Обсуждение: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
"Erik Rijkers"
Дата:
The web display of our gitlog at
 http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=log

contains links to individual commits, which is great.

It also tries (but fails) to link to email discussion.

For instance, in one of the recent commit-messages it says:

[...]
Discussion: 20150112154026.GB2092@awork2.anarazel.de

this links erroneously to http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=object;h=20150112154026

instead of to http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150112154026.GB2092@awork2.anarazel.de

This seems relatively easy to fix, and would make following the development process that much easier.

thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Re: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
contains links to individual commits, which is great.

It also tries (but fails) to link to email discussion.

For instance, in one of the recent commit-messages it says:

[...]
Discussion: 20150112154026.GB2092@awork2.anarazel.de

this links erroneously to
  http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=object;h=20150112154026

instead of to
  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150112154026.GB2092@awork2.anarazel.de

This seems relatively easy to fix, and would make following the development process that much easier.

I'm pretty sure this is not supported in gitweb. If it has some actual plugin functionality that would be something we could use but I'm not sure we want to fork github just for that functionality.

Previously committers have just pasted the full link I think - which would be easy enough to go back to.  Certainly a lot easier than actually forking gitweb. And it would then also work for all other places that render the commits, such as github or just your personal "git log".

--

Re: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Erik Rijkers wrote:

> this links erroneously to
>   http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=object;h=20150112154026
>
> instead of to
>   http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150112154026.GB2092@awork2.anarazel.de
>

> This seems relatively easy to fix, and would make following the development process that much easier.

How would you fix it?

I realized some time ago that using bare message-ids in commit messages
is not such a great idea, mostly because it's difficult to distinguish
them mechanically from email addresses.  Nowadays I (try to) prefix them
with http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ instead.  This is of course
already a valid URL, it's trivial to determine the message-id from the
full string, and if you're manually copying and pasting from the git
changelog to somewhere else you exactly know what portion to copy.  See
for example
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=0e5680f4737a9c6aa94aa9e77543e5de60411322

For some reason gitweb is not rendering those as links, though -- in
that commit message, it also grabs a string that looks like a SHA1 value
as a commit ID.  Silly little thing ... github seems to do the right
thing:
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/0e5680f4737a9c6aa94aa9e77543e5de60411322

Re: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
"Erik Rijkers"
Дата:
On Tue, January 13, 2015 22:02, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this is not supported in gitweb. If it has some actual
> plugin functionality that would be something we could use but I'm not sure
> we want to fork github just for that functionality.

No, forking doesn't seem a good idea :)

I had a look at gitweb beforehand to see how it makes links. After all one would expect such a functionality to be
configurable.  But if you say if it's not there -- ah well, just bad luck.

thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Re: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-01-13 13:02:49 -0800, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Previously committers have just pasted the full link I think - which would
> be easy enough to go back to.

Perhaps it is not surprising, given that it's my commit that's
referenced, but I find full links rather annoying. For one they're often
too long for one line. For another the message id seem to have been a
lot more stable over the years than actual archive links...

But either way, if we agree that archive links are better, I can
certainly live with that. I'd much rather have more people referencing
discussions using archive links than fewer using just raw message
ids.  I've spent far too much time already trying to correlate commits
with messages by looking at all emails from a timerange to find out what
'as discussed' refers to.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On Tue, January 13, 2015 22:02, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this is not supported in gitweb. If it has some actual
> plugin functionality that would be something we could use but I'm not sure
> we want to fork github just for that functionality.

No, forking doesn't seem a good idea :)

I had a look at gitweb beforehand to see how it makes links. After all one would expect such a functionality to be
configurable.  But if you say if it's not there -- ah well, just bad luck.

It might be - I haven't actually looked at it, so feel free to check :)

--

Re: gitweb gitlog broken links to email archive

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On 2015-01-13 13:02:49 -0800, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Previously committers have just pasted the full link I think - which would
> be easy enough to go back to.

Perhaps it is not surprising, given that it's my commit that's
referenced, but I find full links rather annoying. For one they're often
too long for one line. For another the message id seem to have been a
lot more stable over the years than actual archive links...

The old archives link definitely *should* still work. They will redirect to the new URL, but they should work. The fact that we have so many links around in places like this is exactly why we made sure it did that :)