Обсуждение: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Sethu Prasad
Дата:
Hi,

Anyone lucky to have dbt5 run for PostgreSQL 9.0.3?!

I am trying on Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 x86_64 with a virtual machine and bit hard with no success run yet. If you can help me with any docs will be more of a support.

Regards,

Sethu Prasad

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Sethu Prasad <sethuprasad.in@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone lucky to have dbt5 run for PostgreSQL 9.0.3?!
>
> I am trying on Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 x86_64 with a
> virtual machine and bit hard with no success run yet. If you can help me
> with any docs will be more of a support.

What's going wrong for you?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Sethu Prasad
Дата:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=osdldbt-general&max_rows=25&style=nested&viewmonth=201104

- Sethu

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Sethu Prasad <sethuprasad.in@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone lucky to have dbt5 run for PostgreSQL 9.0.3?!
>
> I am trying on Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 x86_64 with a
> virtual machine and bit hard with no success run yet. If you can help me
> with any docs will be more of a support.

What's going wrong for you?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Sethu Prasad <sethuprasad.in@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=osdldbt-general&max_rows=25&style=nested&viewmonth=201104

It's not very obvious from reading through that link what you still
need help with.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
bobbyw
Дата:
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in since I am having
problems with this as well.

I too am trying to run dbt5 against Postgres.  Specifically I am trying to
run it against Postgres 9.1beta3.

After jumping through many hoops I ultimately was able to build dbt5 on my
debian environment, but when I attempt to run the benchmark with:

dbt5-run-workload -a pgsql -c 5000 -t 5000 -d 60 -u 1 -i ~/dbt5-0.1.0/egen
-f 500 -w 300 -n dbt5 -p 5432 -o /tmp/results

it runs to completion but all of the dbt5 log files contain errors like:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pqxx::broken_connection'
  what():  could not connect to server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I'm lead to believe that this is an error I would receive if the Postgres db
were not running, but it is.  In fact, the way dbt5-run-workload works it
starts the database automatically.  I have also confirmed it is running by
manually connecting while this benchmark is in progress (and after it has
already started the database and logged the above error).

Any thoughts on why I might be getting this error?

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 8/17/2011 10:29 AM, bobbyw wrote:
> Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in since I am having
> problems with this as well.
>
> I too am trying to run dbt5 against Postgres.  Specifically I am trying to
> run it against Postgres 9.1beta3.
>
> After jumping through many hoops I ultimately was able to build dbt5 on my
> debian environment, but when I attempt to run the benchmark with:
>
> dbt5-run-workload -a pgsql -c 5000 -t 5000 -d 60 -u 1 -i ~/dbt5-0.1.0/egen
> -f 500 -w 300 -n dbt5 -p 5432 -o /tmp/results
>
> it runs to completion but all of the dbt5 log files contain errors like:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pqxx::broken_connection'
>    what():  could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>          Is the server running locally and accepting
>          connections on Unix domain socket
> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> I'm lead to believe that this is an error I would receive if the Postgres db
> were not running, but it is.  In fact, the way dbt5-run-workload works it
> starts the database automatically.  I have also confirmed it is running by
> manually connecting while this benchmark is in progress (and after it has
> already started the database and logged the above error).
>
> Any thoughts on why I might be getting this error?

Its trying to connect to unix socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432",

but your postgresql.conf file probably has:
unix_socket_directory = '/tmp'

Change it to:
unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'

and restart PG.

-Andy

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
bobbyw
Дата:
Awesome.. that did it!  It was actually not set at all in postgresql.conf,
although it was commented out as:

# unix_socket_directory = ''

Presumably it was using the default of '/tmp'?

Anyway, after making that change dbt5 runs fine, but now when I try to
connect via "psql" I get:

psql.bin: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Why is psql looking in /tmp?

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
"ktm@rice.edu"
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:59:12AM -0700, bobbyw wrote:
> Awesome.. that did it!  It was actually not set at all in postgresql.conf,
> although it was commented out as:
>
> # unix_socket_directory = ''
>
> Presumably it was using the default of '/tmp'?
>
> Anyway, after making that change dbt5 runs fine, but now when I try to
> connect via "psql" I get:
>
> psql.bin: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Why is psql looking in /tmp?

Because that is the default location. If you want to change it, you need
to use the -h commandline option.

Regards,
Ken

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

Дата:
"ktm@rice.edu" <ktm@rice.edu> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:59:12AM -0700, bobbyw wrote:
>> Why is psql looking in /tmp?

> Because that is the default location. If you want to change it, you need
> to use the -h commandline option.

It sounds to me like bobbyw might have two separate installations of
postgres (or at least two copies of psql), one compiled with /tmp as the
default socket location and one compiled with /var/run/postgresql as the
default.  /tmp is the out-of-the-box default but I think Debian likes to
build it with /var/run/postgresql as the default.

            regards, tom lane

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Aidan Van Dyk
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> It sounds to me like bobbyw might have two separate installations of
> postgres (or at least two copies of psql), one compiled with /tmp as the
> default socket location and one compiled with /var/run/postgresql as the
> default.  /tmp is the out-of-the-box default but I think Debian likes to
> build it with /var/run/postgresql as the default.

It looked like the actual DBT-5 harness is built with "system
libraries" (libpqxx, linked to system libpq, with debian's
/var/run/postgresql), but the scaffolding around it uses a "local"
postgres (server and psql) using the source default of /tmp?

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

Дата:
Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It sounds to me like bobbyw might have two separate installations of
>> postgres (or at least two copies of psql), one compiled with /tmp as the
>> default socket location and one compiled with /var/run/postgresql as the
>> default.  /tmp is the out-of-the-box default but I think Debian likes to
>> build it with /var/run/postgresql as the default.

> It looked like the actual DBT-5 harness is built with "system
> libraries" (libpqxx, linked to system libpq, with debian's
> /var/run/postgresql), but the scaffolding around it uses a "local"
> postgres (server and psql) using the source default of /tmp?

Hmm ... doesn't sound like an amazingly good idea.  But if DBT wants to
do it that way, it'd be well advised to not assume that the system
libraries have either the port number or socket directory defaulting
to what it is using.  Or maybe the problem is that it does override all
that stuff and works fine by itself, but then you can't easily connect
to the server manually?

            regards, tom lane

Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM, bobbyw <bobbyw@sendprobe.com> wrote:
> Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in since I am having
> problems with this as well.
>
> I too am trying to run dbt5 against Postgres.  Specifically I am trying to
> run it against Postgres 9.1beta3.
>
> After jumping through many hoops I ultimately was able to build dbt5 on my
> debian environment, but when I attempt to run the benchmark with:
>
> dbt5-run-workload -a pgsql -c 5000 -t 5000 -d 60 -u 1 -i ~/dbt5-0.1.0/egen
> -f 500 -w 300 -n dbt5 -p 5432 -o /tmp/results
>
> it runs to completion but all of the dbt5 log files contain errors like:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pqxx::broken_connection'
>  what():  could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>        Is the server running locally and accepting
>        connections on Unix domain socket
> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> I'm lead to believe that this is an error I would receive if the Postgres db
> were not running, but it is.  In fact, the way dbt5-run-workload works it
> starts the database automatically.  I have also confirmed it is running by
> manually connecting while this benchmark is in progress (and after it has
> already started the database and logged the above error).
>
> Any thoughts on why I might be getting this error?

Hi there,

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner.  Can you try using the code from the
git repository?  I removed libpqxx and just used libpq a while ago to
hopefully simplify the kit:

git://osdldbt.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/osdldbt/dbt5

Regards,
Mark