Обсуждение: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
If an autovacuum job on a huge table runs for 5-6 hours, do its freed
pages/tuples become available for reuse immediately when they are marked
as free, or only at the end of the multi-hour vacuum operation?

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

Дата:
rihad <rihad@mail.ru> writes:
> If an autovacuum job on a huge table runs for 5-6 hours, do its freed
> pages/tuples become available for reuse immediately when they are marked
> as free, or only at the end of the multi-hour vacuum operation?

They'll be freed in batches, where the size of a batch depends on the
autovacuum_work_mem or maintenance_work_mem setting.  The basic
work cycle is

* scan table to find dead tuples, save their TIDs in working memory;
  continue until end of table or working memory full
* scan indexes to find index entries matching those TIDs, remove 'em
* if not end of table, repeat

So a larger work-mem setting means fewer passes over the indexes,
but a longer time until space is reclaimed.

            regards, tom lane

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 05:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> rihad <rihad@mail.ru> writes:
>> If an autovacuum job on a huge table runs for 5-6 hours, do its freed
>> pages/tuples become available for reuse immediately when they are marked
>> as free, or only at the end of the multi-hour vacuum operation?
> They'll be freed in batches, where the size of a batch depends on the
> autovacuum_work_mem or maintenance_work_mem setting.  The basic
> work cycle is
>
> * scan table to find dead tuples, save their TIDs in working memory;
>    continue until end of table or working memory full
> * scan indexes to find index entries matching those TIDs, remove 'em
> * if not end of table, repeat
>
> So a larger work-mem setting means fewer passes over the indexes,
> but a longer time until space is reclaimed.
>
>             regards, tom lane
> .

Thanks! Our autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB, so this probably means any space
would be available for reuse only at the end of the vacuum? Are there
any downsides in decreasing it to, say, 64MB? I see only pluses )

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:

> Thanks! Our autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB, so this probably means any space
> would be available for reuse only at the end of the vacuum? Are there any
> downsides in decreasing it to, say, 64MB? I see only pluses )

Yes, each vacuum will take longer and will use much more I/O.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 06:09 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
>
>> Thanks! Our autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB, so this probably means any space
>> would be available for reuse only at the end of the vacuum? Are there any
>> downsides in decreasing it to, say, 64MB? I see only pluses )
> Yes, each vacuum will take longer and will use much more I/O.

I see, thanks.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

Дата:
rihad <rihad@mail.ru> writes:
> Thanks! Our autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB, so this probably means any space
> would be available for reuse only at the end of the vacuum?

It's six bytes per dead tuple, last I checked ... you do the math.

> Are there
> any downsides in decreasing it to, say, 64MB? I see only pluses )

Well, usually people prefer to minimize the number of passes over
the indexes.

            regards, tom lane

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 06:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> rihad <rihad@mail.ru> writes:
>> Thanks! Our autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB, so this probably means any space
>> would be available for reuse only at the end of the vacuum?
> It's six bytes per dead tuple, last I checked ... you do the math.
>
>> Are there
>> any downsides in decreasing it to, say, 64MB? I see only pluses )
> Well, usually people prefer to minimize the number of passes over
> the indexes.
>
>             regards, tom lane
> .

Yup, it's just that n_dead_tuples grows by several hundred thousand (the
table sees much much more updates than inserts) and disk usage grows
constantly between several hour long vacuum runs. Running vacuum full
isn't an option.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:

> On 04/11/2019 06:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > rihad <rihad@mail.ru> writes:
> > > Thanks! Our autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB, so this probably means any space
> > > would be available for reuse only at the end of the vacuum?
> > It's six bytes per dead tuple, last I checked ... you do the math.
> >
> > > Are there
> > > any downsides in decreasing it to, say, 64MB? I see only pluses )
> > Well, usually people prefer to minimize the number of passes over
> > the indexes.

> Yup, it's just that n_dead_tuples grows by several hundred thousand (the
> table sees much much more updates than inserts) and disk usage grows
> constantly between several hour long vacuum runs. Running vacuum full isn't
> an option.

Perhaps it'd be better to vacuum this table much more often.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 06:41 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:

>>> It's six bytes per dead tuple, last I checked ... you do the math.

>>> Well, usually people prefer to minimize the number of passes over
>>> the indexes.
>> Yup, it's just that n_dead_tuples grows by several hundred thousand (the
>> table sees much much more updates than inserts) and disk usage grows
>> constantly between several hour long vacuum runs. Running vacuum full isn't
>> an option.
> Perhaps it'd be better to vacuum this table much more often.

Each run took 5-6 hours, now it takes 2-3 hours after I've tweaked some
cost-based vacuum knobs.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:

> > Perhaps it'd be better to vacuum this table much more often.
> >
> Each run took 5-6 hours, now it takes 2-3 hours after I've tweaked some
> cost-based vacuum knobs.

But how often does it run?

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 07:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
>
>> On 04/11/2019 06:41 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps it'd be better to vacuum this table much more often.
>>>
>> Each run took 5-6 hours, now it takes 2-3 hours after I've tweaked some
>> cost-based vacuum knobs.
> But how often does it run?

One after another. Enough n_dead_tuples accumulate in between runs to
easily trigger that.

autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.01

utovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 50

which means to run autovac when 1% of table size + 50 rows have been
updated or deleted.

But we can't make each autovacuum run run faster )

Currently I lowered this from 20ms:

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 10ms

And increased this from 200:

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 400

to make it finish in 1 hour rather than 3 hours.

Anything more than that and we risk impacting the performance of user
queries.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:28 AM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:

Yup, it's just that n_dead_tuples grows by several hundred thousand (the
table sees much much more updates than inserts) and disk usage grows
constantly between several hour long vacuum runs. Running vacuum full
isn't an option.

The disk usage doesn't reach a steady state after one or two autovacs?  Or it does, but you are just unhappy about the ratio between the steady state size and the theoretical fully packed size?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 07:40 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:28 AM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:

Yup, it's just that n_dead_tuples grows by several hundred thousand (the
table sees much much more updates than inserts) and disk usage grows
constantly between several hour long vacuum runs. Running vacuum full
isn't an option.

The disk usage doesn't reach a steady state after one or two autovacs?  Or it does, but you are just unhappy about the ratio between the steady state size and the theoretical fully packed size?

Cheers,

Jeff

Since we dump&restore production DB daily into staging environment, the difference in size (as reported by psql's \l+) is 11GB in a freshly restored DB as opposed to 70GB in production.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:14 AM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:

> autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.01
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 50

This seems counterproductive.  You need to make the vacuum more efficient, not more frantic.

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 10ms
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 400

Anything more than that and we risk impacting the performance of user
queries.

Well, unbounded bloat will also impact the user queries--eventually.  Was this an experimental determination?  Can you tell what about the autovac most impacts the user queries, the reading or the writing?

You might just have more workload than your hardware can handle.  There is always going to be some fundamental limit, and while you can tune your way up to that limit, you can't tune your way past it.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:44 AM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:
On 04/11/2019 07:40 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:

The disk usage doesn't reach a steady state after one or two autovacs?  Or it does, but you are just unhappy about the ratio between the steady state size and the theoretical fully packed size?

Cheers,

Jeff

Since we dump&restore production DB daily into staging environment, the difference in size (as reported by psql's \l+) is 11GB in a freshly restored DB as opposed to 70GB in production.

Yeah, that seems like a problem.  Do you have long lived transactions/snapshots that are preventing vacuuming from removing dead tuples?  You can run a manual "vacuum verbose" and see how many dead but nonremovable tuples there were, or set log_autovacuum_min_duration to some non-negative value less than the autovac takes, and do the same.

(Indeed, those dumps you take daily might be the source of those long-lived snapshots.  How long does a dump take?)

Also, what does pg_freespace (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgfreespacemap.html) show about the available of space in the table?  How about pgstattuple (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgstattuple.html)

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 08:09 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
[...]

vacuum frees tuples just fine. It's just that by the time each run finishes many more accumulate due to table update activity, ad nauseum. So this unused space constantly grows. Here's a sample autovacuum run:

2019-04-11 19:39:44.450841500 [] LOG:  automatic vacuum of table "foo.public.bar": index scans: 1
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450843500   pages: 0 removed, 472095 remain, 4 skipped due to pins, 39075 skipped frozen
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450845500   buffer usage: 62407557 hits, 6984769 misses, 116409 dirtied
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450846500   avg read rate: 16.263 MB/s, avg write rate: 0.271 MB/s
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450847500   system usage: CPU 59.05s/115.26u sec elapsed 3355.28 sec

(Indeed, those dumps you take daily might be the source of those long-lived snapshots.  How long does a dump take?)

The daily dumps are taken daily from the slave server as part of stock FreeBSD postgres port activity.
I don't think it impacts the master server.

Also, what does pg_freespace (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgfreespacemap.html) show about the available of space in the table?  How about pgstattuple (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgstattuple.html)

Thanks, I'll try those. But as I said freshly restored DB is only 11GB in size, not 70 (only public schema is used).

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Michael Lewis
Дата:
vacuum frees tuples just fine. It's just that by the time each run finishes many more accumulate due to table update activity, ad nauseum. So this unused space constantly grows. Here's a sample autovacuum run:

2019-04-11 19:39:44.450841500 [] LOG:  automatic vacuum of table "foo.public.bar": index scans: 1
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450843500   pages: 0 removed, 472095 remain, 4 skipped due to pins, 39075 skipped frozen
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450845500   buffer usage: 62407557 hits, 6984769 misses, 116409 dirtied
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450846500   avg read rate: 16.263 MB/s, avg write rate: 0.271 MB/s
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450847500   system usage: CPU 59.05s/115.26u sec elapsed 3355.28 sec

Maybe I am off base, but those read/write rates seem very low. Is this running on spinny disks? Also, less than half a million rows remain and 2.7 million dead but not removed in this auto vacuum. It seems to indicate that auto vacuum is not as aggressive as it needs to be. Have you verified that it blocks normal activity when autovacuum does more work each pass? If you are hardware bound, could you use partitioning to allow auto vacuum to work on the partitions separately and perhaps keep up?

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:

> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable

What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.  Maybe
that was pg_dump.

I suspect what you really need is keep an eye on the age of your oldest
transactions.  Don't leave anything "idle in transaction".

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Michael Lewis
Дата:
> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable

What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.  Maybe
that was pg_dump.

Wouldn't "dead but not yet removable" be high if there were long running transactions holding onto old row versions?

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

Дата:
> On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
>> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable

> What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
> 19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
> long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.

I think you misread it --- I'm pretty sure "N remain" is referring
to live tuples.  Maybe we should adjust the wording to make that
clearer?

            regards, tom lane

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Ron
Дата:
On 4/11/19 12:24 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
>>> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
>> What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
>> 19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
>> long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.
> I think you misread it --- I'm pretty sure "N remain" is referring
> to live tuples.

Because "465 are dead but not yet removable" are the dead tuples that remain
instead of 2.7M?

>    Maybe we should adjust the wording to make that
> clearer?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-11, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
> >> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
>
> > What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
> > 19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
> > long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.
>
> I think you misread it --- I'm pretty sure "N remain" is referring
> to live tuples.  Maybe we should adjust the wording to make that
> clearer?

Oh, I've been confused with that many times,  Not good trying to decode
confusing messages while simultaneously figuring out trying to figure
out logical decoding bugs that have already been fixed :-(

Yeah, let's reword that.  I've had to read the source half a dozen times
because I always forget what each number means.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 1:30 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-Apr-11, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
> >> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
>
> > What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
> > 19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
> > long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.
>
> I think you misread it --- I'm pretty sure "N remain" is referring
> to live tuples.  Maybe we should adjust the wording to make that
> clearer?

Oh, I've been confused with that many times,  Not good trying to decode
confusing messages while simultaneously figuring out trying to figure
out logical decoding bugs that have already been fixed :-(

Yeah, let's reword that.  I've had to read the source half a dozen times
because I always forget what each number means.

The fact that the output of "vacuum verbose" and "log_autovacuum_min_duration" look so little like each other certainly doesn't help us learn what they mean here.  If we are re-wording things, we might want to take a stab at unifying those to some extent.  If we just want to do a slight re-wording, I don't know what it would need to look like.  "remain" includes live, recently dead, and uncommitted new, and uncommitted old (I think) so we can't just change "recent" to "live".

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:18 PM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:
[...]

This data doesn't seem to support either one of our theories.  "Dead but not yet removable" is low.  But "removed" also seems pretty low.  Is 19,150 really the number of updates you think occur over the course of an hour which causes the problem you are seeing?  Updates that happened during one vacuum should be cleanly caught by the next one, so you should only see a steady state of bloat, not unbounded increase.

But your buffer usage being 132 time the number of pages in the table suggests it is your indexes, not your table, which are bloated.

How many indexes do you have, and of what type?  Index pages can only get reused when they become completely empty, or when a new indexed value fits into (or near) the key-space that that page already covers.  So if the key space for new tuples is constantly migrating around and your pages never become absolutely empty, you can get unbounded bloat in the indexes.

Can you compare the sizes object by object between the live and the stage, taking care not to include index (or toast) size into the size of their parent table?

Also, what does pg_freespace (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgfreespacemap.html) show about the available of space in the table?  How about pgstattuple (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgstattuple.html)
Thanks, I'll try those. But as I said freshly restored DB is only 11GB in size, not 70 (only public schema is used).

Yeah, but we need to know **why** that extra 59GB  is not being reused, not simply the fact that it isn't being reused.  If it isn't listed as free in the freespace map, then PostgreSQL might not know how to find it in order to reuse it, for example. But now that I think it is the indexes, not the table, that is bloated I would chase that part down first.  No point checking the freespace of the table proper if the problem is with the indexes.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 1:48 PM Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

If we just want to do a slight re-wording, I don't know what it would need to look like.  "remain" includes live, recently dead, and uncommitted new, and uncommitted old (I think) so we can't just change "recent" to "live".

Of course I meant we can't just change "remain" to "live".

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/11/2019 10:13 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
[...]

Way to many indexes. I'm going to have a hard time convincing our programmers to get rid of any of them )

Can you compare the sizes object by object between the live and the stage, taking care not to include index (or toast) size into the size of their parent table?

You're right, it's mostly indexes that are bloated.

Staging:
# select pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('foo'));
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 2924 MB
(1 row)

# select pg_size_pretty(pg_indexes_size('foo'));
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 1958 MB
(1 row)

Prod:

# select pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('foo'));
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 3688 MB
(1 row)

# select pg_size_pretty(pg_indexes_size('foo'));
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 60 GB
(1 row)

[...]

Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:13:17AM -0600, Michael Lewis wrote:
> Wouldn't "dead but not yet removable" be high if there were long running
> transactions holding onto old row versions?

You got it right.  You need to look at the number behind the tuples
dead, but not removable which is usually a pattern caused by long
running transactions holding snapshot references which prevents
autovacuum and/or vacuum to do their homework.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Michael Lewis
Дата:
Way to many indexes. I'm going to have a hard time convincing our programmers to get rid of any of them )

You can create (concurrently) an identical index with a new name, then drop old version concurrently and repeat for each. It doesn't help you figure out the root cause and how to prevent it from happening again, but gets you to a fresh start at least.

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:39:12PM -0600, Michael Lewis wrote:
> You can create (concurrently) an identical index with a new name, then drop
> old version concurrently and repeat for each. It doesn't help you figure
> out the root cause and how to prevent it from happening again, but gets you
> to a fresh start at least.

Please note that Postgres 12 has added support for REINDEX
concurrently.  A huge advantage of that is the possibility to work on
indexes with constraints.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От
rihad
Дата:
On 04/12/2019 08:39 AM, Michael Lewis wrote:
Way to many indexes. I'm going to have a hard time convincing our programmers to get rid of any of them )

You can create (concurrently) an identical index with a new name, then drop old version concurrently and repeat for each. It doesn't help you figure out the root cause and how to prevent it from happening again, but gets you to a fresh start at least.

Thanks for the tip. I believe other than increasing load temporarily creating a new index, dropping the old one and renaming the new one to the old one are transparent and (almost) lock-less operations? What would happen to user queries during DROP INDEX? Would they block on it, or, being unable to read it without blocking, will they pick the new one based on the same column(s)? And, likewise, is ALTER INDEX ... RENAME ... an instant operation, I hope?