Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 1:30 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-Apr-11, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On 2019-Apr-11, rihad wrote:
> >> 2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
>
> > What Jeff said.  This vacuum spent a lot of time, only to remove miserly
> > 19k tuples, but 2.7M dead tuples remained ... probably because you have
> > long-running transactions preventing vacuum from removing them.
>
> I think you misread it --- I'm pretty sure "N remain" is referring
> to live tuples.  Maybe we should adjust the wording to make that
> clearer?

Oh, I've been confused with that many times,  Not good trying to decode
confusing messages while simultaneously figuring out trying to figure
out logical decoding bugs that have already been fixed :-(

Yeah, let's reword that.  I've had to read the source half a dozen times
because I always forget what each number means.

The fact that the output of "vacuum verbose" and "log_autovacuum_min_duration" look so little like each other certainly doesn't help us learn what they mean here.  If we are re-wording things, we might want to take a stab at unifying those to some extent.  If we just want to do a slight re-wording, I don't know what it would need to look like.  "remain" includes live, recently dead, and uncommitted new, and uncommitted old (I think) so we can't just change "recent" to "live".

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?
Сообщение: Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?