Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

[GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Günce Kaya
Дата:
Hi All,

I'm looking for an ER Data Modeller tool for postgresql. I use Navicat Premium for postgresql and the tool has a modeller but I would like to display a database modeller that belonging to a tables of an schema under a database.

If I use Navicat for modeller, I have to drag and drop whole tables which I want to add to data modeller. So It's pretty manual process.

Is there any way to display an er modeller that show only chosen schema under the database?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gunce Kaya

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Stephen Davies
Дата:
On 23/12/16 16:20, Günce Kaya wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for an ER Data Modeller tool for postgresql. I use Navicat Premium
> for postgresql and the tool has a modeller but I would like to display a
> database modeller that belonging to a tables of an schema under a database.
>
> If I use Navicat for modeller, I have to drag and drop whole tables which I
> want to add to data modeller. So It's pretty manual process.
>
> Is there any way to display an er modeller that show only chosen schema under
> the database?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Gunce Kaya

Try Schemaspy

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Stephen Davies schrieb am 23.12.2016 um 10:08:
>> I'm looking for an ER Data Modeller tool for postgresql. I use Navicat Premium
>> for postgresql and the tool has a modeller but I would like to display a
>> database modeller that belonging to a tables of an schema under a database.
>>
>> If I use Navicat for modeller, I have to drag and drop whole tables which I
>> want to add to data modeller. So It's pretty manual process.
>>
>> Is there any way to display an er modeller that show only chosen schema under
>> the database?
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Try Schemaspy

Scott Mead just blogged about using SchemaSpy with Postgres

http://www.openscg.com/2016/12/postgresql-schema-visualization/

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
I'm looking for an ER Data Modeller tool for postgresql. I use Navicat Premium for postgresql and the tool has a modeller but I would like to display a database modeller that belonging to a tables of an schema under a database.

If I use Navicat for modeller, I have to drag and drop whole tables which I want to add to data modeller. So It's pretty manual process.

Is there any way to display an er modeller that show only chosen schema under the database?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gunce Kaya

We use IDEA from IntelliJ: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
It features a nice DB-tool integrated (the commercial version only I think)

Database tools

Take advantage of intelligent coding assistance when editing SQL; connect to live databases; run queries; browse and expert data; and even manage your schemes in a visual interface–right from the IDE.

...which I think is an embeded version of their DataGrip application: https://www.jetbrains.com/datagrip/

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
"Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)"
Дата:
Hello Gunce,

Do you mean some sort of reverse engineering? Database Workbench supports that.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL,
SQL Anywhere, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.

Sent: Friday, December 23, 2016 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

I'm looking for an ER Data Modeller tool for postgresql. I use Navicat Premium for postgresql and the tool has a modeller but I would like to display a database modeller that belonging to a tables of an schema under a database.

If I use Navicat for modeller, I have to drag and drop whole tables which I want to add to data modeller. So It's pretty manual process.

Is there any way to display an er modeller that show only chosen schema under the database?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gunce Kaya

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Günce Kaya
Дата:
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

This document is pretty good to use SchemasPy and thank you for your sharing but I could not integrate with our postgres yet. I'm looking for a database tool like Toad, DBVisualizer so on. It'll be more useful to me now.

Regards,

Gunce Kaya

I'm looking for an ER Data Modeller tool for postgresql. I use Navicat Premium
for postgresql and the tool has a modeller but I would like to display a
database modeller that belonging to a tables of an schema under a database.

If I use Navicat for modeller, I have to drag and drop whole tables which I
want to add to data modeller. So It's pretty manual process.

Is there any way to display an er modeller that show only chosen schema under
the database?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Try Schemaspy
Scott Mead just blogged about using SchemaSpy with Postgres

http://www.openscg.com/2016/12/postgresql-schema-visualization/

Gunce Kaya

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Edmundo Robles
Дата:
Maybe visual paradigm could help you,  you can reverse and generate the database in postgresql.

[...]

Hi all,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I found a tool that name is DbSchema. It's simple and useful for using.

Gunce Kaya

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Scott Mead just blogged about using SchemaSpy with Postgres

Thomas,

   I've spent the past two days without success trying to get schemaSpy running here
and have found a solution that works quickly and easily: dbeaver
<http://www.dbeaver.com/>. Yes, it's a GUI rather than CLI application but
it works ... and it's F/OSS under the GPL. Best of all worlds.

   I downloaded the postgresql-jdbc driver and installed it in a couple of
places trying to make schemaSpy happy, and futzed with pg_hba.conf access
control. The dbeaver application downloaded and internally installed the
postgresql-jdbc driver it wants to use.

   It took no time to figure out how to create, test, and establish a
connection to the databases and examine their E-R diagrams. They're now
saved as .png files.

Thanks very much for your pointer and my wishes for a healthy, happy, and
prosperous 2017 to you and all who responded to my question,

Rich

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 12/28/2016 03:24 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>
>> Scott Mead just blogged about using SchemaSpy with Postgres
>
> Thomas,
>
>   I've spent the past two days without success trying to get schemaSpy
> running here

An example from my machine that works:

aklaver@tito:~/bin> java -jar schemaSpy_5.0.0.jar -t pgsql -s public -u
postgres  -db production -host localhost  -dp
/home/aklaver/bin/postgresql-9.4.1212.jre6.jar -o s_spy

Using database properties:
   [schemaSpy_5.0.0.jar]/net/sourceforge/schemaspy/dbTypes/pgsql.properties
Gathering schema
details........................................................................(2sec)
Writing/graphing summary..............(3sec)
Writing/diagramming
details.....................................................................(14sec)
Wrote relationship details of 69 tables/views to directory 's_spy' in 20
seconds.
View the results by opening s_spy/index.html

> and have found a solution that works quickly and easily: dbeaver
> <http://www.dbeaver.com/>. Yes, it's a GUI rather than CLI application but
> it works ... and it's F/OSS under the GPL. Best of all worlds.

Looks interesting.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> An example from my machine that works:
> aklaver@tito:~/bin> java -jar schemaSpy_5.0.0.jar -t pgsql -s public -u
> postgres  -db production -host localhost  -dp
> /home/aklaver/bin/postgresql-9.4.1212.jre6.jar -o s_spy

Adrian,

   That's interesting. I specified my username, not postgres, since that's
how I access the databases from the psql CLI. But, since I've resolved the
issue to my satisfaction and deleted the schemaSpy subdirectory I've no
incentive to try again.

   Time now to fill them thar tables with fake data so I can test as I
develop.

Happy new year to you,

Rich

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Nicolas Paris

  That's interesting. I specified my username, not postgres, since that's
how I access the databases from the psql CLI. But, since I've resolved the
issue to my satisfaction and deleted the schemaSpy subdirectory I've no
incentive to try again.

  Time now to fill them thar tables with fake data so I can test as I
develop.

Happy new year to you,

Rich

​Hi I d'like to tell about Sql Power Architect (http://www.sqlpower.ca/page/architect), an open-source software. Well explained on the website but notice interessting feature such:
- comparing 2 database structure, and generating stmts to harmonize differences in SQL or in liquibase ( http://www.liquibase.org/ )
​- infers the implicit FK with names
- multiplateform / multi database (absed on JDBC drivers)
- generate giant pdf for giant models

​Thanks for the link to the CLI shemaSpy, a pity the export is in html and not reusable stuff like csv

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2016, Nicolas Paris wrote:

> Hi I'd like to tell about Sql Power Architect

Nicholas,

   SPA was going to be my next re-examination after dbeaver. Since the latter
easily accomplished what I needed I stopped there.

Thanks for the reminder,

Rich

Re: [GENERAL] Er Data Modeller for PostgreSQL

От
Scott Mead

Hi I'd like to tell about Sql Power Architect

Nicholas,

  SPA was going to be my next re-examination after dbeaver. Since the latter
easily accomplished what I needed I stopped there.

I've actually used Sql Power Architect before as well.  I like Schema Spy because it's a quick read-only way to give me a fast report.  SQL Power Architect is nice because it's graphical and you can interact with the DBA.  I've also used DBVisualizer for this ( I actually love DBVisualizer ), but that tool is geared for interacting with the database and has visualization as an extra.  I'll have to try dbeaver, I've heard of it, but, haven't used it.

  Schema Spy is great, but, I do always have to come back and find the exact command needed to kick it off, it's CLI is a bit over-complicated.

--Scott

Thanks for the reminder,

Rich