Обсуждение: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background process may go down?
meaning the process getting stopped?

For example, can the wal sender process alone stop working? If it does so,
which part of the logs I must check to proceed further.

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
soumitra bhandary
Дата:
Hi ,

If wal sender process exceeds the max_wal_sender_timeout parameter value , it might stop sending the wal to the slave nodes . But will not die out . In this case you may notice no change in the wal location associated with wal sender process .
Please refer to the Postgres log for exact issue .

Thanks,
Soumitra

Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background process may go down?
meaning the process getting stopped?

For example, can the wal sender process alone stop working? If it does so,
which part of the logs I must check to proceed further.

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
Thanks Soumitra for your swift reply.

Can someone throw more light on a process  - which might terminate or stop
responding?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utility process may go down?

Дата:
rajan <vgmonnet@gmail.com> writes:
> Can someone throw more light on a process  - which might terminate or stop
> responding?

*You* are the one who needs to throw more light; this question is too
vague to be usefully answerable.  What symptoms are you seeing exactly?
Have you looked into the system monitoring views (e.g. pg_locks) to
see if there are relevant entries?

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

            regards, tom lane

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
Ok. Let me explain my use case from where I am asking this question,

For configuring Postgres Monitoring using a tool,
Is it enough if I just add the Postmaster process alone for Monitoring? or
Should I add all background processes for Monitoring?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
Shreeyansh Dba
Дата:
Hi Rajan,

Can you confirm which tool are you talking about?

Usually, we seen monitoring tools depend on the connection parameters, it internally uses PostgreSQL background process.

Thanks & Regards,
Shreeyansh DBA Team
www.shreeyansh.com

Ok. Let me explain my use case from where I am asking this question,

For configuring Postgres Monitoring using a tool,
Is it enough if I just add the Postmaster process alone for Monitoring? or
Should I add all background processes for Monitoring?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
It is a custom script which we have developed for *monitoring the
processes(only)*. That is why I am asking if adding the postmaster alone
would suffice, or I should add all the background process names?

PS: These process checks are just to make sure that postgres is running.

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
Rajni Baliyan
Дата:
It depends what is the requirement.
If you just need to monitor whether Postgres is up and running then monitoring postmaster will be sufficient but if you also want to monitor other processes like autovacuum, wal sender etc then include corresponding processes as well.

Regards
Rajni

It is a custom script which we have developed for *monitoring the
processes(only)*. That is why I am asking if adding the postmaster alone
would suffice, or I should add all the background process names?

PS: These process checks are just to make sure that postgres is running.

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

--
Thanks
Regards,
Rajni
0410472086

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
All,

Thanks for the replies. But let me ask the question like this,

Should I add all background processes for monitoring? Or adding the
postmaster only is sufficient?

It is like, is there a possibility that one of the background processes may
go down? Did someone face a situation like that?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
Shreeyansh Dba
Дата:
Hi Rajan,

A postgres server process (postmaster) is the main key process acts as supervisor. If any background process gets die/down, then postmaster automatically restarts this process.

Thanks & Regards,
Shreeyansh DBA Team
www.shreeyansh.com

Thanks for the replies. But let me ask the question like this,

Should I add all background processes for monitoring? Or adding the
postmaster only is sufficient?

It is like, is there a possibility that one of the background processes may
go down? Did someone face a situation like that?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
Oh. That's great, Shreeyansh. Have you seen that working?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
Shreeyansh Dba
Дата:
Yes, we have tested.

Thanks & Regards,
Shreeyansh DBA Team
www.shreeyansh.com

Oh. That's great, Shreeyansh. Have you seen that working?

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
rajan
Дата:
great news! Thanks Shreeyansh.

-----
Rajan.
--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there any way that one of the Postgres Background/Utilityprocess may go down?

От
Laurenz Albe
rajan wrote:
> Ok. Let me explain my use case from where I am asking this question,
>
> For configuring Postgres Monitoring using a tool,
> Is it enough if I just add the Postmaster process alone for Monitoring? or
> Should I add all background processes for Monitoring?

I'd have the monitoring tool establish a database connection regularly.
If that works, and you can run a simple SELECT, things look good.

Other than that, the best you can do is monitor the database log file
for nasty messages like PANIC.  Unfortunately there is no simple rule
to determine automatically which log entries are serious errors.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe