Обсуждение: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

[pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

От
Murtuza Zabuawala
Дата:
Hi,

PFA patch to add the connection status in query tool, this feature will allow user to check the database connection status in query tool itself, it will also provide the detailed status as a tooltip when user hovers on it, the most benefit of the feature will be when user open query tool in new Browser Tab where Browser tree is not visible to user, user can also configure the status polling time using preference dialog.
RM#2475

Apart from that I have also removed the ..sqleditor/static/css/sqleditor.css reference from ../datagrid/templates/datagrid/index.html file because we are already bundling the "sqleditor.css" file in main "style.css" file.

Thanks to Chethana for his UI related inputs and to Surinder for helping me on html alignment issues.

Murtuza Zabuawala
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

Interesting. A few thoughts:

- The pulsating icon is very off-putting. I think we need to make it only flash a couple of times when we actually need to attract the attention of the user.

- We shouldn't really use tooltips like this, as it may confuse folks with screen readers. Should we make the icon clickable (which should have a visual hint)? Maybe a drop-down status panel.

- Do we need to poll separately for the status? Instead, why not update it whenever polling for results, or executing something?

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

От
Murtuza Zabuawala

- The pulsating icon is very off-putting. I think we need to make it only flash a couple of times when we actually need to attract the attention of the user.
​As per my discussion with Chethana, In his opinion user tends to notice things that way more quickly.
Are you sure you wish to flash only couple of times on error?

- We shouldn't really use tooltips like this, as it may confuse folks with screen readers. Should we make the icon clickable (which should have a visual hint)? Maybe a drop-down status panel.

​Sure let me check.

- Do we need to poll separately for the status? Instead, why not update it whenever polling for results, or executing something?
​Then user won't be able to know the current connection status prior to query execution, the purpose of the feature is to make user aware of current connection status even if there is no query running, As most user tends to leave open their query tool window after their work it will be useful when flask session gets expired and connection to server gets closed after that.

Thanks!

[...]

Дата:
Hi

- The pulsating icon is very off-putting. I think we need to make it only flash a couple of times when we actually need to attract the attention of the user.
​As per my discussion with Chethana, In his opinion user tends to notice things that way more quickly.
Are you sure you wish to flash only couple of times on error?

We already show and alert and switch to the messages tab if there's an error right? Either way, it's very off-putting.

- We shouldn't really use tooltips like this, as it may confuse folks with screen readers. Should we make the icon clickable (which should have a visual hint)? Maybe a drop-down status panel.

​Sure let me check.

- Do we need to poll separately for the status? Instead, why not update it whenever polling for results, or executing something?
​Then user won't be able to know the current connection status prior to query execution, the purpose of the feature is to make user aware of current connection status even if there is no query running, As most user tends to leave open their query tool window after their work it will be useful when flask session gets expired and connection to server gets closed after that.

Ah, OK. I see. Where is the polling frequency? I can't find it in the Preferences.

I'm really not too sure about polling this often. If i've got 5 query tool windows open, that's 10 queries a second, with the dashboard as well. That's why I was suggesting piggy-backing the status updates on other queries.

Sidenote: I've seen the status indicator go from green to orange and back again numerous times, for no obvious reason when connected to a local server.

Thanks!

[...]

Shirley Wang
Дата:
What are thoughts on switching the colors between currently running and idle? I think if the session is currently running, and its still open during the session time limit, it should be green. Perhaps idle sessions should be yellow or grey to indicate that the window should be (and can be) closed without terminating any current transactions.

As far as it pulsating, most users only need to know session status when they look for it, and it's not top of mind when they open the window. I agree with Dave that it shouldn't attract people's attention unless there is a problem.

[...]

Дата:
Hi Shirley,

Selected colours are as below,
Idle = Green (#32CD32) -> Means user can execute query
Busy = Orange (#e8a735) -> Connection is busy
Failed = Red (#d0021b) -> There is an error

What are thoughts on switching the colors between currently running and idle? I think if the session is currently running, and its still open during the session time limit, it should be green. Perhaps idle sessions should be yellow or grey to indicate that the window should be (and can be) closed without terminating any current transactions.

As far as it pulsating, most users only need to know session status when they look for it, and it's not top of mind when they open the window. I agree with Dave that it shouldn't attract people's attention unless there is a problem.

​Ok, I will change remove the ​pulsating from idle status and add it only when connection is busy or incase of an error.

[...]

@Dave,
​I also thought about it but that's what we have to do if we want to provide the realtime updates but then it's configurable so user can change the polling interval at anytime, with default settings if user has 5 query tool windows open then 5 ajax will be fired every second.

Inline image 1

Sidenote: I've seen the status indicator go from green to orange and back again numerous times, for no obvious reason when connected to a local server.
​Looking into it.​

Thanks!

[...]

Harshal Dhumal

Harshal Dhumal
Sr. Software Engineer

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
[...]

- Status Ideal and Active can be piggy backed (when we are polling query result).

- In case of connection closed then we are reconnecting seamlessly (as per your last comment on RM2475).
  So letting user know in advance that connection is closed does not provide any benefit.
  Eventually user will look of any reconnect button/option in query tool to reconnect if we tell connection status in advance.

- If flask session expires then (irrespective of connection status) status poll http request will be redirected to login page.
  So we won't get actual connection status in this case.

Thanks!

[...]

​Checking for idle connection while polling the result is not possible. because w
hen you press execute button
​that

​means
 are trying to execute some query then how do you check for idle status when
​there is already a
query
​ running, you will always get Busy status :)

- In case of connection closed then we are reconnecting seamlessly (as per your last comment on RM2475).
  So letting user know in advance that connection is closed does not provide any benefit.
I wrote that for desktop version, because we are automatically logging-in user with each request if user is not authorized.​

 ​

[...]

We are using async connection. So to get result we're polling result every 0.1 seconds and wait for connection poll read.
So in same poll http request you can alway call connection.get_transaction_status().
I just tried with select pg_sleep(1) and below is result.

Note the last line it says 0 means transaction status was changed to Ideal when query execution was completed and connection poll status was 1 (POLL_READ).

Inline image 1

[...]

As I mentioned in my previous email the
 purpose of the feature is to make user aware of current connection status even
​​
if there is no query running
​ in query tool OR in easy words prior to query execution and after the
query execution
​ ​
and not in-between the query execution.

[...]

Chethana Kumar
Дата:
Hi Team,

I have refined the icon once again for database connection status in query tool itself.

Below are the 5 different status that I have attached as screenshot -

1_busy
2_error_in_transaction
3_valid_transaction_in_idle
4_database_connected
5_database_disconnected

Please provide your inputs.

Regards,
Chethana kumar

[...]

Principal UI/UX Designer
EnterpriseDB Corporation

The Postgres Database Company

P: +91 86981 57146
Вложения

Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

There are 2 icons that look the same except for colour. That’s not going to work for some users with colour blindness.

--

EnterpriseDB UK:http://www.enterprisedb.com
[...]

<1_busy.jpg>
<2_error_in_transaction.jpg>
<3_valid_transaction_in_idle.jpg>
<4_database_connected.jpg>
<5_database_disconnected.jpg>

Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

От
Chethana Kumar
Дата:
Yes Dave.

Now it is clearly differentiated, please check and confirm.

Thanks,
Chethana kumar

[...]

Дата:
Hi Chetana,

We have all the suggested icons in font awesome icon pack :)

[...]

Дата:
Hi,

PFA updated patch based on new design suggested by Chethana.
The patch also includes some misc fixes related to object validation.
RM#2475

Please review.

Дата:
Hi