Re: Graphical entity relation model

От Mike Sofen
Тема Re: Graphical entity relation model
Дата
Список pgsql-general

From: jotpe   Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:17 PM

Does anybody know a Software for generating graphical entity relation models from existing postgresql databases?
Best regards Johannes

-------

I don’t know any useful free ones, but my favorite less expensive one (and the one I’ve used for the last few years) is xcase (http://www.xcase.com/) .  It can reverse engineer against most current popular databases including Postgres.  The current version has 2 postgres quirks: 1) you cannot (for some bizzare reason) declare a json/jsonb column, so I declare it as text and simply adjust the generated DDL as needed.  2) you cannot declare an index on a text column (as if they are thinking it is akin to a sql server text column).  Other than those issues, which can be easily worked around, it is by far the fastest modeling tool I’ve ever used (I’ve used the more famous ones), and the fully comprehensive, with a very modern looking UI.

In contrast, there are the over-priced dinosaurs with old ugly UIs.  A while back I reviewed some of the modeling tools, and none did it for me, I went ahead and got another license to xcase.

Mike Sofen (Synthetic Genomics)