Обсуждение: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

[BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

От
Cristiano Coelho

Hello all, this is related to postgres 9.6 (9.6.4) and a good description can be found here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46966360/postgres-word-similarity-not-comparing-words

But in summary, word_similarity doesn’t seem to do exactly what the docs say, since it will match trigrams from multiple words rather tan doing a word by word comparison.

Below is a table with output and expected output, thanks to kiln from stackoverflow to provide it.

with data(t) as (
values
('message'),
('message s'),
('message sag'),
('message sag sag'),
('message sag sage')
)

select t, word_similarity('sage', t), my_word_similarity('sage', t)
from data;

        t         | word_similarity | my_word_similarity
------------------+-----------------+--------------------
 message          |             0.6 |                0.3
 message s        |             0.8 |                0.3
 message sag      |               1 |                0.5
 message sag sag  |               1 |                0.5
 message sag sage |               1 |                  1

Re: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

От
Arthur Zakirov
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 06:48:08PM +0000, Cristiano Coelho wrote:
> Hello all, this is related to postgres 9.6 (9.6.4) and a good description can be found here
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46966360/postgres-word-similarity-not-comparing-words

> But in summary, word_similarity doesn’t seem to do exactly what the docs say, since it will match trigrams from
multiplewords rather tan doing a word by word comparison.

> Below is a table with output and expected output, thanks to kiln from stackoverflow to provide it.

Interesting. An klin's answer from stackoverflow.com is right.

The initial example can be reduced to the next:

=# select word_similarity('sage', 'age sag');word_similarity
-----------------              1

It computes maximum similarity using closest trigrams not considering order of
'sage' trigrams. It determines that all
trigrams from 'sage' match trigrams from 'age sag'.

Initial order of 'age sag' trigrams:
'  a', ' ag', 'age', 'ge ', '  s', ' sa', 'sag', 'ag '               ^                           ^               |from

Sorted 'sage' trigrams (all of them occured within 'age sag' trigrams
continuously):
'  s', ' sa', 'age', 'ge ', 'sag'

Maybe the problem should be solved by considering 'sage' trigrams
initial order.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company

Re: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:

-----------------
               1

It computes maximum similarity using closest trigrams not considering order of
'sage' trigrams. It determines that all
trigrams from 'sage' match trigrams from 'age sag'.

Initial order of 'age sag' trigrams:
'  a', ' ag', 'age', 'ge ', '  s', ' sa', 'sag', 'ag '
                ^                           ^
                |from                       |to
Sorted 'sage' trigrams (all of them occured within 'age sag' trigrams
continuously):
'  s', ' sa', 'age', 'ge ', 'sag'

Maybe the problem should be solved by considering 'sage' trigrams
initial order.

We searching for continuous extent of second string trigrams (in original orders) which has best similarity with first string trigrams.
Possible solution could be forcing this extent boundaries to be at word boundaries.  However, it would become less convenient to search for *part* of word.  And we already have users adopt this feature.
So, I see following  solution:
1) Define GUC variable which specifies whether word_similarity() should force extent boundaries to be at word boundaries,
2) Document both cases of word_similarity() behavior.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

От
Jan Przemysław Wójcik
Дата:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Arthur Zakirov <a.zakirov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 06:48:08PM +0000, Cristiano Coelho wrote:
>> > Hello all, this is related to postgres 9.6 (9.6.4) and a good description can be found here
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46966360/postgres-word-similarity-not-comparing-words

>> > But in summary, word_similarity doesn’t seem to do exactly what the docs say, since it will match trigrams from
multiplewords rather tan doing a word by word comparison.

>> > Below is a table with output and expected output, thanks to kiln from stackoverflow to provide it.
>> >

>> Interesting. An klin's answer from stackoverflow.com is right.
>>
>> The initial example can be reduced to the next:
>>
>> =# select word_similarity('sage', 'age sag');
>>  word_similarity
>> -----------------
>>                1
>>
>> It computes maximum similarity using closest trigrams not considering order of
>> 'sage' trigrams. It determines that all
>> trigrams from 'sage' match trigrams from 'age sag'.
>>
>> Initial order of 'age sag' trigrams:
>> '  a', ' ag', 'age', 'ge ', '  s', ' sa', 'sag', 'ag '
>>                 ^                           ^
>>                 |from                       |to
>> Sorted 'sage' trigrams (all of them occured within 'age sag' trigrams
>> continuously):
>> '  s', ' sa', 'age', 'ge ', 'sag'
>>
>> Maybe the problem should be solved by considering 'sage' trigrams
>> initial order.
>

> We searching for continuous extent of second string trigrams (in original orders) which has best similarity with
firststring trigrams.
> Possible solution could be forcing this extent boundaries to be at word boundaries.  However, it would become less
convenientto search for *part* of word.  And we already have users adopt this feature.
> So, I see following  solution:
> 1) Define GUC variable which specifies whether word_similarity() should force extent boundaries to be at word
boundaries,
> 2) Document both cases of word_similarity() behavior.
>
> ------
> Alexander Korotkov
> Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
> The Russian Postgres Company

Look at the example:

with data(word, string) as (
values   ('sage', 'message'),   ('sage', 'message s'),   ('sage', 'message sa')
)

select   similarity(word, string),   word_similarity (word, string)
from data;
similarity | word_similarity
------------+-----------------       0.3 |             0.6  0.363636 |             0.8  0.454545 |               1
(3 rows)

When searching for a part of a word I would expect that the word
similarity is the same in all three rows. It's really strange that the
context of the second word (sa) makes the similarity equal to 1.

From a user's point of view it's also hard to understand why there is
such a big difference between similarity() and word_similarity(),
especially when comparing just two words (the first row).

I do not think the current function has any practical use.

------
Jan Przemysław Wójcik

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Arthur Zakirov <a.zakirov@postgrespro.ru>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 06:48:08PM +0000, Cristiano Coelho wrote:
>> > Hello all, this is related to postgres 9.6 (9.6.4) and a good
>> > description can be found here
>> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46966360/postgres-word-similarity-not-comparing-words
>> >
>> > But in summary, word_similarity doesn’t seem to do exactly what the docs
>> > say, since it will match trigrams from multiple words rather tan doing a
>> > word by word comparison.
>> >
>> > Below is a table with output and expected output, thanks to kiln from
>> > stackoverflow to provide it.
>> >

>> Interesting. An klin's answer from stackoverflow.com is right.
>>
>> The initial example can be reduced to the next:
>>
>> =# select word_similarity('sage', 'age sag');
>>  word_similarity
>> -----------------
>>                1
>>
>> It computes maximum similarity using closest trigrams not considering
>> order of
>> 'sage' trigrams. It determines that all
>> trigrams from 'sage' match trigrams from 'age sag'.
>>
>> Initial order of 'age sag' trigrams:
>> '  a', ' ag', 'age', 'ge ', '  s', ' sa', 'sag', 'ag '
>>                 ^                           ^
>>                 |from                       |to
>> Sorted 'sage' trigrams (all of them occured within 'age sag' trigrams
>> continuously):
>> '  s', ' sa', 'age', 'ge ', 'sag'
>>
>> Maybe the problem should be solved by considering 'sage' trigrams
>> initial order.
>

> We searching for continuous extent of second string trigrams (in original
> orders) which has best similarity with first string trigrams.
> Possible solution could be forcing this extent boundaries to be at word
> boundaries.  However, it would become less convenient to search for *part*
> of word.  And we already have users adopt this feature.
> So, I see following  solution:
> 1) Define GUC variable which specifies whether word_similarity() should
> force extent boundaries to be at word boundaries,
> 2) Document both cases of word_similarity() behavior.
>
> ------
> Alexander Korotkov
> Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
> The Russian Postgres Company

Re: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:

------------+-----------------
        0.3 |             0.6
   0.363636 |             0.8
   0.454545 |               1
(3 rows)

When searching for a part of a word I would expect that the word
similarity is the same in all three rows. It's really strange that the
context of the second word (sa) makes the similarity equal to 1.

From a user's point of view it's also hard to understand why there is
such a big difference between similarity() and word_similarity(),
especially when comparing just two words (the first row).

Probably word_similarity() is not a good name for this function.  Initially it was called substring_similarity() which now seems like better name for that.

I do not think the current function has any practical use.

It's hard for me to agree or disagree with you.  There is no technical problem to force word_similarity() to search for extent boundaries within word boundaries.  However, we already have customers using this function (and they are likely satisfied with its currency behavior).  It's important for me that our fix wouldn't affect them.  I asked them to join this discussion.  I hope that together we'll find a consensus.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Fwd: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:
Hi!

I'd like to forward a feedback from our customer who uses word_similarity() function.
François finds current behavior of word_similarity() to be useful.  Thus, I think we should preserve it.  But documentation correction is needed and option for alternative behavior would be useful too.

------