Обсуждение: [ADMIN] Oracle to Postgres conversion suggestions?

[ADMIN] Oracle to Postgres conversion suggestions?

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Hi,

I've been asked to help with one of these. I'm a bit wary, as I'm
thinking this is actually a really high risk endeavor. Any thoughts on
toolkits that might make this easy?

details:

- db size approx 5TB

- blob and (Oracle) spatial datatypes involved

- conversion and heterogeneous replication solutions needed

Currently looking at Amazon schema conversion/data migration services
but wondering if there are known good solutions out there!

Cheers

Mark

Re: [ADMIN] Oracle to Postgres conversion suggestions?

От
Stéphane KANSCHINE
Дата:
Le ven. 10 mars, vers 21:42, Mark Kirkwood exprimait :

> I've been asked to help with one of these. I'm a bit wary, as I'm thinking
> this is actually a really high risk endeavor. Any thoughts on toolkits that
> might make this easy?

Do you look at ora2pg¹ ?

It's a good tool, that estimates the migration cost, migrate what it
can automatically (schema, constraints, data ) and let you do the hard
job : port your stored procedures and your applications if you didn't
use a good ORM.

¹ http://ora2pg.darold.net/

Regards
--
Stéphane KANSCHINE - http://www.hexack.fr./ - http://www.nuajik.com./
@ stephane@hexack.fr

Re: [ADMIN] Oracle to Postgres conversion suggestions?

От
"michael@sqlexec.com"
Дата:
You might want to consider using oracle_fdw (thinking rolling migration) in conjunction with Ora2pg (foreign keys, etc).  Also, there are good commercial tools out there like FullConvert.

Regards,
Michael Vitale

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:54 AM
Le ven. 10 mars, vers 21:42, Mark Kirkwood exprimait :

I've been asked to help with one of these. I'm a bit wary, as I'm thinking
this is actually a really high risk endeavor. Any thoughts on toolkits that
might make this easy?
Do you look at ora2pg¹ ?

It's a good tool, that estimates the migration cost, migrate what it
can automatically (schema, constraints, data ) and let you do the hard
job : port your stored procedures and your applications if you didn't
use a good ORM.

¹ http://ora2pg.darold.net/

Regards
Friday, March 10, 2017 3:42 AM
Hi,

I've been asked to help with one of these. I'm a bit wary, as I'm thinking this is actually a really high risk endeavor. Any thoughts on toolkits that might make this easy?

details:

- db size approx 5TB

- blob and (Oracle) spatial datatypes involved

- conversion and heterogeneous replication solutions needed

Currently looking at Amazon schema conversion/data migration services but wondering if there are known good solutions out there!

Cheers

Mark

Re: [ADMIN] Oracle to Postgres conversion suggestions?

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Thanks - yes (briefly). While it looks good (and appears to be able to
do spatial data too)...the size of the source Oracle db means we need
replication ability to catchup the changes that were being made while
the migration was in progress.

In theory DMS can do this.

regards

Mark