Обсуждение: any proper benchmark scripts?

any proper benchmark scripts?

От
clayton cottingham
hello:

im try to find out how mysql or postgresql perform

i was wondering if there are any benchmarking scripts out there?
if so please lemme see em try em etc!!

Re: any proper benchmark scripts?

От
"Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog"
Дата:
hello

on the modperl list a good thread was happening called
'fast db access'
find attached scripts used to do this

here are my results:

[drfrog]$ perl fast_db.pl
postgres
16 wallclock secs ( 0.05 usr +    0.00 sys =  0.05 CPU) @ 400.00/s (n=20)
mysql
 3 wallclock secs ( 0.07 usr +    0.00 sys =  0.07 CPU) @ 285.71/s (n=20)
postgres
17 wallclock secs ( 0.06 usr +    0.00 sys =  0.06 CPU) @ 333.33/s (n=20)
mysql
 3 wallclock secs ( 0.01 usr +    0.01 sys =  0.02 CPU) @ 1000.00/s (n=20)

correct me if im wrong but if fast_db.pl is
working right
first set is insert
second set is select

comp stats

running stock rpms from mandrake 7.2 for both
postgresql and mysql
 3.23.23-beta of mysql and
7.02 of postgresql

[drfrog@nomad desktop]$ uname -a
Linux nomad.localdomain 2.2.18 #2 Tue Apr 17 22:55:04 PDT 2001 i686 unknown

[drfrog]$ cat /proc/meminfo
    total:      used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  257511424 170409984 87101440 24219648 96067584 44507136
Swap: 254943232        0 254943232
MemTotal:    251476 kB
MemFree:      85060 kB
MemShared:    23652 kB
Buffers:      93816 kB
Cached:       43464 kB
SwapTotal:   248968 kB
SwapFree:    248968 kB
[drfrog]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 6
model        : 3
model name    : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
stepping    : 1
cpu MHz     : 697.535
cache size    : 64 KB
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug     : no
sep_bug     : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 1
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 psn mmxext mmx fxsr 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips    : 1392.64

i will recomp both the newest postgresql and  mysql

not using any optimizing techs at all i'll post the

config scripts i use

--
back in the day
we didn't have no

Вложения

Re: any proper benchmark scripts?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Clayton,

Was it opening a new connection to the database every time, or did it
open one connection each time and pump multiple queries through it?

It would be a good things to develop your script and benchmark this both
ways.  Could become a useful tool for sizing both of these databases.

Out of curiosity do you have access to other databases such as
Interbase, Oracle, DB2, Informix, and so forth?  The more it can connect
to, the better people will be able to understand each one's strengths
and weaknesses, in terms of Perl's DB access.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog wrote:

> [...]
> find attached scripts used to do this
>
> here are my results:
>
> [drfrog]$ perl fast_db.pl
> postgres
> 16 wallclock secs ( 0.05 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.05 CPU) @ 400.00/s (n=20)
> mysql
>  3 wallclock secs ( 0.07 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.07 CPU) @ 285.71/s (n=20)
> postgres
> 17 wallclock secs ( 0.06 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.06 CPU) @ 333.33/s (n=20)
> mysql
>  3 wallclock secs ( 0.01 usr +  0.01 sys =  0.02 CPU) @ 1000.00/s (n=20)
>
> correct me if im wrong but if fast_db.pl is
> working right
> first set is insert
> second set is select
>
> comp stats
>
> running stock rpms from mandrake 7.2 for both
> postgresql and mysql
>  3.23.23-beta of mysql and
> 7.02 of postgresql
>
> [drfrog@nomad desktop]$ uname -a
> Linux nomad.localdomain 2.2.18 #2 Tue Apr 17 22:55:04 PDT 2001 i686 unknown
>
> [drfrog]$ cat /proc/meminfo
>         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  257511424 170409984 87101440 24219648 96067584 44507136
> Swap: 254943232        0 254943232
> MemTotal:    251476 kB
> MemFree:      85060 kB
> MemShared:    23652 kB
> Buffers:      93816 kB
> Cached:       43464 kB
> SwapTotal:   248968 kB
> SwapFree:    248968 kB
> [drfrog]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 3
> model name      : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 697.535
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> sep_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> pse36 psn mmxext mmx fxsr 3dnowext 3dnow
> bogomips        : 1392.64
>
> i will recomp both the newest postgresql and  mysql
>
> not using any optimizing techs at all i'll post the
>
> config scripts i use
>
> --
> back in the day
> we didn't have no
> old school
> -dr. frog
> http://www.hyperbomb.com
> it sells itself

>                  Name: fast_db.pl
>    fast_db.pl    Type: Perl Program (application/x-perl)
>              Encoding: base64
>
>                     Name: benchmark.sql
>    benchmark.sql    Type: application/x-unknown-content-type-sql_auto_file

first group; there was less competition there."    - Indira Gandhi

Re: any proper benchmark scripts?

От
Thomas Good
Дата:
On 18 Apr 2001, Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog wrote:

> i will recomp both the newest postgresql and  mysql
> not using any optimizing techs at all i'll post the
> config scripts i use

Hiya Clayton,

Try it with a few hundred thousand tuples in a good size table with
say 300 users banging on the box.  MySQL is a nice substitute for
Access but that's about it.

Not to mention missing features:  views and foreign keys for
example...and have a look at the API...yuck.  I always hear people
complain (MySQL fans) about Pg not having DROP COLUMN in its SQL
implementation.  To me a VIEW is slightly more important.  ;-)

(Trying hard not to be obnoxious here but failing.  Comparing MySQL
to Pg is like comparing windows to BSD...and I just can't apologise
for calling it like I see it!)

Cheers!
Tom (the most obnoxious man in Staten Island?)

Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Database Administrator                          Phone:  718-354-5528
Staten Island Region                            Mobile: 917-282-7359