Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

От Harshal Dhumal
Тема Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Harshal Dhumal <harshal.dhumal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

--
Harshal Dhumal
Sr. Software Engineer

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

Interesting. A few thoughts:

- The pulsating icon is very off-putting. I think we need to make it only flash a couple of times when we actually need to attract the attention of the user.
​As per my discussion with Chethana, In his opinion user tends to notice things that way more quickly.
Are you sure you wish to flash only couple of times on error?

- We shouldn't really use tooltips like this, as it may confuse folks with screen readers. Should we make the icon clickable (which should have a visual hint)? Maybe a drop-down status panel.

​Sure let me check.

- Do we need to poll separately for the status? Instead, why not update it whenever polling for results, or executing something?
​Then user won't be able to know the current connection status prior to query execution, the purpose of the feature is to make user aware of current connection status even if there is no query running, As most user tends to leave open their query tool window after their work it will be useful when flask session gets expired and connection to server gets closed after that.

- Status Ideal and Active can be piggy backed (when we are polling query result).
​Checking for idle connection while polling the result is not possible. because w
hen you press execute button
​that

​means
 are trying to execute some query then how do you check for idle status when
​there is already a
query
​ running, you will always get Busy status :)

We are using async connection. So to get result we're polling result every 0.1 seconds and wait for connection poll read.
So in same poll http request you can alway call connection.get_transaction_status().
I just tried with select pg_sleep(1) and below is result.

Note the last line it says 0 means transaction status was changed to Ideal when query execution was completed and connection poll status was 1 (POLL_READ).

Inline image 1

- In case of connection closed then we are reconnecting seamlessly (as per your last comment on RM2475).
  So letting user know in advance that connection is closed does not provide any benefit.
I wrote that for desktop version, because we are automatically logging-in user with each request if user is not authorized.​

  Eventually user will look of any reconnect button/option in query tool to reconnect if we tell connection status in advance.
 ​

- If flask session expires then (irrespective of connection status) status poll http request will be redirected to login page.
  So we won't get actual connection status in this case.

Thanks!