Обсуждение: [HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

[HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

От
Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Дата:
Hello, while I investigated a bug of async-exec patch. I found a
(maybe) typo in mcxt.c.

|  * It's not entirely clear whether 'tis better to do this before or after
|  * delinking the context; but an error in a callback will likely result in

I'm not so confident, but the "'tis" seems to me to be a typo of
"it's".

regards

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Hello, while I investigated a bug of async-exec patch. I found a
> (maybe) typo in mcxt.c.
>
> |  * It's not entirely clear whether 'tis better to do this before or after
> |  * delinking the context; but an error in a callback will likely result in
>
> I'm not so confident, but the "'tis" seems to me to be a typo of
> "it's".

That is an archaic way of contracting the same words differently:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/'tis

It sounds amusing and a tiny bit like a famous line from Hamlet,
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer...".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_be,_or_not_to_be

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 2/23/17 6:38 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> I'm not so confident, but the "'tis" seems to me to be a typo of
>> "it's".
> That is an archaic way of contracting the same words differently:

Given the number of non-native English speakers we have, it's probably
worth changing it...
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)

Re: [HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-02-23 14:26:07 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 2/23/17 6:38 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > > I'm not so confident, but the "'tis" seems to me to be a typo of
> > > "it's".
> > That is an archaic way of contracting the same words differently:
>
> Given the number of non-native English speakers we have, it's probably worth
> changing it...

I'm a non-native speaker and I actually like discovering new language
"features" every now and then. I think as long as it's not inhibiting
understanding to much - which doesn't seem to be the case here - it's
fine to keep things like this.

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

Дата:
> On 2017-02-23 14:26:07 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> On 2/23/17 6:38 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>>> That is an archaic way of contracting the same words differently:

>> Given the number of non-native English speakers we have, it's probably worth
>> changing it...

> I'm a non-native speaker and I actually like discovering new language
> "features" every now and then. I think as long as it's not inhibiting
> understanding to much - which doesn't seem to be the case here - it's
> fine to keep things like this.

While I don't recall it specifically, git blame says that comment is mine.
I'm pretty sure it's not a typo, but that the allusion to Hamlet was
intentional.  I think it's good to have a bit of levity and external
references in our comments; cuts down on the boredom of reading totally
dry code.

(But see commit d2783bee3 for one hazard of this sort of thing.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] A typo in mcxt.c

От
Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Дата:
I'm happy to know such a thing. mcxt.c is very stable part of the
code so those who don't know such things like me rarely comes.

At Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:59:51 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in <31880.1487908791@sss.pgh.pa.us>