Обсуждение: Building multiple indexes concurrently

Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Rob Wultsch
Дата:
Lets say I have a large table bigTable to which I would like to add
two btree indexes. Is there a more efficient way to create indexes
than:
CREATE INDEX idx_foo on bigTable (foo);
CREATE INDEX idx_baz on bigTable (baz);
Or
CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY idx_foo on bigTable (foo);
CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY idx_baz on bigTable (baz);

Are there any particular performance optimizations that would be in
play in such a scenario?

At a minimum I assume that if both of the commands were started at
about the same time they would each scan the table in the same
direction and whichever creation was slower would benefit from most of
the table data it needed being prepopulated in shared buffers. Is this
the case?

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@gmail.com

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
On Mar 16, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Rob Wultsch wrote:

> Lets say I have a large table bigTable to which I would like to add
> two btree indexes. Is there a more efficient way to create indexes
> than:
> CREATE INDEX idx_foo on bigTable (foo);
> CREATE INDEX idx_baz on bigTable (baz);
> Or
> CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY idx_foo on bigTable (foo);
> CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY idx_baz on bigTable (baz);
>
> Are there any particular performance optimizations that would be in
> play in such a scenario?
>
> At a minimum I assume that if both of the commands were started at
> about the same time they would each scan the table in the same
> direction and whichever creation was slower would benefit from most of
> the table data it needed being prepopulated in shared buffers. Is this
> the case?

That sounds reasonable to me. You might also look at upping your maintenance_work_mem for your session, as well.

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Rob Wultsch wrote:
> Are there any particular performance optimizations that would be in
> play in such a scenario?

You'd want to increase maintenance_work_mem significantly, just for the
sessions that are running these.  Something like this:

|SET maintenance_work_mem = '1GB';|

I don't know if that's a huge or tiny number relative to total RAM in
your server, you get the idea though.

Also, you should have a larger than default value for
checkpoint_segments in advance of this.  That you can't set per session,
but you can adjust the value in the postgresql.conf and request a
configuration reload--don't actually need to disrupt server operation by
restarting to do it.  This will work for that:

pg_ctl reload

> At a minimum I assume that if both of the commands were started at
> about the same time they would each scan the table in the same
> direction and whichever creation was slower would benefit from most of
> the table data it needed being prepopulated in shared buffers. Is this
> the case?

This might be optimistic; whether it will be the case depends a lot on
how large your shared_buffers and OS buffer cache are relative to the
table involved.  To pick an extreme example to demonstrate what I mean,
if shared_buffers is the common default of <32MB, your table is 1TB, and
you have a giant disk array that reads fast, it's not very likely that
the second scan is going to find anything of interest left behind by the
first one.  You could try and make some rough estimates of how long it
will take to fill your RAM with table data at the expected I/O rate and
guess how likely overlap is.

There's a trade-off here, which is that in return for making it possible
the data you need to rebuild the index is more likely to be in RAM when
you need it by building two at once, the resulting indexes are likely to
end up interleaved on disk as they are written out.  If you're doing a
lot of index scans, the increased seek penalties for that may ultimately
make you regret having combined the two.  Really impossible to predict
which approach is going to be better long term without gathering so much
data that you might as well try and benchmark it on a test system
instead if you can instead.  I am not a big fan of presuming one can
predict performance instead of measuring it for complicated cases.

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

Дата:
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Rob Wultsch wrote:
>> At a minimum I assume that if both of the commands were started at
>> about the same time they would each scan the table in the same
>> direction and whichever creation was slower would benefit from most of
>> the table data it needed being prepopulated in shared buffers. Is this
>> the case?

> This might be optimistic;

No, it's not optimistic in the least, at least not since we implemented
synchronized seqscans (in 8.3 or thereabouts).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Rob Wultsch
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> Rob Wultsch wrote:
>>> At a minimum I assume that if both of the commands were started at
>>> about the same time they would each scan the table in the same
>>> direction and whichever creation was slower would benefit from most of
>>> the table data it needed being prepopulated in shared buffers. Is this
>>> the case?
>
>> This might be optimistic;
>
> No, it's not optimistic in the least, at least not since we implemented
> synchronized seqscans (in 8.3 or thereabouts).
>
>                        regards, tom lane

Where can I find details about this in the documentation?

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@gmail.com

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Rob Wultsch wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> No, it's not optimistic in the least, at least not since we implemented
>> synchronized seqscans (in 8.3 or thereabouts).
>>
> Where can I find details about this in the documentation?

It's a behind the scenes optimization so it's not really documented on
the user side very well as far as I know; easy to forget it's even there
as I did this morning.
http://j-davis.com/postgresql/syncscan/syncscan.pdf is a presentation
covering it, and http://j-davis.com/postgresql/83v82_scans.html is also
helpful.

While my pessimism on this part may have been overwrought, note the
message interleaved on the list today with this discussion from Bob
Lunney discussing the other issue I brought up:  "When using 8-way
parallel restore against a six-disk RAID 10 group I found that table and
index scan performance dropped by about 10x.  I/O performance was
restored by either clustering the tables one at a time, or by dropping
and restoring them one at a time.  The only reason I can come up with
for this behavior is file fragmentation and increased seek times."  Now,
Bob's situation may very well involve a heavy dose of table
fragmentation from multiple active loading processes rather than index
fragmentation, but this class of problem is common when trying to do too
many things at the same time.  I'd hate to see you chase a short-term
optimization (reduce total index built time) at the expense of long-term
overhead (resulting indexes are not as efficient to scan).

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On Wednesday 17 March 2010 19:44:56 Greg Smith wrote:
> Rob Wultsch wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> No, it's not optimistic in the least, at least not since we implemented
> >> synchronized seqscans (in 8.3 or thereabouts).
> >
> > Where can I find details about this in the documentation?
>
> It's a behind the scenes optimization so it's not really documented on
> the user side very well as far as I know; easy to forget it's even there
> as I did this morning.
> http://j-davis.com/postgresql/syncscan/syncscan.pdf is a presentation
> covering it, and http://j-davis.com/postgresql/83v82_scans.html is also
> helpful.
>
> While my pessimism on this part may have been overwrought, note the
> message interleaved on the list today with this discussion from Bob
> Lunney discussing the other issue I brought up:  "When using 8-way
> parallel restore against a six-disk RAID 10 group I found that table and
> index scan performance dropped by about 10x.  I/O performance was
> restored by either clustering the tables one at a time, or by dropping
> and restoring them one at a time.  The only reason I can come up with
> for this behavior is file fragmentation and increased seek times."  Now,
> Bob's situation may very well involve a heavy dose of table
> fragmentation from multiple active loading processes rather than index
> fragmentation, but this class of problem is common when trying to do too
> many things at the same time.  I'd hate to see you chase a short-term
> optimization (reduce total index built time) at the expense of long-term
> overhead (resulting indexes are not as efficient to scan).
I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.

Whats your theory to make it matter much?

Andres

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andres Freund escribió:

> I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
> constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
> small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.

Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund escribió:
>

>> I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
>> constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
>> small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.
>>

> Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.

That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
doing them in succession.  I work often with time-oriented apps that
have heavy "give me every record between <a> and <b>" components to
them, and good sequential index performance can be an important
requirement for that kind of application.

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:49 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Andres Freund escribió:
> >

> >> I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
> >> constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
> >> small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.
> >>

> > Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.
> >

> That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
> concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
> doing them in succession.

I guess that tweaking file systems to allocate in bigger chunks help
here ? I know that xfs can be tuned in that regard, but how about other
common file systems like ext3 ?

-
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
   Services, Consulting and Training

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On Wednesday 17 March 2010 22:18:47 Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:49 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > >
> > > Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.
> >
> > That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
> > concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
> > doing them in succession.
>
> I guess that tweaking file systems to allocate in bigger chunks help
> here ? I know that xfs can be tuned in that regard, but how about other
> common file systems like ext3 ?
ext4 should do that now by allocating the space for the files only after some
time or uppon things like fsync (xfs does the same).
ext3 has, as far as I know, neither the ability to change allocation size nor
can do delayed allocation.

Andres

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Justin Pitts
Дата:
It seems to me that a separate partition / tablespace would be a much simpler approach.
On Mar 17, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:49 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.
>>>

>> That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
>> concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
>> doing them in succession.
>
> I guess that tweaking file systems to allocate in bigger chunks help
> here ? I know that xfs can be tuned in that regard, but how about other
> common file systems like ext3 ?
>
> -
> Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
> PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
>   Services, Consulting and Training

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 16:12 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
> It seems to me that a separate partition / tablespace would be a much simpler approach.

Do you mean a separate partition/ tablespace for _each_ index built
concurrently ?

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> >> That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
> >> concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
> >> doing them in succession.
> >
> > I guess that tweaking file systems to allocate in bigger chunks help
> > here ? I know that xfs can be tuned in that regard, but how about other
> > common file systems like ext3 ?
> >
> > -
> > Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
> > PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
> >   Services, Consulting and Training
> >

> > --

Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
   Services, Consulting and Training

Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От
Justin Pitts
Дата:
Yes.