Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

[GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
 Hi, ALL,
Is it possible to have just libpg installer for main OSes: Win, Linux, Mac?
And then just the source code of the client library to compile, since
I don't have latest OSX available?

Thank you.

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 09:12 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
>   Hi, ALL,
> Is it possible to have just libpg installer for main OSes: Win, Linux, Mac?

AFAIK there is no libpg library. I going to assume you mean the client
library libpq. The package systems for Linux and OS X allow you to
install just the --client package which I believe is what you want.

If not then you will need to be more specific.

> And then just the source code of the client library to compile, since
> I don't have latest OSX available?

I don't understand the above.

If you have it installed why would you want to compile it?

Again, if I am misunderstanding can you be more specific?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
Adrian,

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2017 09:12 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>>   Hi, ALL,
>> Is it possible to have just libpg installer for main OSes: Win, Linux,
>> Mac?
>

> AFAIK there is no libpg library. I going to assume you mean the client
> library libpq. The package systems for Linux and OS X allow you to install
> just the --client package which I believe is what you want.
>
> If not then you will need to be more specific.

Yes, I mean libpq.
Now yes, I can install it from the package manager or from source by
just running
../configure and then make inside src/interface, since I can't find
the binaries anywhere.

Especially for OSX as I have 10.8 here.

Now, what about Windows? Is there any prebuilt libraries I can use
from MSVC 2010?

>> And then just the source code of the client library to compile, since
>> I don't have latest OSX available?
>

> I don't understand the above.
>
> If you have it installed why would you want to compile it?

See above.
I couldn't find any links which says "This is the dmg package for
libpq that will run on
OSX 10.{6,7,8,9,10,11}". Google didn't help.
That's why I'm talking about compiling from source.

Unless there is another way.

Thank you.

> Again, if I am misunderstanding can you be more specific?
>

>> Thank you.
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 04:15 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> On 05/23/2017 09:12 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>>

> Yes, I mean libpq.
> Now yes, I can install it from the package manager or from source by
> just running
> ../configure and then make inside src/interface, since I can't find
> the binaries anywhere.

Your second sentence is at odds with your first one. You can find the
binaries, they are in the packages.

Still not sure what the conditions are that lead to building from source?

> Especially for OSX as I have 10.8 here.

What is the exact issue with OS X?

You want a specific version of Postgres or something else?

> Now, what about Windows? Is there any prebuilt libraries I can use
> from MSVC 2010?

I tend to keep a 10' pole length away from Windows, so I am probably not
the best person to answer this. Though that has not stopped me before, so:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
Adrian,

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2017 04:15 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Adrian Klaver
>> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 05/23/2017 09:12 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>>>

>> Yes, I mean libpq.
>> Now yes, I can install it from the package manager or from source by
>> just running
>> ../configure and then make inside src/interface, since I can't find
>> the binaries anywhere.
>

> Your second sentence is at odds with your first one. You can find the
> binaries, they are in the packages.
>
> Still not sure what the conditions are that lead to building from source?

Because I can't find libpg.so or libpg.dylib or libpg.Framework anywhere.

Is there a place to get them?

>> Especially for OSX as I have 10.8 here.
>

> What is the exact issue with OS X?
>
> You want a specific version of Postgres or something else?

No.
The reason being: mySQL Connector has binaries for different OSX version.

But I guess PostgreSQL is different.

>> Now, what about Windows? Is there any prebuilt libraries I can use
>> from MSVC 2010?
>

> I tend to keep a 10' pole length away from Windows, so I am probably not the
> best person to answer this. Though that has not stopped me before, so:
>
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries

Is it for server or for a client?

Thank you.

>>> I don't understand the above.
>>>
>>> If you have it installed why would you want to compile it?
>>

>> See above.
>> I couldn't find any links which says "This is the dmg package for
>> libpq that will run on
>> OSX 10.{6,7,8,9,10,11}". Google didn't help.
>> That's why I'm talking about compiling from source.
>>
>> Unless there is another way.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>>> Again, if I am misunderstanding can you be more specific?

>>> --
>>> Adrian Klaver
>>> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
Adrian,

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> On 05/23/2017 04:15 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>>
>>> Adrian,

>> I tend to keep a 10' pole length away from Windows, so I am probably not the
>> best person to answer this. Though that has not stopped me before, so:
>>
>> https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries
>
> Is it for server or for a client?

Also, by looking at those archives I didn't see the debug version of
the library for Windows.

But that's probably for someone else...

Thank you.

> Thank you.

>>> See above.
>>> I couldn't find any links which says "This is the dmg package for
>>> libpq that will run on
>>> OSX 10.{6,7,8,9,10,11}". Google didn't help.
>>> That's why I'm talking about compiling from source.
>>>
>>> Unless there is another way.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

>> --
>> Adrian Klaver
>> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 5/23/2017 7:45 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Because I can't find libpg.so or libpg.dylib or libpg.Framework anywhere.
>
> Is there a place to get them?

maybe because thats not the correct name?  its libpq as in PQ. I have no
idea what a .Framework file is, but any of the postgres installers for
Mac OSX should install libpq.dylib and the appropriate .h files etc.

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 07:45 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> On 05/23/2017 04:15 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>>
>>> Adrian,

>>> Yes, I mean libpq.
>>> Now yes, I can install it from the package manager or from source by
>>> just running
>>> ../configure and then make inside src/interface, since I can't find
>>> the binaries anywhere.
>>

>> Your second sentence is at odds with your first one. You can find the
>> binaries, they are in the packages.
>>
>> Still not sure what the conditions are that lead to building from source?
>
> Because I can't find libpg.so or libpg.dylib or libpg.Framework anywhere.

Not sure if they are there, but if they are you would find them as
libpq* (NOTE the q not g).

> Is there a place to get them?
>

>>> Especially for OSX as I have 10.8 here.
>>

>> What is the exact issue with OS X?
>>
>> You want a specific version of Postgres or something else?
>
> No.
> The reason being: mySQL Connector has binaries for different OSX version.
>
> But I guess PostgreSQL is different.

Well libpq is backwards compatible over Postgres versions. Not sure that
it really cares about the OS X version.

>>> Now, what about Windows? Is there any prebuilt libraries I can use
>>> from MSVC 2010?
>>

>> I tend to keep a 10' pole length away from Windows, so I am probably not the
>> best person to answer this. Though that has not stopped me before, so:
>>
>> https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries
>
> Is it for server or for a client?

It is just a zip file of the binaries installed by the one click
installer. One of those binaries is psql.exe.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 08:03 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Adrian,
>>
>> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Adrian Klaver
>> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

>>> I tend to keep a 10' pole length away from Windows, so I am probably not the
>>> best person to answer this. Though that has not stopped me before, so:
>>>
>>> https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries
>>
>> Is it for server or for a client?
>
> Also, by looking at those archives I didn't see the debug version of
> the library for Windows.
>
> But that's probably for someone else...

It would help to know what you plan to do with the library.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Because I can't find libpg.so or libpg.dylib or libpg.Framework anywhere.

Is there a place to get them?

maybe because thats not the correct name?  its libpq as in PQ.

Think: Postgres Query
Instead of: PostGres

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
Adrian,

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2017 08:03 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Adrian,

>>> Is it for server or for a client?
>>

>> Also, by looking at those archives I didn't see the debug version of
>> the library for Windows.
>>
>> But that's probably for someone else...
>

> It would help to know what you plan to do with the library.

I am still developing. There fore everything is build in Debug mode.
While on *nix this is not an issue, on Windows it is as it uses different CRTs
for Debug and Release.

Therefore I'd like to have a Debug version of the library.

Now building it from source includes installing Perl, which I'd like to avoid.
Hence a question of downloading ready-to-use binaries.

Or if they are not publicly available - I will unfortunately have no choice.

Thank you.

>> Thank you.
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/24/2017 06:58 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

>> It would help to know what you plan to do with the library.
>
> I am still developing. There fore everything is build in Debug mode.
> While on *nix this is not an issue, on Windows it is as it uses different CRTs
> for Debug and Release.
>
> Therefore I'd like to have a Debug version of the library.
>
> Now building it from source includes installing Perl, which I'd like to avoid.
> Hence a question of downloading ready-to-use binaries.
>
> Or if they are not publicly available - I will unfortunately have no choice.

Yeah, this is above my level of expertise. I could see this as a new
thread on the list though. Something along lines of 'Suggestions for
developing Postgres on Windows?'. Basically, asking how folks do
Postgres development on Windows.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/2017 06:58 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM, Adrian Klaver
>> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>

>>> It would help to know what you plan to do with the library.
>>

>> I am still developing. There fore everything is build in Debug mode.
>> While on *nix this is not an issue, on Windows it is as it uses different
>> CRTs
>> for Debug and Release.
>>
>> Therefore I'd like to have a Debug version of the library.
>>
>> Now building it from source includes installing Perl, which I'd like to
>> avoid.
>> Hence a question of downloading ready-to-use binaries.
>>
>> Or if they are not publicly available - I will unfortunately have no
>> choice.
>>

> Yeah, this is above my level of expertise. I could see this as a new thread
> on the list though. Something along lines of 'Suggestions for developing
> Postgres on Windows?'. Basically, asking how folks do Postgres development
> on Windows.

Well, the problem is that there is no libpq developmental binaries
available for download
for Windows....

Thank you.

Does anybody have a ready-to-use solution for libpq binaries for the
Debug build on Windows?

Thank you.

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/24/2017 07:18 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> On 05/24/2017 06:58 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>>
>>> Adrian,

>>> I am still developing. There fore everything is build in Debug mode.
>>> While on *nix this is not an issue, on Windows it is as it uses different
>>> CRTs
>>> for Debug and Release.
>>>
>>> Therefore I'd like to have a Debug version of the library.
>>>
>>> Now building it from source includes installing Perl, which I'd like to
>>> avoid.
>>> Hence a question of downloading ready-to-use binaries.
>>>
>>> Or if they are not publicly available - I will unfortunately have no
>>> choice.
>>>

>> Yeah, this is above my level of expertise. I could see this as a new thread
>> on the list though. Something along lines of 'Suggestions for developing
>> Postgres on Windows?'. Basically, asking how folks do Postgres development
>> on Windows.
>
> Well, the problem is that there is no libpq developmental binaries
> available for download
> for Windows....

Yes, I got that.

> Thank you.
>
> Does anybody have a ready-to-use solution for libpq binaries for the
> Debug build on Windows?

A good question, but buried in a thread on a different topic. To get
fresh eyes on this I would suggest a new post with a different subject.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Have just libpg installer

От
Igor Korot
Дата:
New thread created.

Thank you.

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Adrian Klaver