Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:18 PM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:
On 04/11/2019 08:09 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:44 AM rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:

Since we dump&restore production DB daily into staging environment, the difference in size (as reported by psql's \l+) is 11GB in a freshly restored DB as opposed to 70GB in production.

Yeah, that seems like a problem.  Do you have long lived transactions/snapshots that are preventing vacuuming from removing dead tuples?  You can run a manual "vacuum verbose" and see how many dead but nonremovable tuples there were, or set log_autovacuum_min_duration to some non-negative value less than the autovac takes, and do the same.

vacuum frees tuples just fine. It's just that by the time each run finishes many more accumulate due to table update activity, ad nauseum. So this unused space constantly grows. Here's a sample autovacuum run:

2019-04-11 19:39:44.450841500 [] LOG:  automatic vacuum of table "foo.public.bar": index scans: 1
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450843500   pages: 0 removed, 472095 remain, 4 skipped due to pins, 39075 skipped frozen
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450844500   tuples: 19150 removed, 2725811 remain, 465 are dead but not yet removable
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450845500   buffer usage: 62407557 hits, 6984769 misses, 116409 dirtied
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450846500   avg read rate: 16.263 MB/s, avg write rate: 0.271 MB/s
2019-04-11 19:39:44.450847500   system usage: CPU 59.05s/115.26u sec elapsed 3355.28 sec

This data doesn't seem to support either one of our theories.  "Dead but not yet removable" is low.  But "removed" also seems pretty low.  Is 19,150 really the number of updates you think occur over the course of an hour which causes the problem you are seeing?  Updates that happened during one vacuum should be cleanly caught by the next one, so you should only see a steady state of bloat, not unbounded increase.

But your buffer usage being 132 time the number of pages in the table suggests it is your indexes, not your table, which are bloated.

How many indexes do you have, and of what type?  Index pages can only get reused when they become completely empty, or when a new indexed value fits into (or near) the key-space that that page already covers.  So if the key space for new tuples is constantly migrating around and your pages never become absolutely empty, you can get unbounded bloat in the indexes.

Can you compare the sizes object by object between the live and the stage, taking care not to include index (or toast) size into the size of their parent table?

Also, what does pg_freespace (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgfreespacemap.html) show about the available of space in the table?  How about pgstattuple (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgstattuple.html)
Thanks, I'll try those. But as I said freshly restored DB is only 11GB in size, not 70 (only public schema is used).

Yeah, but we need to know **why** that extra 59GB  is not being reused, not simply the fact that it isn't being reused.  If it isn't listed as free in the freespace map, then PostgreSQL might not know how to find it in order to reuse it, for example. But now that I think it is the indexes, not the table, that is bloated I would chase that part down first.  No point checking the freespace of the table proper if the problem is with the indexes.

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?
Сообщение: Re: When do vacuumed pages/tuples become available for reuse?