Обсуждение: Pootle server request

Pootle server request

От
Diego Gil
Дата:
Hi,

Mi name is Diego Gil and I am a member of Argentina and Latinoamerica
PostgreSQL comunity. We feel the need to have docs translated to spanish
(castillian) and are organizing a translation team for that purpose.
There are some individual efforts already and we are talking about
working together to avoid loosing what is done. Our main concern is
about maintainability of translations, to avoid having a translation
that is difficult to keep updated, as have been in the past.
From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a very
good option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all the
translations efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping
translations updated. While initially is for spanish translations, the
same infrastructure could be quickly used by other foreing comunities.

In that context, it would be very useful, and that is what we are
requesting,  for us to have a Pootle server implemented under
postgresql.org domain, maybe pootle.postgresql.org,
translations.postgresql.org or whatever you think could be better.
Pootle is a python application used to coordinate the translation
efforts of several open source applications and projects. Basically, it
works with .po files. We are thinking to use po4a to make the "original
sgml" --> "po" --> "translated sgml "converts.

Having a Pootle server could ease the translation of postgresql
applications captions too, because the po translations could be done
online, without having to download any file.

We will be very happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks in advance !.

Regards,
Diego Gil.

Re: Pootle server request

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
All,
   There has been no reply to this suggestion. Note that Diego has
come to the list with the support of the spanish community (kinda
agreement).
   Since this is an attempt to organize all the translation related
chores, and we are for the first time attempting, we would appreciate
some feedback on our efforts. That said, if the Pootle server is
definitely not a good idea then let's discuss an optimal approach for
our problem.  We have the people, we are motivated and want to get
things done, but need some support / feedback.
   Ideas? Support? * ?

Thanks in advance,
Guido

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Diego Gil <diego.gil@maipucinos.com.ar> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mi name is Diego Gil and I am a member of Argentina and Latinoamerica
> PostgreSQL comunity. We feel the need to have docs translated to spanish
> (castillian) and are organizing a translation team for that purpose. There
> are some individual efforts already and we are talking about working
> together to avoid loosing what is done. Our main concern is about
> maintainability of translations, to avoid having a translation that is
> difficult to keep updated, as have been in the past.
>
> From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a very good
> option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all the translations
> efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping translations updated.
> While initially is for spanish translations, the same infrastructure could
> be quickly used by other foreing comunities.
>
> In that context, it would be very useful, and that is what we are
> requesting,  for us to have a Pootle server implemented under postgresql.org
> domain, maybe pootle.postgresql.org, translations.postgresql.org or whatever
> you think could be better. Pootle is a python application used to coordinate
> the translation efforts of several open source applications and projects.
> Basically, it works with .po files. We are thinking to use po4a to make the
> "original sgml" --> "po" --> "translated sgml "converts.
>
> Having a Pootle server could ease the translation of postgresql applications
> captions too, because the po translations could be done online, without
> having to download any file.
>
> We will be very happy to provide more information if needed.
>
> Thanks in advance !.
>
> Regards,
> Diego Gil.

Re: Pootle server request

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 02:03 -0200, Guido Barosio wrote:
> All,
>
>     There has been no reply to this suggestion. Note that Diego has
> come to the list with the support of the spanish community (kinda
> agreement).
>
>     Since this is an attempt to organize all the translation related
> chores, and we are for the first time attempting, we would appreciate
> some feedback on our efforts. That said, if the Pootle server is
> definitely not a good idea then let's discuss an optimal approach for
> our problem.  We have the people, we are motivated and want to get
> things done, but need some support / feedback.
>
>     Ideas? Support? * ?

I think this actually might be the wrong list for this. I think you
would want to take it up with the translations team:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtranslation/

If I am wrong please tell me :)

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: Pootle server request

От
Peter Eisentraut
Diego Gil wrote:
>  From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a very
> good option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all the
> translations efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping
> translations updated. While initially is for spanish translations, the
> same infrastructure could be quickly used by other foreing comunities.

Would you use this only for documentation or also for messages?  If the
latter, would this preclude editing the PO files in other ways (locally
in an editor)?  Is there an example installation of this Pootle somewhere?

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Дата:
No Peter, is not about PO files. Is about Oficial Doc's.
(it would be horrible translate simple PO in pootle, IMHO ;)

The idea is to have pootle to coordinate better the translation efforts
for all languages.
Joshua: the list is not worng at all becuase the asking is about
an aplicattion to translate, no only for the docs.

2008/12/10 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>:
> Diego Gil wrote:
>>
>>  From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a very
>> good option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all the
>> translations efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping
>> translations updated. While initially is for spanish translations, the same
>> infrastructure could be quickly used by other foreing comunities.
>
> Would you use this only for documentation or also for messages?  If the
> latter, would this preclude editing the PO files in other ways (locally in
> an editor)?  Is there an example installation of this Pootle somewhere?

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant    ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:

> The idea is to have pootle to coordinate better the translation efforts
> for all languages.
> Joshua: the list is not worng at all becuase the asking is about
> an aplicattion to translate, no only for the docs.

I think this request was a waste of time from the beginning.  We (the ES
translators) should install our own Pootle server for the spanish docs,
and if and when we show that it works great for us, we suggest moving it
to postgresql.org so that other language teams can use it too.

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Дата:
2008/12/10 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
>
>> The idea is to have pootle to coordinate better the translation efforts
>> for all languages.
>> Joshua: the list is not worng at all becuase the asking is about
>> an aplicattion to translate, no only for the docs.
>
> I think this request was a waste of time from the beginning.  We (the ES
> translators) should install our own Pootle server for the spanish docs,
> and if and when we show that it works great for us, we suggest moving it
> to postgresql.org so that other language teams can use it too.

I promote the use of our server.
We have supported Python in www.postgres-arg.org for pootle.
I tell everybody in the mailing list about that.
I waiting Mariano responses for go ahead with pootle instalation.

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant    ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
>
>> The idea is to have pootle to coordinate better the translation efforts
>> for all languages.
>> Joshua: the list is not worng at all becuase the asking is about
>> an aplicattion to translate, no only for the docs.
>
> I think this request was a waste of time from the beginning.  We (the ES
> translators) should install our own Pootle server for the spanish docs,
> and if and when we show that it works great for us, we suggest moving it
> to postgresql.org so that other language teams can use it too.

+1

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
<flame wars mode=on>
I think that "a waste of time" is not a proper way for describing this
situation.

We are learning, committing our time and effort, surfing problems and
overall helping things get done.  If this is a comlete waste of time
please let me know and I will gladly let others waste their time.

The "macho geek" attitude stress me out. Tons time easier a reply
like: "what if we deploy an instance on our own and if it goes well we
promote the change to the postgresql.org domain?"
</flame>

I do have a box hosted in US datacenter, not a big deal and running
some lamp stack, but available for a prototyping phase. Anybody
willing to take this stake please drop me a private mail and I will
fwd credentials.

gb.-

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
>
>> The idea is to have pootle to coordinate better the translation efforts
>> for all languages.
>> Joshua: the list is not worng at all becuase the asking is about
>> an aplicattion to translate, no only for the docs.
>
> I think this request was a waste of time from the beginning.  We (the ES
> translators) should install our own Pootle server for the spanish docs,
> and if and when we show that it works great for us, we suggest moving it
> to postgresql.org so that other language teams can use it too.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Guido Barosio escribió:

> We are learning, committing our time and effort, surfing problems and
> overall helping things get done.  If this is a comlete waste of time
> please let me know and I will gladly let others waste their time.

I thought what we were going to do was install it for ourselves.
Somebody even said they had a server somewhere on Argentina where it
could live.  I didn't understand the turn of events where it was decided
to ask to put it under postgresql.org.  As far as I understand, the
service would have been already running by now.

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Дата:
2008/12/10 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Guido Barosio escribió:
>
>> We are learning, committing our time and effort, surfing problems and
>> overall helping things get done.  If this is a comlete waste of time
>> please let me know and I will gladly let others waste their time.
>
> I thought what we were going to do was install it for ourselves.
> Somebody even said they had a server somewhere on Argentina where it
> could live.  I didn't understand the turn of events where it was decided
> to ask to put it under postgresql.org.  As far as I understand, the
> service would have been already running by now.

Yeap. Server is ok to run Pootle. I just waiting for the server admin to upload
this (Mariano).

One of the disadvantages to put pootle on postgresql.org is that will
be more dificultly to admin instead having the server 'at hand'

At least, i´d rather have an extra server than being short on one. :P

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant    ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
Diego Gil
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut escribió:
> Diego Gil wrote:
>>  From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a
>> very good option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all
>> the translations efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping
>> translations updated. While initially is for spanish translations,
>> the same infrastructure could be quickly used by other foreing
>> comunities.
>
> Would you use this only for documentation or also for messages?  If
> the latter, would this preclude editing the PO files in other ways
> (locally in an editor)?  Is there an example installation of this
> Pootle somewhere?

Could be used for both, if needed. In fact, I think it will probe very
useful for messages too. Editing po files could be done in two ways :
online and the usual dowload-translate-upload cycle. We don't have a
public Pootle server implemented (I have one on my personal notebook for
testing and learning) but you can check the "official" Pootle server:

http://pootle.locamotion.org/

Regards,
Diego.

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Дата:
2008/12/10 Diego Gil <diego.gil@maipucinos.com.ar>:
> Peter Eisentraut escribió:
>>
>> Diego Gil wrote:
>>>
>>>  From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a very
>>> good option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all the
>>> translations efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping
>>> translations updated. While initially is for spanish translations, the same
>>> infrastructure could be quickly used by other foreing comunities.
>>
>> Would you use this only for documentation or also for messages?  If the
>> latter, would this preclude editing the PO files in other ways (locally in
>> an editor)?  Is there an example installation of this Pootle somewhere?
>>

> Could be used for both, if needed. In fact, I think it will probe very
> useful for messages too. Editing po files could be done in two ways : online
> and the usual dowload-translate-upload cycle. We don't have a public Pootle
> server implemented (I have one on my personal notebook for testing and
> learning) but you can check the "official" Pootle server:

Diego, please contact with mariano reingart who is the server admin of arpug.
There is no problem to stand up this aplicattion on that. :¬D

> http://pootle.locamotion.org/
>

> Regards,
> Diego.

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant    ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
Diego Gil
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
>

>> The idea is to have pootle to coordinate better the translation efforts
>> for all languages.
>> Joshua: the list is not worng at all becuase the asking is about
>> an aplicattion to translate, no only for the docs.
>>

> I think this request was a waste of time from the beginning.  We (the ES
> translators) should install our own Pootle server for the spanish docs,
> and if and when we show that it works great for us, we suggest moving it
> to postgresql.org so that other language teams can use it too.

I am starting to understand why there is no spanish translation yet.
:-)  I just follow David's quick advice, thinking that a
pootle.postgresql.org server (or whatever) should be better for the
entire community. If it is ok, good. If not, good anyway. There will be
another server, someday.

Comienzo a entender porqué no hay aún una traducción al castellano. :-).
Sólo seguí un consejo de David, en la creencia que un servidor
pootle.postgresql.org sería mejor para toda la comunidad. Si se puede,
bien. Si no, también. Ya tendremos otro servidor en algún momento.

And that is all I have to say.

Regards,
Diego.

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Дата:
2008/12/10 Emanuel Calvo Franco <postgres.arg@gmail.com>:
> 2008/12/10 Diego Gil <diego.gil@maipucinos.com.ar>:
>> Peter Eisentraut escribió:

>>> Would you use this only for documentation or also for messages?  If the
>>> latter, would this preclude editing the PO files in other ways (locally in
>>> an editor)?  Is there an example installation of this Pootle somewhere?
>>>

>> Could be used for both, if needed. In fact, I think it will probe very
>> useful for messages too. Editing po files could be done in two ways : online
>> and the usual dowload-translate-upload cycle. We don't have a public Pootle
>> server implemented (I have one on my personal notebook for testing and
>> learning) but you can check the "official" Pootle server:
>>

> Diego, please contact with mariano reingart who is the server admin of arpug.
> There is no problem to stand up this aplicattion on that. :¬D
>

>> http://pootle.locamotion.org/
>>

>> Regards,
>> Diego.
>>

>> --

>      Emanuel Calvo Franco
> Syscope Postgresql Consultant
>     ArPUG / AOSUG Member

http://arpug.nsis.com.ar:8080/

Pootle is running. we must configure it.
Diego , Alvaro and everybody: can help mariano to configure it?

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant    ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 10 December 2008 14:05:23 Emanuel Calvo Franco wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> > Guido Barosio escribió:
> >> We are learning, committing our time and effort, surfing problems and
> >> overall helping things get done.  If this is a comlete waste of time
> >> please let me know and I will gladly let others waste their time.
> >
> > I thought what we were going to do was install it for ourselves.
> > Somebody even said they had a server somewhere on Argentina where it
> > could live.  I didn't understand the turn of events where it was decided
> > to ask to put it under postgresql.org.  As far as I understand, the
> > service would have been already running by now.
>
> Yeap. Server is ok to run Pootle. I just waiting for the server admin to
> upload this (Mariano).

It might be worth dropping a note to -advocacy and maybe even -general once
this has been put into place, so that people from other languages and/or
projects are aware of it. If this would be a good universal tool, it would be
nice to see some other language pick it up.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
Edwin Quijada
Дата:
we need to talk english here??

*-------------------------------------------------------*
*-Edwin Quijada
*-Developer DataBase
*-JQ Microsistemas
*-809-849-8087

* " Si deseas lograr cosas excepcionales debes de hacer cosas fuera de lo comun"
*-------------------------------------------------------*

> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:38:59 -0200
> From: postgres.arg@gmail.com
> To: pgsql-www@postgresql.org; pgsql-es-fomento@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] [pgsql-www] Pootle server request
>
> 2008/12/10 Emanuel Calvo Franco :

>>> Could be used for both, if needed. In fact, I think it will probe very
>>> useful for messages too. Editing po files could be done in two ways : online
>>> and the usual dowload-translate-upload cycle. We don't have a public Pootle
>>> server implemented (I have one on my personal notebook for testing and
>>> learning) but you can check the "official" Pootle server:
>>>

>> Diego, please contact with mariano reingart who is the server admin of arpug.
>> There is no problem to stand up this aplicattion on that. :¬D
>>

>>> http://pootle.locamotion.org/
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Diego.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>      Emanuel Calvo Franco
>> Syscope Postgresql Consultant
>>     ArPUG / AOSUG Member
>>

> http://arpug.nsis.com.ar:8080/
>
> Pootle is running. we must configure it.
> Diego , Alvaro and everybody: can help mariano to configure it?
>
> --
>       Emanuel Calvo Franco
> Syscope Postgresql Consultant
>      ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119462413/direct/01/

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Дата:
El día 10 de diciembre de 2008 23:34, Edwin Quijada
<listas_quijada@hotmail.com> escribió:

> Cuando se ponga de acuerdo como es , por favor avisennos.
> Por el momento seguire vegetando frente a mi TV
>
> *-------------------------------------------------------*
> *-Edwin Quijada
> *-Developer DataBase
> *-JQ Microsistemas
> *-809-849-8087
>
> * " Si deseas lograr cosas excepcionales debes de hacer cosas fuera de lo comun"
> *-------------------------------------------------------*
>

>> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:07:07 -0200
>> From: diego.gil@maipucinos.com.ar
>> To: postgres.arg@gmail.com
>> CC: pgsql-es-fomento@postgresql.org
>> Subject: Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] [pgsql-www] Pootle server request
>>
>> Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
>>> Diego, please contact with mariano reingart who is the server admin of arpug.
>>> There is no problem to stand up this aplicattion on that. :¬D
>>>

>> Emanuel:
>>
>> Estoy al tanto y me voy a comunicar con él enseguida ver en que le puedo
>> ayudar para poner en marcha el servidor Pootle.

Listo. Ya lei en otro thread que ya esta registrado y hasta veo que
hicieron los loguitos :D

Con respecto a empezar de cero, no lo veo mal. Ahi copie a ricardo mendoza al
encabezado, creo que no tendrá problemas en colaborar con lo que sea.

>> Sin embargo, no termino de entender bien algunas cosas. Hay un grupo de
>> gente que quiere seguir traduciendo de la forma en que se ha venido
>> haciendo hasta ahora (sgml directo, aún cuando no hay nada visible) y
>> otros que estamos intentando arrancar de nuevo si es posible
>> aprovechando lo que ya está. Un condicionante importante que tenemos es
>> lo que ha traducido Ricardo Mendoza. Le he solicitado esta traducción
>> para ver la facibilidad de conversión pero no está disponible, y no sé
>> cuando lo estará, pero funciona como la "compatibilidad hacia atrás" que
>> traba muchos desarrollos de software.  Yo soy de la posición de empezar
>> con una nueva traducción tan pronto como se pueda. Si para ese entonces
>> está disponible alguna traducción previa que se pueda aprovechar, mejor.
>> Pero no debe ser un condicionante. Alguien comparte esta posición ?.

De todas maneras siempre algo es reutilizable :P
Ahra creo que no hay excusas, el servidor está ('la base está'::BambinoVeira).

Lo que habria que hacer, que creo que el más adelantado en esto es Diego,
un mini Howto para aquellos que no usaron pootle jamás y linkearlo o
publicarlo en el sitio. Puede incluir también las normas de traducción e incluso
el glosario de traducción de palabras técnicas como hay en uno de los
po si mal no lo recuerdo.

>> Saludos,
>> Diego.
>>

>> --

> Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email.
> http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_safety_112008

--      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant    ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-fomento] Pootle server request

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
Guys if we are cc'ing -www we need to do it considering the usage of
the english language.

gb.-