Обсуждение: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
   I want to build pgAdmin4 runtime only; no browser interface, but ...
  When I built the executable following the directions for the runtime
version and invoked pgAdmin4 it displays a dialog box asking for the python
and application paths:

$ pgAdmin4
Python path:  "/usr/bin/python2"
Python Home:  ""
Webapp path:  "/usr/local/bin/pgAdmin4.py"
Traceback (most recent call last):  File "/usr/local/bin/pgAdmin4.py", line 23, in <module>    import config
ImportError: No module named config
"Failed to launch the application server, server thread exiting."
  Installed here are: python-2.7.13, python3-3.6.0, and python3-PyQt5-5.6.
  I would appreciate advice on how to successfully build a runtime-only
pgAdmin4.

TIA,

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I want to build pgAdmin4 runtime only; no browser interface, but ...
>
>   When I built the executable following the directions for the runtime
> version and invoked pgAdmin4 it displays a dialog box asking for the python
> and application paths:
>
> $ pgAdmin4 Python path:  "/usr/bin/python2"
> Python Home:  ""
> Webapp path:  "/usr/local/bin/pgAdmin4.py"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/pgAdmin4.py", line 23, in <module>
>     import config
> ImportError: No module named config
> "Failed to launch the application server, server thread exiting."
>
>   Installed here are: python-2.7.13, python3-3.6.0, and python3-PyQt5-5.6.
>
>   I would appreciate advice on how to successfully build a runtime-only
> pgAdmin4.

Have you followed the instructions in the README?

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin4.git;a=blob;f=README

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Dave Page wrote:

> Have you followed the instructions in the README?

Dave,
  Yes. in the section titled, Building.

"To build the runtime, the following packages must be installed:

- QT 4.6 or above (older versions may work, but haven't been tested).
- Python 2.6 or above."
  Installed here are python3-PyQt5-5.6 and python3-3.6.0.

"Assuming both qmake and python-config are in the path:

$ cd $PGADMIN4_SRC/runtime
$ qmake
Project MESSAGE: Building for QT5+...
$ make
..."
  Followed this by 'make install'

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Have you followed the instructions in the README?
>

> Dave,
>
>   Yes. in the section titled, Building.
>
> "To build the runtime, the following packages must be installed:
>
> - QT 4.6 or above (older versions may work, but haven't been tested).
> - Python 2.6 or above."
>
>   Installed here are python3-PyQt5-5.6 and python3-3.6.0.
>
> "Assuming both qmake and python-config are in the path:
>
> $ cd $PGADMIN4_SRC/runtime
> $ qmake
> Project MESSAGE: Building for QT5+...
> $ make
> ..."
>
>   Followed this by 'make install'

What about the Python parts?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Dave Page wrote:

> What about the Python parts?

Dave,
  Other than Python-2.6 or more recent I don't see other python parts in the
README. Installed here are:

python-2.7.13
python-dateutil
python3-3.6.0
python3-PyQt5-5.6
python3-sip-4.18
  Please show me what I'm missing.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> What about the Python parts?
>

> Dave,
>
>   Other than Python-2.6 or more recent I don't see other python parts in the
> README. Installed here are:
>
> python-2.7.13
> python-dateutil
> python3-3.6.0
> python3-PyQt5-5.6
> python3-sip-4.18
>
>   Please show me what I'm missing.

There's a large section entitled: "Configuring the Python
Environment", followed by another one describing how to configure the
two parts to work together.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Dave Page wrote:

> There's a large section entitled: "Configuring the Python Environment",
> followed by another one describing how to configure the two parts to work
> together.

Dave,
  OK. The README I downloaded with pgAdmin-4.1.1 is 84 lines long, separated
into four sections: Architecture, Building, Support, and Project info. I'll
go to the web site and try again.

Many thanks,

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I'll go to the web site and try again.
  Downloaded the 1.3 tarball and the README file is 310 lines long. I'm sure
the required information is in there.

Thanks, Dave,

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
marcelo
Дата:
Hi Rich

Please, tell the list the new building process results. I cannot follow
it without errors and strange errors.

TIA

Marcelo

On 29/03/17 15:14, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> I'll go to the web site and try again.
>
>   Downloaded the 1.3 tarball and the README file is 310 lines long.
> I'm sure
> the required information is in there.
>
> Thanks, Dave,
>
> Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, marcelo wrote:

> Please, tell the list the new building process results. I cannot follow it
> without errors and strange errors.

Marcelo,
  One question I had asked a while ago has been anwered: one needs to
install the python web framework, flask, and SQLAlchemy even if the end use
is from the command line (the runtime build). Interesting.
  I upgraded the SlackBuilds.org packages for virtualenv, virtualenv-clone,
and virtualenvwrapper and sourced /usr/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh (Slackware
puts executables in /usr/bin/ rather than /usr/local/bin/ and postgres is
installed in /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin -- at least for the currently
installed version -- rather than /usr/local/pgsql/bin; the postgres data
directory is in /var/lib/pgsql/data/).
  Next, I created a pgAdmin4 virtual environment as directed in step 3.
Within that environment I ran pip3 as in step 4, but since installation of
many of the tools requires root privileges I ran
[root@salmo ~]# pip install -r /opt/pgadmin4-1.3/requirements.txt. This
failed because it was looking for python-2.x rather than 3.x and tried
installing a very old version of SQLAlchemy-1.0.8 where the current version
is something like 1.0.14.
  So, I still cannot build pgAdmin4 on this host.

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
[...]

Please try pip3 (on some system, for python 3, it uses pip3).

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

failed because it was looking for python-2.x rather than 3.x and tried
installing a very old version of SQLAlchemy-1.0.8 where the current version
is something like 1.0.14.

  So, I still cannot build pgAdmin4 on this host.

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Ashesh Vashi wrote:

>> Within that environment I ran pip3 as in step 4, but since installation
>> of ...

> Please try pip3 (on some system, for python 3, it uses pip3).

Ashesh,
  Please see above line in original message.

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Within that environment I ran pip3 as in step 4, but since installation of
> many of the tools requires root privileges I ran [root@salmo ~]# pip
> install -r /opt/pgadmin4-1.3/requirements.txt. This failed because it was
> looking for python-2.x rather than 3.x and tried installing a very old
> version of SQLAlchemy-1.0.8 where the current version is something like
> 1.0.14.
  Accomplished step 4 in
(pgadmin4) [rshepard@salmo /opt/pgadmin4-1.3]$

using the command:
su -c 'pip3 install -r requirements.txt'
  Now on to the config file.

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Now on to the config file.
  Copied the config_local.py from the README to that filename in
/opt/pgAdmin4/web/.
  Then cd'd to /opt/pgAdmin4/runtime/ and ran qmake. Despite having
python3-3.6.0 and Qt5-5.5.1 installed, and all the requirements installed
using pip3, qmake saw none of this:

$ qmake
Project MESSAGE: Building for QT4...
Project MESSAGE: Using QWebKit...
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: ************************************** WARNING **************************************
Project MESSAGE: * It is strongly advised that Qt 5.5.0 or later is used to build the pgAdmin runtime.
Project MESSAGE: *************************************************************************************
Project MESSAGE:
Project MESSAGE: Building for Linux/Mac...
Project MESSAGE: Using /home/rshepard/.virtualenvs/pgadmin4/bin/python-config
Project MESSAGE: Python2 detected.
  I'm giving up. I need to get work done and this is taking too much of my
day.

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
marcelo
Дата:
Near exactly the problems I confronted.
I don't know why this complex and troublesome build process.
Thank you, Rich.

On 29/03/17 19:33, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>  Now on to the config file.
>
>   Copied the config_local.py from the README to that filename in ven
> /opt/pgAdmin4/web/.
>
>   Then cd'd to /opt/pgAdmin4/runtime/ and ran qmake. Despite having
> python3-3.6.0 and Qt5-5.5.1 installed, and all the requirements installed
> using pip3, qmake saw none of this:
>
> $ qmake
> Project MESSAGE: Building for QT4...
> Project MESSAGE: Using QWebKit...
> Project MESSAGE: Project MESSAGE:
> ************************************** WARNING
> **************************************
> Project MESSAGE: * It is strongly advised that Qt 5.5.0 or later is
> used to build the pgAdmin runtime.
> Project MESSAGE:
> Project MESSAGE: Project MESSAGE: Building for Linux/Mac...
> Project MESSAGE: Using
> /home/rshepard/.virtualenvs/pgadmin4/bin/python-config
> Project MESSAGE: Python2 detected.
>
>   I'm giving up. I need to get work done and this is taking too much
> of my
> day.
>
> Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 8:20 PM, marcelo <marcelo.nicolet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Near exactly the problems I confronted.
> I don't know why this complex and troublesome build process.

Because it's a complex piece of software, and unless you're familiar
with Python is probably going to be a daunting task to configure
manually.

Why are you trying to build by hand? It's really not expected that
end-users do that; it should only be packagers and developers who have
to do it that way.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Dave Page wrote:

> Why are you trying to build by hand? It's really not expected that
> end-users do that; it should only be packagers and developers who have to
> do it that way.
  While SlackBuilds.org has a working build script for pgadmin3 no one has
undertaken the task of providing one for pgAdmin4. Postgres and related
tools are not part of the Slackware distribution; mariadb has replaced mysql
in that. So, those of us who would like to try pgAdmin4 must build
piece-by-piece.
  I've no idea about other distributions or OSes so can write only for
myself and other Slackware users.

Rich

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
marcelo
Дата:
In the first place, I am a developer. So, what is the question if I try
to build some software from the sources?

Second: there is no pgAdmin4 binaries for Debian and derived distros.

Lastly, mr Developer: some years ago, I contributed to porting Postgres
8.3 to QnX. So, it's supposed I could read source code and adapt it to a
very special environment like that.

On 30/03/17 10:31, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 8:20 PM, marcelo <marcelo.nicolet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Near exactly the problems I confronted.
>> I don't know why this complex and troublesome build process.
> Because it's a complex piece of software, and unless you're familiar
> with Python is probably going to be a daunting task to configure
> manually.
>
> Why are you trying to build by hand? It's really not expected that
> end-users do that; it should only be packagers and developers who have
> to do it that way.

Re: Building runtime-only pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM, marcelo <marcelo.nicolet@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the first place, I am a developer. So, what is the question if I try to
> build some software from the sources?
>
> Second: there is no pgAdmin4 binaries for Debian and derived distros.
>
> Lastly, mr Developer: some years ago, I contributed to porting Postgres 8.3
> to QnX. So, it's supposed I could read source code and adapt it to a very
> special environment like that.

There's no need for sarcasm. I have no idea of your abilities or what
you are trying to achieve. Had your goal been to just run pgAdmin,
then I might have been able to help you find a pre-built package to
save you having to do more work.

Unfortunately much I would like to have them, we do not yet have
Debian packages. In the meantime, my best suggestion is to either
build from source (which I realise is not straightforward), or you
could download the EnterpriseDB PostgreSQL 9.6 installers from
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do#linux, install
them, and then shutdown and disable the database server. Those
packages include a build of pgAdmin that should run on most modern
Linuxes (though I honestly don't know about Slackware which Rich was
trying to use).