Re: any proper benchmark scripts?

От Roberto Mello
Тема Re: any proper benchmark scripts?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 07:00:24PM -0700, Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog wrote:
"Benchmarks" comparing MySQL to anything else usually make the worst
and lowest denominator compromise (which obviously favours MySQL).- What table types did you use on MySQL? Did you use
theBDB (or  whatever the transaction tables are called) or ISAM tables? If you  didn't use transactional tables, it's
nota fair comparison.

- In PostgreSQL, did you do the inserts in a single transaction block  or just did what MySQL users usually do because
theyknow what a  transaction is, and left every INSERT on its own (effectively     putting each on its transaction
block)?
  If you didn't put the inserts into a single transaction block, then     it's not a realistic test because that's not
whatyou would do in     real life in a real database system (pretty much anything besides     MySQL and Access).

> correct me if im wrong but if fast_db.pl is
> working right
> first set is insert
> second set is select
Speed is good. But it's not everything. You should do it right, then
make it fast. MySQL implementors don't care about doing it right. They
just care about making it fast.My filesystem is much faster than the MySQL filesystem (that's what it
is). UDP is faster than TCP, but TCP is better and more reliable. A
skydiver without a parachute will always fall faster than the one with
parachute. The skydiving school will say "we make your fall more exciting,
and much faster than our competitors." and the dumb skydivers will reply
"well, if you make my fall faster, then of course you're the best".
Which one will survive the fall?
Comparing MySQL to PostgreSQL, Oracle or any other real database is
like comparing DOS with UNIX, or Emacs with an orange.
-Roberto Mello
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net      http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer

I wonder what this button does? *&^(&^)#@$*&_% NO CARRIER

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: clayton cottingham
Сообщение: Re: any proper benchmark scripts?
От: "Poul L. Christiansen"
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql to Access