Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Why can't the database owner create schemas and how can I enable that?

[GENERAL] Why can't the database owner create schemas and how can I enable that?

От
Tim Uckun
Дата:
I am setting up a database for an app. So I create a user without superuser but with login priveleges

I then create a database and set it's owner to that user like this...

dropdb --if-exists api_development
dropuser --if-exists api_user

createuser api_user -P -d
createdb api_development -O api_user

The app can now connect to the database but it can't create any tables, schemas or anything else unless I give it superuser privileges.

Is there any way I can make this user a superuser for this database without making it a superuser on other databases?

Re: [GENERAL] Why can't the database owner create schemas and how canI enable that?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/22/2017 10:29 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
> I am setting up a database for an app. So I create a user without
> superuser but with login priveleges
>
> I then create a database and set it's owner to that user like this...
>
> dropdb --if-exists api_development
> dropuser --if-exists api_user
>
> createuser api_user -P -d
> createdb api_development -O api_user
>
> The app can now connect to the database but it can't create any
> tables, schemas or anything else unless I give it superuser privileges.
>
> Is there any way I can make this user a superuser for this database
> without making it a superuser on other databases?

that should have worked just fine.

[root@new ~]# useradd fred
[root@new ~]# su - postgres
$ createuser fred
$ createdb fred -O fred
$ logout
[root@new ~]# su - fred
[fred@new ~]$ psql
psql (9.3.19)
Type "help" for help.

fred=> create schema xyzzy;
CREATE SCHEMA
fred=> create table xyzzy.abc (id serial, dat text);
CREATE TABLE
fred=> \q

Re: [GENERAL] Why can't the database owner create schemas and how canI enable that?

От
Melvin Davidson

[...]

Make sure you are the DB owner when you connect.

Either
psql -U api_user  -d api_development

OR
psql -d api_development

SET ROLE api_user;
SELECT current_user;

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: [GENERAL] Why can't the database owner create schemas and how can I enable that?

Дата:
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> On 9/22/2017 10:29 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
>> The app can now connect to the database but it can't create any
>> tables, schemas or anything else unless I give it superuser privileges.

> that should have worked just fine.

Yeah.  Note that creating new schemas is not directly connected to
ownership anyway --- it's a question of whether you have the CREATE
privilege on the database.  The owner should have that privilege
by default, but it could be revoked, or granted to others.