Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Time to put context diffs in the grave
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 06/19/2018 04:54 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-05-21 21:51:11 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> We haven't insisted on context diffs in years now, and one of my
>> interlocutors has just turned handsprings trying to follow the advice at
>> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git> to produce his first
>> patch.
>>

>> Unless someone objects really violently I'm going to rip all that stuff out
>> and let sanity prevail.
> Could we please also change pg_regress' diff invocations? I find it
> really painful to see differences in buildfarm output due to the
> -C3. Locally I've long exported PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS, but that doesn't
> help on the BF.

It should do if you put it on the build_env stanza of your config file.
I just looked at your animal skink and didn't see any trace of it. What
PG_REGRESS_DIFF_OPTS do you use?

But of course this won;t help you with other peoples' animals :-)

One idea I have been playing with is breaking up the reports so that
instead of a large text blob we have a series of files. Allowing
different formats on the web interface for diff files wouldn't be
terribly difficult once we had that - we'd just need to invoke
filterdiff or some such. Of course, we couldn't supply more context that
was there in the first place ;-)

It would be a substantial change, though, so I'm still working on it
conceptually.

cheers

andrew