Обсуждение: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

От
Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Дата:
Hello,

I have come around a strange situation when using a unicode string
that has non normalized characters. The attached script 'initcap.sql'
can reproduce the problem.

The attached patch can fix the issue.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

Вложения

Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

Дата:
=?UTF-8?Q?Juan_Jos=C3=A9_Santamar=C3=ADa_Flecha?= <juanjo.santamaria@gmail.com> writes:
> I have come around a strange situation when using a unicode string
> that has non normalized characters. The attached script 'initcap.sql'
> can reproduce the problem.
> The attached patch can fix the issue.

If we're going to start worrying about non-normalized characters,
I suspect there are far more places than this one that we'd have
to consider buggy :-(.

As for the details of the patch, it seems overly certain that
it's working with UTF8 data.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Sep-20, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?UTF-8?Q?Juan_Jos=C3=A9_Santamar=C3=ADa_Flecha?= <juanjo.santamaria@gmail.com> writes:
> > I have come around a strange situation when using a unicode string
> > that has non normalized characters. The attached script 'initcap.sql'
> > can reproduce the problem.

For illustration purposes:

SELECT initcap('ŞUB');
 initcap
─────────
 Şub
(1 fila)

SELECT initcap('ŞUB');
 initcap
─────────
 ŞUb
(1 fila)

> If we're going to start worrying about non-normalized characters,
> I suspect there are far more places than this one that we'd have
> to consider buggy :-(.

I would think that we have to start somewhere, rather than take the
position that we can never do anything about it.

(ref: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/53E179E1.3060404%402ndquadrant.com )

Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

От
Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 2:42 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Sep-20, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > If we're going to start worrying about non-normalized characters,
> > I suspect there are far more places than this one that we'd have
> > to consider buggy :-(.
>
> I would think that we have to start somewhere, rather than take the
> position that we can never do anything about it.
>
> (ref: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/53E179E1.3060404%402ndquadrant.com )

This conversation is prior to having the normalization code available
[1]. Nowadays this particular issue seems like low hanging fruit, but
I agree it would be problematic if it was the only normalization-aware
function, although most functions are sure to be troubleless if
nothing has been reported before.

The attached patch addresses the comment about assuming UTF8.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=60f11b87a2349985230c08616fa8a34ffde934c8

Вложения

Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Sep-22, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:

> The attached patch addresses the comment about assuming UTF8.

The UTF8 bits looks reasonable to me.  I guess the other part of that
question is whether we support any other multibyte encoding that
supports combining characters.  Maybe for cases other than UTF8 we can
test for 0-width chars (using pg_encoding_dsplen() perhaps?) and drive
the upper/lower decision off that?  (For the UTF8 case, I don't know if
Juanjo's proposal is better than pg_encoding_dsplen.  Both seem to boil
down to a bsearch, though unicode_norm.c's table seems much larger than
wchar.c's).

Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

От
Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 3:38 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> The UTF8 bits looks reasonable to me.  I guess the other part of that
> question is whether we support any other multibyte encoding that
> supports combining characters.  Maybe for cases other than UTF8 we can
> test for 0-width chars (using pg_encoding_dsplen() perhaps?) and drive
> the upper/lower decision off that?  (For the UTF8 case, I don't know if
> Juanjo's proposal is better than pg_encoding_dsplen.  Both seem to boil
> down to a bsearch, though unicode_norm.c's table seems much larger than
> wchar.c's).

Using pg_encoding_dsplen() looks like the way to go. The normalizarion
logic included in ucs_wcwidth() already does what is need to avoid the
issue, so there is no need to use unicode_norm_table.h. UTF8 is the
only multibyte encoding that can return a 0-width dsplen, so this
approach would also works for all the other encodings that do not use
combining characters.

Please find attached a patch with this approach.

Regards,