Обсуждение: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Alexander Kjäll
Дата:
Hi

I'm not totally sure if this is the best place for this topic, but as
the library was briefly discussed on the list before I'll continue
that tradition.

There is still a lot more work to be done on the adba driver for
postgresql, and the adba specification from oracle is still subject to
change.

But the driver have also come a long way and is in a state where it
would be useful to be able to experiment with it in external projects,
and therefore I'm feeling that it's time for a first alpha release.

I have a number of questions regading naming and procedure and stuff like that.

1) I feel that the name pgsql2 isn't optimal, maybe change it to pgAdba.

2) Do you want to publish the artifact under the org.postgresql
groupId to maven central?

3) Any opinion on version numbering? I was thinking that 0.1.0-ALPHA
could be appropriate.

//Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Dave Cramer

I'm not totally sure if this is the best place for this topic, but as
the library was briefly discussed on the list before I'll continue
that tradition.

There is still a lot more work to be done on the adba driver for
postgresql, and the adba specification from oracle is still subject to
change.

But the driver have also come a long way and is in a state where it
would be useful to be able to experiment with it in external projects,
and therefore I'm feeling that it's time for a first alpha release.

I have a number of questions regading naming and procedure and stuff like that.

1) I feel that the name pgsql2 isn't optimal, maybe change it to pgAdba.

Ya, I'm not particularly happy with that name either.

2) Do you want to publish the artifact under the org.postgresql
groupId to maven central?

Hmmm .... that is fine however I guess someone with access to that groupId would have to push it.

I think I'm OK with this.

3) Any opinion on version numbering? I was thinking that 0.1.0-ALPHA
could be appropriate.

Yes, this is fine with me

Dave

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Chad Retz
Дата:
Are there any updates on the ADBA abstraction itself? Specifically
around stability, test suites, potential inclusion in JRE in some
version, active contribution from anyone on the OpenJDK team, etc.

Thanks,
Chad
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:38 AM Alexander Kjäll
<alexander.kjall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm not totally sure if this is the best place for this topic, but as
> the library was briefly discussed on the list before I'll continue
> that tradition.
>
> There is still a lot more work to be done on the adba driver for
> postgresql, and the adba specification from oracle is still subject to
> change.
>
> But the driver have also come a long way and is in a state where it
> would be useful to be able to experiment with it in external projects,
> and therefore I'm feeling that it's time for a first alpha release.
>
> I have a number of questions regading naming and procedure and stuff like that.
>
> 1) I feel that the name pgsql2 isn't optimal, maybe change it to pgAdba.
>
> 2) Do you want to publish the artifact under the org.postgresql
> groupId to maven central?
>
> 3) Any opinion on version numbering? I was thinking that 0.1.0-ALPHA
> could be appropriate.
>
> //Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Alexander Kjäll
Дата:
My understanding from reading the jdbc-spec mailing list is that the
api is work in progress until they are happy with it.

Last updates to the specification was published 2018-10-22 and wasn't
very large, and there has also been debate on if the fundamental
return object should be an Future or if it should be a reactive
stream.

I think there will be more breaking api changes to come, so it's
important to communicate this to those that are interested in
experimenting with the library.

//Alex
Den tis 30 okt. 2018 kl 02:13 skrev Chad Retz <chad.retz@gmail.com>:

> Are there any updates on the ADBA abstraction itself? Specifically
> around stability, test suites, potential inclusion in JRE in some
> version, active contribution from anyone on the OpenJDK team, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Chad
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:38 AM Alexander Kjäll
> <alexander.kjall@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm not totally sure if this is the best place for this topic, but as
> > the library was briefly discussed on the list before I'll continue
> > that tradition.
> >
> > There is still a lot more work to be done on the adba driver for
> > postgresql, and the adba specification from oracle is still subject to
> > change.
> >
> > But the driver have also come a long way and is in a state where it
> > would be useful to be able to experiment with it in external projects,
> > and therefore I'm feeling that it's time for a first alpha release.
> >
> > I have a number of questions regading naming and procedure and stuff like that.
> >
> > 1) I feel that the name pgsql2 isn't optimal, maybe change it to pgAdba.
> >
> > 2) Do you want to publish the artifact under the org.postgresql
> > groupId to maven central?
> >
> > 3) Any opinion on version numbering? I was thinking that 0.1.0-ALPHA
> > could be appropriate.
> >
> > //Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Alexander Kjäll
Дата:
Hi

I think I have prepared everything for an alpha release, I also
renamed the library from pgsql2 to pgAdba, could someone who has the
correct access bits go in and rename the github repo from
https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgsql2 to https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgadba
also?

I don't really know the normal release procedure for pgjdbc, but I
have prepared so that is someone does "mvn -DskipTests clean install"
all artifacts that should be required to upload to maven central is
produced.

-DskipTests because the tests require that you have a working Docker
environment, plus one of the TLS tests sometimes doesn't manage to
finish before the timeout kicks in.

//Alex
Den tis 30 okt. 2018 kl 10:35 skrev Alexander Kjäll <alexander.kjall@gmail.com>:

> My understanding from reading the jdbc-spec mailing list is that the
> api is work in progress until they are happy with it.
>
> Last updates to the specification was published 2018-10-22 and wasn't
> very large, and there has also been debate on if the fundamental
> return object should be an Future or if it should be a reactive
> stream.
>
> I think there will be more breaking api changes to come, so it's
> important to communicate this to those that are interested in
> experimenting with the library.
>
> //Alex
> Den tis 30 okt. 2018 kl 02:13 skrev Chad Retz <chad.retz@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Are there any updates on the ADBA abstraction itself? Specifically
> > around stability, test suites, potential inclusion in JRE in some
> > version, active contribution from anyone on the OpenJDK team, etc.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chad
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:38 AM Alexander Kjäll
> > <alexander.kjall@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm not totally sure if this is the best place for this topic, but as
> > > the library was briefly discussed on the list before I'll continue
> > > that tradition.
> > >
> > > There is still a lot more work to be done on the adba driver for
> > > postgresql, and the adba specification from oracle is still subject to
> > > change.
> > >
> > > But the driver have also come a long way and is in a state where it
> > > would be useful to be able to experiment with it in external projects,
> > > and therefore I'm feeling that it's time for a first alpha release.
> > >
> > > I have a number of questions regading naming and procedure and stuff like that.
> > >
> > > 1) I feel that the name pgsql2 isn't optimal, maybe change it to pgAdba.
> > >
> > > 2) Do you want to publish the artifact under the org.postgresql
> > > groupId to maven central?
> > >
> > > 3) Any opinion on version numbering? I was thinking that 0.1.0-ALPHA
> > > could be appropriate.
> > >
> > > //Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Alexander,

I have changed the name of the project and released it to maven

> [...]

> > > that tradition.
> > >
> > > There is still a lot more work to be done on the adba driver for
> > > postgresql, and the adba specification from oracle is still subject to
> > > change.
> > >
> > > But the driver have also come a long way and is in a state where it
> > > would be useful to be able to experiment with it in external projects,
> > > and therefore I'm feeling that it's time for a first alpha release.
> > >
> > > I have a number of questions regading naming and procedure and stuff like that.
> > >
> > > 1) I feel that the name pgsql2 isn't optimal, maybe change it to pgAdba.
> > >
> > > 2) Do you want to publish the artifact under the org.postgresql
> > > groupId to maven central?
> > >
> > > 3) Any opinion on version numbering? I was thinking that 0.1.0-ALPHA
> > > could be appropriate.
> > >
> > > //Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

Дата:
Thanks, this feels big :)

I'll write a release statement for my blog and if you want you can
mirror it on https://jdbc.postgresql.org/ if that's an appropriate
place for it.

best regards
Alexander Kjäll

Den tors 8 nov. 2018 kl 15:15 skrev Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>:

> Alexander,
>
> I have changed the name of the project and released it to maven
>
> Dave Cramer
>
> davec@postgresintl.com
> www.postgresintl.com
>

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 14:41, Alexander Kjäll <alexander.kjall@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I think I have prepared everything for an alpha release, I also
>> renamed the library from pgsql2 to pgAdba, could someone who has the
>> correct access bits go in and rename the github repo from
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgsql2 to https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgadba
>> also?
>>
>> I don't really know the normal release procedure for pgjdbc, but I
>> have prepared so that is someone does "mvn -DskipTests clean install"
>> all artifacts that should be required to upload to maven central is
>> produced.
>>
>> -DskipTests because the tests require that you have a working Docker
>> environment, plus one of the TLS tests sometimes doesn't manage to
>> finish before the timeout kicks in.
>>
>> //Alex
>> Den tis 30 okt. 2018 kl 10:35 skrev Alexander Kjäll <alexander.kjall@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > My understanding from reading the jdbc-spec mailing list is that the
>> > api is work in progress until they are happy with it.
>> >
>> > Last updates to the specification was published 2018-10-22 and wasn't
>> > very large, and there has also been debate on if the fundamental
>> > return object should be an Future or if it should be a reactive
>> > stream.
>> >
>> > I think there will be more breaking api changes to come, so it's
>> > important to communicate this to those that are interested in
>> > experimenting with the library.
>> >
>> > //Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Alexander,

sure I can put it up on jdbc... let me know

I'll write a release statement for my blog and if you want you can
mirror it on https://jdbc.postgresql.org/ if that's an appropriate
place for it.

best regards
Alexander Kjäll

Den tors 8 nov. 2018 kl 15:15 skrev Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>:

> Alexander,
>
> I have changed the name of the project and released it to maven
>
> Dave Cramer
>
> davec@postgresintl.com
> www.postgresintl.com
>

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 14:41, Alexander Kjäll <alexander.kjall@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I think I have prepared everything for an alpha release, I also
>> renamed the library from pgsql2 to pgAdba, could someone who has the
>> correct access bits go in and rename the github repo from
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgsql2 to https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgadba
>> also?
>>
>> I don't really know the normal release procedure for pgjdbc, but I
>> have prepared so that is someone does "mvn -DskipTests clean install"
>> all artifacts that should be required to upload to maven central is
>> produced.
>>
>> -DskipTests because the tests require that you have a working Docker
>> environment, plus one of the TLS tests sometimes doesn't manage to
>> finish before the timeout kicks in.
>>
>> //Alex
>> Den tis 30 okt. 2018 kl 10:35 skrev Alexander Kjäll <alexander.kjall@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > My understanding from reading the jdbc-spec mailing list is that the
>> > api is work in progress until they are happy with it.
>> >
>> > Last updates to the specification was published 2018-10-22 and wasn't
>> > very large, and there has also been debate on if the fundamental
>> > return object should be an Future or if it should be a reactive
>> > stream.
>> >
>> > I think there will be more breaking api changes to come, so it's
>> > important to communicate this to those that are interested in
>> > experimenting with the library.
>> >
>> > //Alex

Re: Maybe time for an alpha release of the pgsql2 project

От
Alexander Kjäll
Here is a text: https://blog.hackeriet.no/building-an-async-postgresql-driver/

And here is the source code of the text in markdown:
https://github.com/hackeriet/blog/blob/master/_posts/2018-11-09-building-an-async-postgresql-driver.md

Feel free to use as much or little of it as you see fit :)

//Alex