Обсуждение: Time to put context diffs in the grave

Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
<https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
patch.

Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff
out and let sanity prevail.

cheers

andrew

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2018-05-21 21:51:11 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
> patch.
>

> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
> and let sanity prevail.

Yes. Please.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 09:51:11PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
> patch.
>
> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
> and let sanity prevail.

+10 for sanity!

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 09:51:11PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
> and let sanity prevail.

Please!
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Дата:
At Mon, 21 May 2018 21:51:11 -0400, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in
<247f4d65-31f3-d426-2b24-fc434fa67286@2ndQuadrant.com>

> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice
> at <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his
> first patch.
>

> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that
> stuff out and let sanity prevail.

+1.

filterdiff has a bug that we can lose a part of hunks with it,
and I actually have stepped on it. I saw Álvaro made a complaint
about the bug but it doesn't seem to have been fixed. It is the
most major reason I'm posting patches in unified format
hesitently (really I am!). The second reason is git format-patch
doesn't give me diffs in context format.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 06:59:56PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> filterdiff has a bug that we can lose a part of hunks with it,
> and I actually have stepped on it. I saw Álvaro made a complaint
> about the bug but it doesn't seem to have been fixed. It is the
> most major reason I'm posting patches in unified format
> hesitently (really I am!). The second reason is git format-patch
> doesn't give me diffs in context format.

Yeah, I have been bitten by that one too, as well as others:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJghg4J6Anwob_c-g8B6CX6bzh81L9qNnB0f44r-x59fhMugEg@mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170913.174239.25978735.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-05-21 21:51:11 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
>> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
>> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
>> patch.
>>

>> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
>> and let sanity prevail.
>
> Yes. Please.

OK, that's done. Now I think we can get rid of git-external-diff.
While we're about it, does anyone use make_diff any more? It seems
rather ancient and crufty.

cheers

andrew

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

Дата:
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> OK, that's done. Now I think we can get rid of git-external-diff.

I for one rely on that.  I won't tell anyone else what kind of diff
they have to read, but if you try to tell me what kind of diff I have
to read, I'm going to complain.

> While we're about it, does anyone use make_diff any more? It seems
> rather ancient and crufty.

Not me, but judging from the README, possibly Bruce still uses it.
In any case, is it hurting anything?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> OK, that's done. Now I think we can get rid of git-external-diff.
>
> I for one rely on that.  I won't tell anyone else what kind of diff
> they have to read, but if you try to tell me what kind of diff I have
> to read, I'm going to complain.

OK, then given I have just removed all reference to it in the "Working
with Git" wiki page, maybe it needs  some comments on how to use it
:-)

>> While we're about it, does anyone use make_diff any more? It seems
>> rather ancient and crufty.
>
> Not me, but judging from the README, possibly Bruce still uses it.
> In any case, is it hurting anything?

No, just being anally retentive. But then we saw recently how that can
be a good thing :-)

cheers

andrew

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

Дата:
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 05:01:58PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > OK, that's done. Now I think we can get rid of git-external-diff.
>
> I for one rely on that.  I won't tell anyone else what kind of diff
> they have to read, but if you try to tell me what kind of diff I have
> to read, I'm going to complain.
>
> > While we're about it, does anyone use make_diff any more? It seems
> > rather ancient and crufty.
>
> Not me, but judging from the README, possibly Bruce still uses it.

I have local copies, so they can be removed.  I added them years ago in
case they helped anyone else.

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2018-05-21 21:51:11 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
> patch.
>

> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
> and let sanity prevail.

Could we please also change pg_regress' diff invocations? I find it
really painful to see differences in buildfarm output due to the
-C3. Locally I've long exported PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS, but that doesn't
help on the BF.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 06/19/2018 04:54 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-05-21 21:51:11 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
>> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
>> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
>> patch.
>>

>> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
>> and let sanity prevail.
> Could we please also change pg_regress' diff invocations? I find it
> really painful to see differences in buildfarm output due to the
> -C3. Locally I've long exported PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS, but that doesn't
> help on the BF.

It should do if you put it on the build_env stanza of your config file.
I just looked at your animal skink and didn't see any trace of it. What
PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS do you use?

But of course this won;t help you with other peoples' animals :-)

One idea I have been playing with is breaking up the reports so that
instead of a large text blob we have a series of files. Allowing
different formats on the web interface for diff files wouldn't be
terribly difficult once we had that - we'd just need to invoke
filterdiff or some such. Of course, we couldn't supply more context that
was there in the first place ;-)

It would be a substantial change, though, so I'm still working on it
conceptually.

cheers

andrew

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-06-19 17:18:32 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 06/19/2018 04:54 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Could we please also change pg_regress' diff invocations? I find it
> > really painful to see differences in buildfarm output due to the
> > -C3. Locally I've long exported PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS, but that doesn't
> > help on the BF.

> It should do if you put it on the build_env stanza of your config file. I
> just looked at your animal skink and didn't see any trace of it. What
> PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS do you use?
>
> But of course this won;t help you with other peoples' animals :-)

Oh, I was talking about the wider buildfarm, rather than just mine.

> One idea I have been playing with is breaking up the reports so that instead
> of a large text blob we have a series of files. Allowing different formats
> on the web interface for diff files wouldn't be terribly difficult once we
> had that - we'd just need to invoke filterdiff or some such. Of course, we
> couldn't supply more context that was there in the first place ;-)

I mean that would be good - I've way too often spent considerable time
looking for errors - but I don't see why that would be related to this
change. Given that we've "officially" stopped relying on context diffs,
I don't see why we'd not also retire them in pg_regress.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 06/19/2018 05:21 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

> Given that we've "officially" stopped relying on context diffs,
> I don't see why we'd not also retire them in pg_regress.

Well I suspect at least one person would be made unhappy ;-)

cheers

andrew

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

Дата:
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 06/19/2018 05:21 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Given that we've "officially" stopped relying on context diffs,
>> I don't see why we'd not also retire them in pg_regress.

> Well I suspect at least one person would be made unhappy ;-)

Not requiring them is considerably different from actually trying
to stamp them out.  To my mind, where we're trying to go here is
not having one set of people impose their diff format preferences
on other people.

There's already a (perhaps underdocumented) way to make regression
diffs look the way you want in local runs.  Andrew's idea of getting
the buildfarm server to display diffs either way would go a long
way towards having that same flexibility for buildfarm results, though
it does seem like rather a lot of work for a small point :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-06-19 17:41:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > On 06/19/2018 05:21 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> Given that we've "officially" stopped relying on context diffs,
> >> I don't see why we'd not also retire them in pg_regress.
>
> > Well I suspect at least one person would be made unhappy ;-)
>
> Not requiring them is considerably different from actually trying
> to stamp them out.

Sure - but I'm not trying to get rid of PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS, just
talking about changing the defaults.

> There's already a (perhaps underdocumented) way to make regression
> diffs look the way you want in local runs.  Andrew's idea of getting
> the buildfarm server to display diffs either way would go a long
> way towards having that same flexibility for buildfarm results, though
> it does seem like rather a lot of work for a small point :-(

Yea, if this were all already available, I'd be happy with it. But...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Not requiring them is considerably different from actually trying
> to stamp them out.  To my mind, where we're trying to go here is
> not having one set of people impose their diff format preferences
> on other people.

Am I the only one that doesn't use context diffs and also doesn't hate
them with a passion? I don't get it.

> There's already a (perhaps underdocumented) way to make regression
> diffs look the way you want in local runs.

Actually, it is documented.

--
Peter Geoghegan

On 06/19/2018 05:45 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Not requiring them is considerably different from actually trying
>> to stamp them out.  To my mind, where we're trying to go here is
>> not having one set of people impose their diff format preferences
>> on other people.
> Am I the only one that doesn't use context diffs and also doesn't hate
> them with a passion?

No.

> I don't get it.

But I do get it. I won't even start on the things that bug me :-)

cheers

andrew