skip tables if get_namespace_name fails ]

This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.  Is there any
evidence that it's fixing an actual problem?  What if the table
you're skipping is holding back datfrozenxid?

            regards, tom lane

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 09:50:58AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.  Is there any
> evidence that it's fixing an actual problem?  What if the table
> you're skipping is holding back datfrozenxid?

That's the point I wanted to make sure: we don't because autovacuum
has never actually been able to do that and because the cluster is
put in this state by a superuser after issuing DROP SCHEMA on its
temporary schema, which allows many fancy things based on the
inconsistent state the session is on.  Please see see for example
REL_10_STABLE where GetTempNamespaceBackendId() would return
InvalidBackendId when the namespace does not exist, so the drop is
skipped.  246a6c8 (designed to track if a backend slot is using a temp
namespace or not, allowing cleanup of orphaned tables if the namespace
is around, still not used yet by the session it is assigned to) has
changed the logic, accidentally actually, to also allow an orphaned
temp table to be dropped even if its namespace does not exist
anymore.

If we say that it's fine for autovacuum to allow the drop of such
inconsistent pg_class entries, then we would need to either remove or
relax the assertion in relcache.c:1123 (RelationBuildDesc, should only
autovacuum be allowed to do so?) to begin to allow autovacuum to
remove temp relations.  However, this does not sound like a correct
thing to do IMO.  So, note that if autovacuum is allowed to do so, you
basically defeat partially the purpose of the assertion added by
debcec7d in relcache.c.  Another thing noticeable is that If
autovacuum does the pg_class entry drops, the on-disk files for the
temp relations would remain until the cluster is restarted by the
way.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 05:54:21PM +0530, Mahendra Singh Thalor wrote:
> Thanks for the patch. I am not getting any crash but \d is not showing
> any temp table if we drop temp schema and create again temp table.

That's expected.  As discussed on this thread, the schema has been
dropped by a superuser and there are cases where it is helpful to do
so, so the relation you have created after DROP SCHEMA relies on an
inconsistent session state.  If you actually try to use \d with a
relation name that matches the one you just created, psql would just
show nothing for the namespace name.
--
Michael

Вложения
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 08:07:48PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Thinking more about it, this has a race condition if a temporary
> schema is removed after collecting the OIDs in the drop phase.  So the
> updated attached is actually much more conservative and does not need
> an update of the log message, without giving up on the improvements
> done in v11~.  In 9.4~10, the code of the second phase relies on
> GetTempNamespaceBackendId() which causes an orphaned relation to not
> be dropped in the event of a missing namespace.  I'll just leave that
> alone for a couple of days now..

And back on that one, I still like better the solution as of the
attached which skips any relations with their namespace gone missing
as 246a6c87's intention was only to allow orphaned temp relations to
be dropped by autovacuum when a backend slot is connected, but not
using yet its own temp namespace.

If we want the drop of temp relations to work properly, more thoughts
are needed regarding the storage part, and I am not actually sure that
it is autovacuum's job to handle that better.

Any thoughts?
--
Michael

Вложения
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 09:36, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 08:07:48PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Thinking more about it, this has a race condition if a temporary
> > schema is removed after collecting the OIDs in the drop phase.  So the
> > updated attached is actually much more conservative and does not need
> > an update of the log message, without giving up on the improvements
> > done in v11~.  In 9.4~10, the code of the second phase relies on
> > GetTempNamespaceBackendId() which causes an orphaned relation to not
> > be dropped in the event of a missing namespace.  I'll just leave that
> > alone for a couple of days now..
>
> And back on that one, I still like better the solution as of the
> attached which skips any relations with their namespace gone missing
> as 246a6c87's intention was only to allow orphaned temp relations to
> be dropped by autovacuum when a backend slot is connected, but not
> using yet its own temp namespace.
>
> If we want the drop of temp relations to work properly, more thoughts
> are needed regarding the storage part, and I am not actually sure that
> it is autovacuum's job to handle that better.
>
> Any thoughts?
Hi,

Patch looks good to me and it is fixing the assert failure.

--
Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 11:29:56AM +0530, Mahendra Singh Thalor wrote:
> Patch looks good to me and it is fixing the assert failure.

Thanks for looking at the patch.  Bringing the code to act
consistently with what was done in 246a6c8 still looks like the
correct direction to take, in short don't drop temp relations created
without an existing temp schema and ignore them instead of creating
more issues with the storage, so I'd like to apply and back-patch this
stuff down to 11.  First, let's wait a couple of extra days.
--
Michael

> And back on that one, I still like better the solution as of the
> attached which skips any relations with their namespace gone missing
> as 246a6c87's intention was only to allow orphaned temp relations to
> be dropped by autovacuum when a backend slot is connected, but not
> using yet its own temp namespace.

Simply skipping the drop looks like basically the right fix to me.

A tiny nit is that using "get_namespace_name(...) != NULL" as a test for
existence of the namespace seems a bit weird/unreadable.  I'd be more
inclined to code that as a SearchSysCacheExists test, at least in the
place where you don't actually need the namespace name.

Also, I notice that isTempNamespaceInUse is already detecting the case
where the namespace doesn't exist or isn't really a temp namespace.
I wonder whether it'd be better to teach that to return an indicator about
the namespace not being what you think it is.  That would force us to look
at its other callers to see if any of them have related bugs, which seems
like a good thing to check --- and even if they don't, having to think
about the point in future call sites might forestall new bugs.

            regards, tom lane

I wrote:
> Also, I notice that isTempNamespaceInUse is already detecting the case
> where the namespace doesn't exist or isn't really a temp namespace.
> I wonder whether it'd be better to teach that to return an indicator about
> the namespace not being what you think it is.  That would force us to look
> at its other callers to see if any of them have related bugs, which seems
> like a good thing to check --- and even if they don't, having to think
> about the point in future call sites might forestall new bugs.

After poking around, I see there aren't any other callers.  But I think
that the cause of this bug is clearly failure to think carefully about
the different cases that isTempNamespaceInUse is recognizing, so that
the right way to fix it is more like the attached.

In the back branches, we could leave isTempNamespaceInUse() in place
but unused, just in case somebody is calling it.  I kind of doubt that
anyone is, given the small usage in core, but maybe.

            regards, tom lane

diff --git a/src/backend/catalog/namespace.c b/src/backend/catalog/namespace.c
index e70243a..5ff7824 100644
--- a/src/backend/catalog/namespace.c
+++ b/src/backend/catalog/namespace.c
@@ -3217,7 +3217,7 @@ isOtherTempNamespace(Oid namespaceId)
 }

 /*
- * isTempNamespaceInUse - is the given namespace owned and actively used
+ * checkTempNamespaceStatus - is the given namespace owned and actively used
  * by a backend?
  *
  * Note: this can be used while scanning relations in pg_class to detect
@@ -3225,8 +3225,8 @@ isOtherTempNamespace(Oid namespaceId)
  * given database.  The result may be out of date quickly, so the caller
  * must be careful how to handle this information.
  */
-bool
-isTempNamespaceInUse(Oid namespaceId)
+TempNamespaceStatus
+checkTempNamespaceStatus(Oid namespaceId)
 {
     PGPROC       *proc;
     int            backendId;
@@ -3235,25 +3235,25 @@ isTempNamespaceInUse(Oid namespaceId)

     backendId = GetTempNamespaceBackendId(namespaceId);

-    /* No such temporary namespace? */
+    /* No such namespace, or its name shows it's not temp? */
     if (backendId == InvalidBackendId)
-        return false;
+        return TEMP_NAMESPACE_NOT_TEMP;

     /* Is the backend alive? */
     proc = BackendIdGetProc(backendId);
     if (proc == NULL)
-        return false;
+        return TEMP_NAMESPACE_IDLE;

     /* Is the backend connected to the same database we are looking at? */
     if (proc->databaseId != MyDatabaseId)
-        return false;
+        return TEMP_NAMESPACE_IDLE;

     /* Does the backend own the temporary namespace? */
     if (proc->tempNamespaceId != namespaceId)
-        return false;
+        return TEMP_NAMESPACE_IDLE;

-    /* all good to go */
-    return true;
+    /* Yup, so namespace is busy */
+    return TEMP_NAMESPACE_IN_USE;
 }

 /*
diff --git a/src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c b/src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c
index 6d1f28c..5314228 100644
--- a/src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c
+++ b/src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c
@@ -2073,7 +2073,7 @@ do_autovacuum(void)
              * We just ignore it if the owning backend is still active and
              * using the temporary schema.
              */
-            if (!isTempNamespaceInUse(classForm->relnamespace))
+            if (checkTempNamespaceStatus(classForm->relnamespace) == TEMP_NAMESPACE_IDLE)
             {
                 /*
                  * The table seems to be orphaned -- although it might be that
@@ -2243,7 +2243,7 @@ do_autovacuum(void)
             continue;
         }

-        if (isTempNamespaceInUse(classForm->relnamespace))
+        if (checkTempNamespaceStatus(classForm->relnamespace) != TEMP_NAMESPACE_IDLE)
         {
             UnlockRelationOid(relid, AccessExclusiveLock);
             continue;
diff --git a/src/include/catalog/namespace.h b/src/include/catalog/namespace.h
index d67f93a..3e3a192 100644
--- a/src/include/catalog/namespace.h
+++ b/src/include/catalog/namespace.h
@@ -38,6 +38,16 @@ typedef struct _FuncCandidateList
 }           *FuncCandidateList;

 /*
+ * Result of checkTempNamespaceStatus
+ */
+typedef enum TempNamespaceStatus
+{
+    TEMP_NAMESPACE_NOT_TEMP,    /* nonexistent, or non-temp namespace */
+    TEMP_NAMESPACE_IDLE,        /* exists, belongs to no active session */
+    TEMP_NAMESPACE_IN_USE        /* belongs to some active session */
+} TempNamespaceStatus;
+
+/*
  *    Structure for xxxOverrideSearchPath functions
  */
 typedef struct OverrideSearchPath
@@ -138,7 +148,7 @@ extern bool isTempToastNamespace(Oid namespaceId);
 extern bool isTempOrTempToastNamespace(Oid namespaceId);
 extern bool isAnyTempNamespace(Oid namespaceId);
 extern bool isOtherTempNamespace(Oid namespaceId);
-extern bool isTempNamespaceInUse(Oid namespaceId);
+extern TempNamespaceStatus checkTempNamespaceStatus(Oid namespaceId);
 extern int    GetTempNamespaceBackendId(Oid namespaceId);
 extern Oid    GetTempToastNamespace(void);
 extern void GetTempNamespaceState(Oid *tempNamespaceId,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 01:45:29PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> After poking around, I see there aren't any other callers.  But I think
> that the cause of this bug is clearly failure to think carefully about
> the different cases that isTempNamespaceInUse is recognizing, so that
> the right way to fix it is more like the attached.

Good idea, thanks.  Your suggestion looks good to me.

> In the back branches, we could leave isTempNamespaceInUse() in place
> but unused, just in case somebody is calling it.  I kind of doubt that
> anyone is, given the small usage in core, but maybe.

I doubt that there are any external callers, but I'd rather leave the
past API in place on back-branches.
--
Michael

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 01:45:29PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> After poking around, I see there aren't any other callers.  But I think
>> that the cause of this bug is clearly failure to think carefully about
>> the different cases that isTempNamespaceInUse is recognizing, so that
>> the right way to fix it is more like the attached.

> Good idea, thanks.  Your suggestion looks good to me.

Will push that, thanks for looking.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 07:23:38PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Will push that, thanks for looking.

Thanks for the commit.
--
Michael