Re: any proper benchmark scripts?

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: any proper benchmark scripts?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Clayton,

Was it opening a new connection to the database every time, or did it
open one connection each time and pump multiple queries through it?

It would be a good things to develop your script and benchmark this both
ways.  Could become a useful tool for sizing both of these databases.

Out of curiosity do you have access to other databases such as
Interbase, Oracle, DB2, Informix, and so forth?  The more it can connect
to, the better people will be able to understand each one's strengths
and weaknesses, in terms of Perl's DB access.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog wrote:

> hello
>
> on the modperl list a good thread was happening called
> 'fast db access'
> find attached scripts used to do this
>
> here are my results:
>
> [drfrog]$ perl fast_db.pl
> postgres
> 16 wallclock secs ( 0.05 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.05 CPU) @ 400.00/s (n=20)
> mysql
>  3 wallclock secs ( 0.07 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.07 CPU) @ 285.71/s (n=20)
> postgres
> 17 wallclock secs ( 0.06 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.06 CPU) @ 333.33/s (n=20)
> mysql
>  3 wallclock secs ( 0.01 usr +  0.01 sys =  0.02 CPU) @ 1000.00/s (n=20)
>
> correct me if im wrong but if fast_db.pl is
> working right
> first set is insert
> second set is select
>
> comp stats
>
> running stock rpms from mandrake 7.2 for both
> postgresql and mysql
>  3.23.23-beta of mysql and
> 7.02 of postgresql
>
> [drfrog@nomad desktop]$ uname -a
> Linux nomad.localdomain 2.2.18 #2 Tue Apr 17 22:55:04 PDT 2001 i686 unknown
>
> [drfrog]$ cat /proc/meminfo
>         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  257511424 170409984 87101440 24219648 96067584 44507136
> Swap: 254943232        0 254943232
> MemTotal:    251476 kB
> MemFree:      85060 kB
> MemShared:    23652 kB
> Buffers:      93816 kB
> Cached:       43464 kB
> SwapTotal:   248968 kB
> SwapFree:    248968 kB
> [drfrog]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 3
> model name      : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 697.535
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> sep_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> pse36 psn mmxext mmx fxsr 3dnowext 3dnow
> bogomips        : 1392.64
>
> i will recomp both the newest postgresql and  mysql
>
> not using any optimizing techs at all i'll post the
>
> config scripts i use
>
> --
> back in the day
> we didn't have no
> old school
> -dr. frog
> http://www.hyperbomb.com
> it sells itself

>                  Name: fast_db.pl
>    fast_db.pl    Type: Perl Program (application/x-perl)
>              Encoding: base64

> [...]

first group; there was less competition there."    - Indira Gandhi