Обсуждение: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jamie Walker
Дата:
I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
however, when I start postmaster, it fails:

$ ipc-daemon &
$ postmaster -i &
[2] 528923
$ G:\CYGW\USR\LOCAL\PGSQL\BIN\POSTGRES.EXE: *** recreate_mmaps_after_for
k_failed
Startup failed - abort
NOTICE:  IpcMemoryDetach: shmdt(0x0x82f6a000): Invalid argument
NOTICE:  IpcMemoryDetach: shmdt(0x0x86ba1000): Invalid argument
NOTICE:  IpcMemoryDetach: shmdt(0x0x82c50000): Invalid argument

I have applied the patch indicated in a previous thread for cygipc, but
the error still persists. I also tried version 1.07.

I note from the mailing list that someone has had PostgreSQL working
under Win98 before - I would be extremely grateful if someone could help
me get this working.

[ I can't seem to get gdb to work properly under Cygwin (would not find
the source files), so I was unable to step through the code and see what
the problem is. ]

Thanks!
--
Jamie Walker              "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
jamie@sagaxis.co.uk        Just say the lines and don't trip over the

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Jamie,

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:51:32PM +0000, Jamie Walker wrote:
> I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
> I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
> compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
> however, when I start postmaster, it fails:
>
> $ ipc-daemon &
> $ postmaster -i &
> [2] 528923
> $ G:\CYGW\USR\LOCAL\PGSQL\BIN\POSTGRES.EXE: *** recreate_mmaps_after_for
> k_failed
> Startup failed - abort

The above problem is due to Cygwin 1.1.8, see the following for more
information:

You can "fix" the problem by temporarily downgrading to Cygwin 1.1.7.

Please do me a favor and forward this to pgsql-ports@postgresql.org, if
you don't see my response there too.  I have been having problem posting
recently.  When it rains it pours...

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jamie Walker
Дата:
In article <20010203185926.R1800@dothill.com>, Jason Tishler
<Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes
>On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:51:32PM +0000, Jamie Walker wrote:
>> I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
>> I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
>> compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
>> however, when I start postmaster, it fails:
<SNIP>

>You can "fix" the problem by temporarily downgrading to Cygwin 1.1.7.
Many thanks! It's working like a charm now. :)

Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
and not on Win98?
--
Jamie Walker              "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
jamie@sagaxis.co.uk        Just say the lines and don't trip over the
http://www.sagaxis.co.uk/  furniture."  (Noel Coward)

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

Дата:
> In article <20010203185926.R1800@dothill.com>, Jason Tishler
> <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes
> >On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:51:32PM +0000, Jamie Walker wrote:
> >> I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
> >> I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
> >> compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
> >> however, when I start postmaster, it fails:
> <SNIP>
>
> >You can "fix" the problem by temporarily downgrading to Cygwin 1.1.7.
> Many thanks! It's working like a charm now. :)
>
> Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
> and not on Win98?

Did you read all of the FAQ?

    The database server does not run on MS Windows
    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
    platform.

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jamie Walker
Дата:
In article <200102042141.QAA14198@candle.pha.pa.us>, Bruce Momjian
<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes
>> Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
>> and not on Win98?
>
>Did you read all of the FAQ?
>
>    The database server does not run on MS Windows
>    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
>    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
>    platform.
I only read the platform specific FAQ, but I remember reading the above
a while back.

My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
to play with! :)
--
Jamie Walker              "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
jamie@sagaxis.co.uk        Just say the lines and don't trip over the
http://www.sagaxis.co.uk/  furniture."  (Noel Coward)

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 04:41:44PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:51:32PM +0000, Jamie Walker wrote:
> > Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
> > and not on Win98?
>
> Did you read all of the FAQ?
>
>     The database server does not run on MS Windows
>     9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
>     platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
>     platform.

To which FAQ are you referring.  The only one that I can find is:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin

Although my use of PostgreSQL on Windows 98 was casual and very short in
duration, PostgreSQL 7.0.2 seemed to run fine.  To what Cygwin missing
features on Windows 9X or Me are you referring?  Note that this inquiry
is purely academic.  When forced to use Windows I would only seriously
consider using NT 4.0 or 2000 -- never 9X or Me.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

Дата:
> In article <200102042141.QAA14198@candle.pha.pa.us>, Bruce Momjian
> <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes
> >> Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
> >> and not on Win98?
> >
> >Did you read all of the FAQ?
> >
> >    The database server does not run on MS Windows
> >    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
> >    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
> >    platform.
> I only read the platform specific FAQ, but I remember reading the above
> a while back.
>
> My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
> great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
> to play with! :)

What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
Can you supply the cygwin version?

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

Дата:
> To which FAQ are you referring.  The only one that I can find is:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin
>
> Although my use of PostgreSQL on Windows 98 was casual and very short in
> duration, PostgreSQL 7.0.2 seemed to run fine.  To what Cygwin missing
> features on Windows 9X or Me are you referring?  Note that this inquiry
> is purely academic.  When forced to use Windows I would only seriously
> consider using NT 4.0 or 2000 -- never 9X or Me.

Again, this is quite a surprise to me.  I guess they have improved
Cygwin quite a bit.  Can other Win98/Cygin people comment on when it
started working on Win98?

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Bruce,

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 06:33:34PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Again, this is quite a surprise to me.  I guess they have improved
> Cygwin quite a bit.

IIRC, I tried out PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on Cygwin 1.1.4 on Windows 98 in
the 9/2000 time frame.  But, my guess is that PostgreSQL would run
on Windows 9X on Cygwin 1.1.1 (i.e., the first Net Release) or later.
I think that Cygwin 1.1.1 was released in the spring 2000 time frame.

> Can other Win98/Cygin people comment on when it
> started working on Win98?

Unfortunately, I never ran the regression tests on Windows 9X or Me.  I
also will not have access to a 9X or Me machine for a while.  Can
someone run the regression tests on such a machine and report back to the
list?

Cygwin runs pretty much the same on 9X/Me as on NT/2000 except for a few
rough edges and some perceived pokiness.  I think that the services that
PostgreSQL needs from Cygwin should be okay on 9X/Me but the regression
test results will give us the definitive answer.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Kevin Lo
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > In article <200102042141.QAA14198@candle.pha.pa.us>, Bruce Momjian
> > <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes
> > >
> > >Did you read all of the FAQ?
> > >
> > >    The database server does not run on MS Windows
> > >    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
> > >    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
> > >    platform.
> > I only read the platform specific FAQ, but I remember reading the above
> > a while back.
> >
> > My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
> > great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
> > to play with! :)
>
> What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
> you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
> Can you supply the cygwin version?

Not surprisingly :-) Someone followed my page to install PostgreSQL to
Windows 98 last year, he told me that it runs on Win98 with no problems.
Because I don't have Win98, I can't test it whether it works nor not.
Well, I think PostgreSQL-7.0.x can run on Win98...

- Kevin

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

Дата:
> > > My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
> > > great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
> > > to play with! :)
> >
> > What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
> > you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
> > Can you supply the cygwin version?
>
> Not surprisingly :-) Someone followed my page to install PostgreSQL to
> Windows 98 last year, he told me that it runs on Win98 with no problems.
> Because I don't have Win98, I can't test it whether it works nor not.
> Well, I think PostgreSQL-7.0.x can run on Win98...

Updated FAQ item:

The database server can run on Windows NT, Win2k, and Win98 using
Cygwin, the Cygnus Unix/NT porting library. See pgsql/doc/FAQ_MSWIN in
the distribution or the MS Windows FAQ on our web site. We have no plan
to do a native port to any Microsoft platform.

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Yutaka tanida
Дата:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:32:35 -0500 (EST)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
> you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
> Can you supply the cygwin version?

I also tried to run on Win9x with cygwin1.1.7, and succeed only with one
connection. It seems very unstable.

--
Yutaka tanida <yutaka@hi-net.zaq.ne.jp>

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Bruce,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:39:05PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
> > > you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
> > > Can you supply the cygwin version?
> >
> > Not surprisingly :-) Someone followed my page to install PostgreSQL to
> > Windows 98 last year, he told me that it runs on Win98 with no problems.
> > Because I don't have Win98, I can't test it whether it works nor not.
> > Well, I think PostgreSQL-7.0.x can run on Win98...
>
> Updated FAQ item:
>
> The database server can run on Windows NT, Win2k, and Win98 using
> Cygwin, the Cygnus Unix/NT porting library. See pgsql/doc/FAQ_MSWIN in
> the distribution or the MS Windows FAQ on our web site. We have no plan
> to do a native port to any Microsoft platform.

I would change the first sentence above to:

    The database server can run on Windows NT, 2000, 9X, and Me using
    Cygwin, the Red Hat Unix/Windows porting library.

But, I recommend holding off on the update until someone runs the
regression test.  Especially, because of the following:

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:43:25PM +0900, Yutaka tanida wrote:
> I also tried to run on Win9x with cygwin1.1.7, and succeed only with one
> connection. It seems very unstable.

Yutaka has proven himself very knowledgeable in the area of Cygwin PostgreSQL
and I think that we should heed his warning.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

Дата:
> > The database server can run on Windows NT, Win2k, and Win98 using
> > Cygwin, the Cygnus Unix/NT porting library. See pgsql/doc/FAQ_MSWIN in
> > the distribution or the MS Windows FAQ on our web site. We have no plan
> > to do a native port to any Microsoft platform.
>
> I would change the first sentence above to:
>
>     The database server can run on Windows NT, 2000, 9X, and Me using
>     Cygwin, the Red Hat Unix/Windows porting library.
>
> But, I recommend holding off on the update until someone runs the
> regression test.  Especially, because of the following:

OK, FAQ updated.

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
"Eduardo Stern"
Дата:
Well, I use it on Win98 for testing purposes, and it runs just fine...

CygWin 1.1.7, PostgreSQL 7.03 or 7.1beta4, Win98SE...

Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> escreveu nas not�cias de
mensagem:200102042332.SAA17600@candle.pha.pa.us...
> > In article <200102042141.QAA14198@candle.pha.pa.us>, Bruce Momjian
> > <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes
> > >
> > >Did you read all of the FAQ?
> > >
> > >    The database server does not run on MS Windows
> > >    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
> > >    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
> > >    platform.
> > I only read the platform specific FAQ, but I remember reading the above
> > a while back.
> >
> > My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
> > great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
> > to play with! :)
>
> What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
> you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
> Can you supply the cygwin version?

Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Eduardo,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 06:41:42PM -0200, Eduardo Stern wrote:
> Well, I use it on Win98 for testing purposes, and it runs just fine...
>
> CygWin 1.1.7, PostgreSQL 7.03 or 7.1beta4, Win98SE...

Would you be willing to run the regression tests and report the results
to the list?

Thanks,
Jason