Обсуждение: Insert performance with composite index

Insert performance with composite index

От
Divakar Singh
Дата:
Hi,
I am trying to tune my libpq program for insert performance.
When I tried inserting 1M rows into a table with a Primary Key, it took almost 62 seconds.
After adding a composite index of 2 columns, the performance degrades to 125 seconds.
I am using COPY to insert all data in 1 transaction.

the table definition is

CREATE TABLE ABC
(
  event integer,
  innodeid character varying(80),
  innodename character varying(80),
  sourceid character varying(300),
  intime timestamp(3) without time zone,
  outnodeid character varying(80),
  outnodename character varying(80),
  destinationid character varying(300),
  outtime timestamp(3) without time zone,
  bytes integer,
  cdrs integer,
  tableindex integer NOT NULL,
  noofsubfilesinfile integer,
  recordsequenceintegerlist character varying(1000),
  CONSTRAINT tableindex_pkey PRIMARY KEY (tableindex)
)

the index definition is

CREATE INDEX "PK_AT2"
  ON ABC
  USING btree
  (event, tableindex)
TABLESPACE sample;

Any tip to increase the insert performance in this case?

It would also be helpful if someone can send comprehensive libpq programming guide for PG 9.x. Online doc of libpq is not much helpful for a newbie like me.

Best Regards,
Divakar

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Divakar Singh
Дата:
Hi Marti,
Thanks for your tips. i will try those.
I am on Solaris Sparc 5.10

Best Regards,
Divakar

> I am trying to tune my libpq program for insert performance.
> When I tried inserting 1M rows into a table with a Primary Key, it took
> almost 62 seconds.
> After adding a composite index of 2 columns, the performance degrades to 125
> seconds.

This sounds a lot like the bottleneck I was hitting. What Linux kernel
version are you running?

If it's 2.6.33 or later, see:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server#wal_sync_method_wal_buffers
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-10/msg00602.php

Regards,
Marti

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Marti Raudsepp
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 14:49, Divakar Singh <dpsmails@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am trying to tune my libpq program for insert performance.
> When I tried inserting 1M rows into a table with a Primary Key, it took
> almost 62 seconds.
> After adding a composite index of 2 columns, the performance degrades to 125
> seconds.

This sounds a lot like the bottleneck I was hitting. What Linux kernel
version are you running?

If it's 2.6.33 or later, see:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server#wal_sync_method_wal_buffers
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-10/msg00602.php

Regards,
Marti

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Marti Raudsepp
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 14:56, Divakar Singh <dpsmails@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your tips. i will try those.
> I am on Solaris Sparc 5.10

Sorry, I assumed you were running Linux. But still it could be the
same problem as I had.

Be careful changing your wal_sync_method, as it has the potential to
corrupt your database. I have no experience with Solaris.

For what it's worth, Jignesh Shah recommends using
wal_sync_method=fsync on Solaris:
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/entry/postgresql_on_solaris_better_use
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/entry/postgresql_wal_sync_method_and

Regards,
Marti

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
2010/11/1 Divakar Singh <dpsmails@yahoo.com>:
> Hi,
> I am trying to tune my libpq program for insert performance.
> When I tried inserting 1M rows into a table with a Primary Key, it took
> almost 62 seconds.
> After adding a composite index of 2 columns, the performance degrades to 125
> seconds.
> I am using COPY to insert all data in 1 transaction.
>
> the table definition is
>
> CREATE TABLE ABC
> (
>   event integer,
>   innodeid character varying(80),
>   innodename character varying(80),
>   sourceid character varying(300),
>   intime timestamp(3) without time zone,
>   outnodeid character varying(80),
>   outnodename character varying(80),
>   destinationid character varying(300),
>   outtime timestamp(3) without time zone,
>   bytes integer,
>   cdrs integer,
>   tableindex integer NOT NULL,
>   noofsubfilesinfile integer,
>   recordsequenceintegerlist character varying(1000),
>   CONSTRAINT tableindex_pkey PRIMARY KEY (tableindex)
> )
>
> the index definition is
>

> CREATE INDEX "PK_AT2"
>   ON ABC
>   USING btree
>   (event, tableindex)
> TABLESPACE sample;

Indexing twice the same column is useless. (perhaps move your PK to
the tablespace 'sample' is good too ?)

> Any tip to increase the insert performance in this case?

If you create or truncate  table then copy to it, you should create
index after the copy order.

> It would also be helpful if someone can send comprehensive libpq programming
> guide for PG 9.x. Online doc of libpq is not much helpful for a newbie like
> me.
>

> Best Regards,
> Divakar

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On Monday 01 November 2010 13:49:14 Divakar Singh wrote:
> When I tried inserting 1M rows into a table with a Primary Key, it took
> almost 62 seconds.
> After adding a composite index of 2 columns, the performance degrades to
> 125 seconds.
> I am using COPY to insert all data in 1 transaction.
Without seeing your config its hard to suggest anything here. Did you do basic
tuning of your pg installation?

wal_buffers, shared_buffers, checkpoint_segments, maintenance_work_mem are
likely most relevant for that specific case.

Andres

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On Monday 01 November 2010 15:08:10 Divakar Singh wrote:
> here are my parameters:
Which pg version is that?

Re: Insert performance with composite index

От
Divakar Singh
Дата:
I am using 9.0.1