Обсуждение: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Hello,

I am trying to perform "make installcheck-world" after "make clean" (or after installing a precompiled binaries), but it fails.
The error I get is related to ECPG regression test:
make -C test installcheck
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/postgres/postgres/src/interfaces/ecpg/test'
gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -O2 '-I../../../../src/port' '-I../../../../src/test/regress' '-DHOST_TUPLE="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"' '-DSHELLPROG="/bin/sh"' '-DDLSUFFIX=".so"' -I../../../../src/include  -D_GNU_SOURCE   -c -o pg_regress_ecpg.o pg_regress_ecpg.c
gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -O2 -L../../../../src/port -L../../../../src/common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/pgsql/lib',--enable-new-dtags  pg_regress_ecpg.o ../../../../src/test/regress/pg_regress.o -lpgcommon -lpgport -lpthread -lz -lreadline -lrt -lcrypt -ldl -lm  -o pg_regress
make -C connect all
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/postgres/postgres/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/connect'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `test1.c', needed by `test1.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/postgres/src/interfaces/ecpg/test/connect'

Is it a supported scenario to make installcheck-world without performing "make" first?
(If I do "make -C src/interfaces/ecpg" and then "make installcheck-world", then this error is gone. And when I set up all the extensions, all tests passed successfully.)
And even if we need to perform make, I wonder, should the recompiled ecpg binary be checked instead of installed one?
I tried to modify Makefile to target installed ecpg binary and it's libs
(see the patch attached), it works, but this fix is only suited for installcheck.
So if this scenario should be supported, a more elaborated fix is needed.

Best regards,
------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Is it a supported scenario to make installcheck-world without performing "make" first?
(If I do "make -C src/interfaces/ecpg" and then "make installcheck-world", then this error is gone. And when I set up all the extensions, all tests passed successfully.)
And even if we need to perform make, I wonder, should the recompiled ecpg binary be checked instead of installed one?
I tried to modify Makefile to target installed ecpg binary and it's libs
(see the patch attached), it works, but this fix is only suited for installcheck.
So if this scenario should be supported, a more elaborated fix is needed.
To avoid overheating of this pretty hot discussion, I would like just to propose "a more elaborated fix" (for REL_10_STABLE and master).
In fact, when we perform "make installcheck" it not only requires us to build ecpg, but it also rebuilds libpostgres, libpgport and libpq (for installcheck-world).
I believe that the larger testing surface (coverage), the better, so using installed assets (libs, headers) is more useful.

Regarding "remote installcheck", that was discussed recently, the proposed patch complicates this, but opens a way to implement it correctly.
Think of distinct target "remotecheck", that will not define USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS, but will account for remote connection to server and run only supported tests.

Best regards,
------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company
Вложения

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
To avoid overheating of this pretty hot discussion, I would like just to propose "a more elaborated fix" (for REL_10_STABLE and master).
In fact, when we perform "make installcheck" it not only requires us to build ecpg, but it also rebuilds libpostgres, libpgport and libpq (for installcheck-world).
I believe that the larger testing surface (coverage), the better, so using installed assets (libs, headers) is more useful.
In hope to keep a lid on this explosive topic, I propose the improved fix.

Best regards,
------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:12 AM, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a supported scenario to make installcheck-world without performing
> "make" first?

The evidence suggests that the answer is "no".

> (If I do "make -C src/interfaces/ecpg" and then "make installcheck-world",
> then this error is gone. And when I set up all the extensions, all tests
> passed successfully.)

Your proposed fix involves inventing something called
USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS, but we don't need that anywhere else, so why do
we need it for ECPG?

I am not opposed to fixing this, but one might also ask whether it's a
good use of time, since the workaround is straightforward.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Your proposed fix involves inventing something called
USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS, but we don't need that anywhere else, so why do
we need it for ECPG?
We need that not only for ECPG, but for libpostgres, libpgport, and libpq too, if we want to check the installed ones (instead of recompiled).
Imagine that we will recompile psql (and use it) to perform installcheck for the server instance. It will work but we'll miss an opportunity to check whether the installed psql is working. I believe, it's the same with ecpg (as now, we can even remove installed ecpg and have all the tests passed).
I am not opposed to fixing this, but one might also ask whether it's a
good use of time, since the workaround is straightforward.

I'm not seeing a workaround to perform more complete installcheck without modifying makefiles. So for me the question is whether the increasing the testing surface justifies this use of time.
Best regards,

------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not seeing a workaround to perform more complete installcheck without
> modifying makefiles. So for me the question is whether the increasing the
> testing surface justifies this use of time.

After thinking about this some more, I think the question here is
definitional.  A first attempt at defining 'make installcheck' is to
say that it runs the tests from the build tree against the running
server.  Certainly, we intend to use the SQL files that are present in
the build tree, not the ones that were present in the build tree where
the running server was built.  But what about client programs that we
use to connect to the server?  You're suggesting that we use the
pre-installed ones, but that is actually pretty problematic because
the ones we see as installed might correspond neither to the contents
of the build tree nor to the running server.  Conceivably we could end
up having a mix of assets from three different places: (1) the running
server, (2) the build tree, (3) whatever is in our path at the moment.
That seems very confusing.  So now I think it's probably right to
define 'make installcheck' as using the assets from the build tree to
test the running server.  Under that definition, we're missing some
dependencies, but USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS isn't a thing we need.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

Дата:
> On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not seeing a workaround to perform more complete installcheck without
>> modifying makefiles. So for me the question is whether the increasing the
>> testing surface justifies this use of time.

> After thinking about this some more, I think the question here is
> definitional.  A first attempt at defining 'make installcheck' is to
> say that it runs the tests from the build tree against the running
> server.  Certainly, we intend to use the SQL files that are present in
> the build tree, not the ones that were present in the build tree where
> the running server was built.  But what about client programs that we
> use to connect to the server?  You're suggesting that we use the
> pre-installed ones, but that is actually pretty problematic because
> the ones we see as installed might correspond neither to the contents
> of the build tree nor to the running server.  Conceivably we could end
> up having a mix of assets from three different places: (1) the running
> server, (2) the build tree, (3) whatever is in our path at the moment.
> That seems very confusing.  So now I think it's probably right to
> define 'make installcheck' as using the assets from the build tree to
> test the running server.  Under that definition, we're missing some
> dependencies, but USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS isn't a thing we need.

Nah, I disagree with this.  To me, the purpose of "make installcheck"
is to verify the correctness of an installation, which I take to include
the client programs as well as the server.  I think that "make
installcheck" ought to use the installed version of any file that we
actually install, and go to the build tree only for things we don't
install (e.g. SQL test scripts).

If the user has screwed up his PATH or other environmental aspects so that
what he's testing isn't a single installation, that's his error, not
something that "make installcheck" ought to work around.  Indeed, maybe
such aspects of his setup are intentional, and second-guessing them would
completely defeat his purpose.  In any case, if you want to test the
build-tree assets, that's what "make check" is for.

            regards, tom lane

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
After thinking about this some more, I think the question here is
definitional.  A first attempt at defining 'make installcheck' is to
say that it runs the tests from the build tree against the running
server.  Certainly, we intend to use the SQL files that are present in
the build tree, not the ones that were present in the build tree where
the running server was built.  But what about client programs that we
use to connect to the server?  You're suggesting that we use the
pre-installed ones, but that is actually pretty problematic because
the ones we see as installed might correspond neither to the contents
of the build tree nor to the running server.
If the contents of the source tree doesn't correspond to the running server, then I'm afraid, we can't installcheck it for sure.
I think it's supposed that we use for installcheck exactly the same source files that was used to build the server.
Regarding clients program, if we will not use/check it while installchecking, then by what means they can be tested when installed?
I think, the pgsql-packagers would like to check whether the whole installation of PostgreSQL is working, not only the server.
For me, very realistic and most useful scenario of installcheck is:
install postgresql-x.rpm
install postgresql-x.src.rpm
./configure --prefix=$target_path --enable-tap-tests, etc...
make installcheck(-world)
  Conceivably we could end
up having a mix of assets from three different places: (1) the running
server, (2) the build tree, (3) whatever is in our path at the moment.
That seems very confusing.  So now I think it's probably right to
define 'make installcheck' as using the assets from the build tree to
test the running server.  Under that definition, we're missing some
dependencies, but USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS isn't a thing we need.
I see another scenario, that was discussed a month ago - remote (or server-only) installcheck.
( https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAM0nTJ6iorX_tmg5MX0mQU3z3w%3D9wk%2BpGK8zrvn7DNWqnyv%2BsQ%40mail.gmail.com )
It can be useful too and if it will be supported, then USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS usage should be extended to psql, etc.
Nah, I disagree with this.  To me, the purpose of "make installcheck"
is to verify the correctness of an installation, which I take to include
the client programs as well as the server.  I think that "make
installcheck" ought to use the installed version of any file that we
actually install, and go to the build tree only for things we don't
install (e.g. SQL test scripts).
Yes, that's the proposed patches intended for.  I didn't encounter any problems with it during internal testing with Linux and mingw-builds.
If the user has screwed up his PATH or other environmental aspects so that
what he's testing isn't a single installation, that's his error, not
something that "make installcheck" ought to work around.  Indeed, maybe
such aspects of his setup are intentional, and second-guessing them would
completely defeat his purpose.  In any case, if you want to test the
build-tree assets, that's what "make check" is for.
Even modified configs could lead to test failures (for example, lc_messages can break server log checking), so the installcheck should be performed against some clean and determinated installation anyway.

Best regards,
------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Exactly what order of steps are you executing that doesn't work?

Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Hello Peter,