Обсуждение: Graphical entity relation model

Graphical entity relation model

От
jotpe
Дата:
Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models from existing postgresql databases?

Best regards Johannes

Re: Graphical entity relation model

От
Scott Mead

Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models from existing postgresql databases?

My personal favorites (in order):

Best regards Johannes

Scott Mead
Sr. Architect
OpenSCG

Re: Graphical entity relation model

От
"Mike Sofen"

From: jotpe   Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:17 PM

Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models from existing postgresql databases?
Best regards Johannes

-------

I don’t know any useful free ones, but my favorite less expensive one (and the one I’ve used for the last few years) is xcase (http://www.xcase.com/) .  It can reverse engineer against most current popular databases including Postgres.  The current version has 2 postgres quirks: 1) you cannot (for some bizzare reason) declare a json/jsonb column, so I declare it as text and simply adjust the generated DDL as needed.  2) you cannot declare an index on a text column (as if they are thinking it is akin to a sql server text column).  Other than those issues, which can be easily worked around, it is by far the fastest modeling tool I’ve ever used (I’ve used the more famous ones), and the fully comprehensive, with a very modern looking UI.

In contrast, there are the over-priced dinosaurs with old ugly UIs.  A while back I reviewed some of the modeling tools, and none did it for me, I went ahead and got another license to xcase.

Mike Sofen (Synthetic Genomics)

Re: Graphical entity relation model

От
Stephen Davies
Дата:
On 29/09/16 05:47, jotpe wrote:
> Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models
> from existing postgresql databases?
>
> Best regards Johannes

I like SchemaSpy.

Stephen Davies Consulting P/L                             Phone: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                                Mobile:040 304 0583

Re: Graphical entity relation model

От
""
Дата:
> Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models from existing postgresql databases?
>
> Best regards Johannes

I use dbWrench (dbwrench.com). It's not free, but they do have a free trial version so you can see if you like it
beforeyou buy it. It's also not expensive compared to many of these sorts of tools. It also runs on all 3 major
platforms(it's written in Java) and the developer is responsive if you find a problem.

If money is no object, you can look at Power Designer (by Sybase). I used to use it years ago and liked it even if it
wasMS-Windows only, but the price has gone up so much only companies can really afford it now, IMO.

HTH,
Kevin

Re: Graphical entity relation model

От
Robert Stone
Дата:
Hello,

If you have jdk 1.8 or above installed go to www.executequery.org and download the latest jar file. Download the JDBC driver from Postgres and set it up. It's open source.
It has an ERD generator but obviously depends on having all your foreign keys declared in order to link tables, etc. After generating the ERD you then have to re-organise it by dragging and dropping so that when you print, the diagram is readable.
I use it all the time for testing, etc.

HTH,
Rob

On 1 October 2016 at 04:45, <kbrannen@pwhome.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models from existing postgresql databases?
>
> Best regards Johannes

I use dbWrench (dbwrench.com). It's not free, but they do have a free trial version so you can see if you like it before you buy it. It's also not expensive compared to many of these sorts of tools. It also runs on all 3 major platforms (it's written in Java) and the developer is responsive if you find a problem.

If money is no object, you can look at Power Designer (by Sybase). I used to use it years ago and liked it even if it was MS-Windows only, but the price has gone up so much only companies can really afford it now, IMO.

HTH,
Kevin

Re: Graphical entity relation model

От
"Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)"
Дата:
Hello Johannes,

A new kid on the block – Database Workbench, a Windows application that works fine on Linux and Mac via Wine.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL,
SQL Anywhere, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.