Обсуждение: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Greetings.

Well, looks like I've finished working on all the interactive parts of the
website (i.e. forms submissions and admin part).

Admin part is accessible on
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/
Login: test
Pass: test

All the functionality of the current website is ported + (obviously)
translations management for news/events/surveys + docs comment moderation added.

Form submits on user level work, too.

For testing purposes I've set it up to send various emails to the pgsql-www
list, they'll have links to http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/ inside.

Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.

The only big *programming* part left is static website generation, after this
only content- and design-related issues will be left.

Have fun.

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
Hi Alexey,

> Well, looks like I've finished working on all the interactive parts of the
> website (i.e. forms submissions and admin part).

Good.

> Admin part is accessible on
> http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/
> Login: test
> Pass: test

I didn't like the login functionality with authenticate window. I could suggest that you implement it using a simple
form.then you could handle 'sessions' more easily.

> All the functionality of the current website is ported + (obviously)
> translations management for news/events/surveys + docs comment moderation added.

Good.

> Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.

Go to this URL:
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/news-translate.php?id=174&lang=ru

Could you make a mechanism to login/logoff? Maybe using 'sessions'.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br
Desenvolvedor Web e Administrador de Sistemas
UFGNet - Universidade Federal de Goiás

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
>>Admin part is accessible on
>>http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/
>>Login: test
>>Pass: test
>>

> I didn't like the login functionality with authenticate window. I could suggest that you implement it using a simple
form.then you could handle 'sessions' more easily.

Right now the system just uses Apache's builtin authentication mechanism, with
.htpasswd file and does not use sessions at all (as they are not needed).

If it is redone in PHP, then you'll need to store the auth info somewhere and to
create an interface for editing it.

The site's code is available on gborg in pgweb module. Do you volunteer? ;]

>>Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.
>
> Go to this URL:
> http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/news-translate.php?id=174&lang=ru

Thanks, fixed.

> Could you make a mechanism to login/logoff? Maybe using 'sessions'.

I think login already works. ;]

I'll think about logout.

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Alexey

Looks very good to me - nice work. The only couple of things I noticed
in my 10 minutes tour are:

- The 7.4 docs are not listed on the docs page
- You cannot preview news/events from the admin pages (at least, I
couldn't see how)

> The only big *programming* part left is static website
> generation, after this only content- and design-related
> issues will be left.

Excellent - the sooner we can get this live the better :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
"Dave Page"

Why? The whole thing is based around standard http authentication.
There's no need for anything more complex.

> Go to this URL:
> http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/news-translate.php?id=
> 174&lang=ru
>
> Could you make a mechanism to login/logoff? Maybe using 'sessions'.

Again, why? Close your browser and you've logged off.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
> Looks very good to me - nice work. The only couple of things I noticed
> in my 10 minutes tour are:
>
> - The 7.4 docs are not listed on the docs page

Yes, and that's exactly the thing I called "content- and design-related issues".
Someone'll have to go over the templates and sync 'em with the current site.

This someone should also probably be a native English speaking, unlike me.

> - You cannot preview news/events from the admin pages (at least, I
> couldn't see how)

Hmm. I can add a preview feature as a JS popup window which will use the site's
CSS. How does this sound?

BTW, have anyone tried submitting / editing anything? This is a separate test
DB, so the current pg.org will not be affected...

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
"Dave Page"

Yes, I realise that - just pointing it out in case you had a todo list.

> Someone'll have to go over the templates and sync 'em with
> the current site.

Perhaps you could summarise what needs checking - for example, does any
of the DB stuff need resyncing, or is it just static pages?

> This someone should also probably be a native English
> speaking, unlike me.
>
> > - You cannot preview news/events from the admin pages (at least, I
> > couldn't see how)
>
> Hmm. I can add a preview feature as a JS popup window which
> will use the site's CSS. How does this sound?

Currently we fire it off in the original php page that used to be
displayed. Now of course, the site displays the statically generated
version but in theory that looks the same as the active version. If you
can make the popup use the same format template and css as the user will
actually see, then I think that would be the best option.

Regards, Dave

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 16:13, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Well, looks like I've finished working on all the interactive parts of the
> website (i.e. forms submissions and admin part).
>
> Admin part is accessible on
> http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/
> Login: test
> Pass: test
>
> All the functionality of the current website is ported + (obviously)
> translations management for news/events/surveys + docs comment moderation added.
>
> Form submits on user level work, too.
>
> For testing purposes I've set it up to send various emails to the pgsql-www
> list, they'll have links to http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/ inside.
>
> Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.

Are you interested in nit picking or should we just wait on that and/or
submit patches ourselves?  For example, I like the layout of the old
news admin interface better.... id number,date,headline,yes/no on status
info, translations,edit,delete being more boxy and filling up browser
page... obviously a minor thing but would be nice.

Another thing I was wondering about. Once an article is translated, if
someone goes back in and edits the original article, should it mark the
article as not translated?  That is how I did it on the advocacy site...
well, actually I kept track of it the item was either new (never
translated) or stale (needed updating but had been translated.)

On the doc comment interface, what is the difference between rejected
and deleted? Maybe that's not the right question... when would I want to
reject a comment and not delete it?  Also we used to be able to edit
comments on the doc page themselves which was handy to see the comment
in context, any chance we can still do that?

Oh, and one other thing, how do we add a new language? I'd like to walk
through that process if I could.

Hmm... since none of the above are bugs... go to documentation section
and click on the FAQ/PDF links, I notice they are broken. :-)  Otherwise
everything else seemed pretty functional... great job

Robert Treat

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
>>Someone'll have to go over the templates and sync 'em with
>>the current site.
>
> Perhaps you could summarise what needs checking - for example, does any
> of the DB stuff need resyncing, or is it just static pages?

Only the static pages. The stuff that's currently kept in DB should be OK. There
is a script to update the DB structure, if more scripts are needed, I'll do them.

>>>- You cannot preview news/events from the admin pages (at least, I
>>>couldn't see how)
>>
>>Hmm. I can add a preview feature as a JS popup window which
>>will use the site's CSS. How does this sound?
>

> Currently we fire it off in the original php page that used to be
> displayed. Now of course, the site displays the statically generated
> version but in theory that looks the same as the active version. If you
> can make the popup use the same format template and css as the user will
> actually see, then I think that would be the best option.

OK, understood, I'll see what can be done.

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Robert Treat wrote:
> Are you interested in nit picking or should we just wait on that and/or
> submit patches ourselves?  For example, I like the layout of the old
> news admin interface better.... id number,date,headline,yes/no on status
> info, translations,edit,delete being more boxy and filling up browser
> page... obviously a minor thing but would be nice.

This is controlled by the templates in portal/template/admin

Yes, feel free to provide patches. ;]

> Another thing I was wondering about. Once an article is translated, if
> someone goes back in and edits the original article, should it mark the
> article as not translated?  That is how I did it on the advocacy site...
> well, actually I kept track of it the item was either new (never
> translated) or stale (needed updating but had been translated.)

Oh, you are right here.

I think a timestamp is needed in the table containing texts and a trigger to
change that on update. Then it'll be possible to check whether the master was
modified after the translation and mark this fact.

> On the doc comment interface, what is the difference between rejected
> and deleted? Maybe that's not the right question... when would I want to
> reject a comment and not delete it?  Also we used to be able to edit
> comments on the doc page themselves which was handy to see the comment
> in context, any chance we can still do that?

Deleted comments are, um, deleted.
Rejected are marked but kept in the DB, they are obviously not shown on the site.

If you feel that it's not needed, I'll leave only the 'delete' option.

I didn't see anything for editing the comments in the current site's code, BTW.

> Oh, and one other thing, how do we add a new language? I'd like to walk
> through that process if I could.

Manually, by adding the language to the array[s] in
portal/system/global/languages.php

> Hmm... since none of the above are bugs... go to documentation section
> and click on the FAQ/PDF links, I notice they are broken. :-)  Otherwise
> everything else seemed pretty functional... great job

That's once again a content issue. ;]

Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:49, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> > Another thing I was wondering about. Once an article is translated, if
> > someone goes back in and edits the original article, should it mark the
> > article as not translated?  That is how I did it on the advocacy site...
> > well, actually I kept track of it the item was either new (never
> > translated) or stale (needed updating but had been translated.)
>
> Oh, you are right here.
>
> I think a timestamp is needed in the table containing texts and a trigger to
> change that on update. Then it'll be possible to check whether the master was
> modified after the translation and mark this fact.

Guess I need to look at your schema... the way it's done on advocacy is
that the translation entry isnt created for a language until the first
time an article is translated. once its created its marked "up to date",
and then if the original text is edited we mark all existing
translations "not up to date".  a UNION query grabs all non-existent and
not up to date and presents a lit for translators...  timestamps could
work, though you'd have to track it for each translation...

> > On the doc comment interface, what is the difference between rejected
> > and deleted? Maybe that's not the right question... when would I want to
> > reject a comment and not delete it?  Also we used to be able to edit
> > comments on the doc page themselves which was handy to see the comment
> > in context, any chance we can still do that?
>
> Deleted comments are, um, deleted.
> Rejected are marked but kept in the DB, they are obviously not shown on the site.
>
> If you feel that it's not needed, I'll leave only the 'delete' option.

What status are new comments put in? If they have no status, delete or
approved seems to cover it...  anyone else have an opinion on that? btw
doesnt hurt to leave reject bit for now so it would be low priority even
if we remove it.

> I didn't see anything for editing the comments in the current site's code, BTW.

hmm... Dave dont you have some crazy bit of URL strings you pass in to
be able edit comments on a page?  or maybe it just shows the entry
number and you have to manually delete the entries?

> > Oh, and one other thing, how do we add a new language? I'd like to walk
> > through that process if I could.
>
> Manually, by adding the language to the array[s] in
> portal/system/global/languages.php

OK, once that is done, how does a translator know what needs to be
translated... guess this is kind of a doc thing :-)

> > Hmm... since none of the above are bugs... go to documentation section
> > and click on the FAQ/PDF links, I notice they are broken. :-)  Otherwise
> > everything else seemed pretty functional... great job
>
> That's once again a content issue. ;]

:-)

Robert Treat

Re: Status update on 'new' website, testing needed

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Robert Treat once said:

> hmm... Dave dont you have some crazy bit of URL strings you pass in to
> be able edit comments on a page?  or maybe it just shows the entry
> number and you have to manually delete the entries?

There is a var you can set to display the ids - I forget what it is
offhand though.
Regards, Dave