Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От: Hannu Krosing
Тема: Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Rob Wultsch, )
 Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Ben Chobot, )
 Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Greg Smith, )
  Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Rob Wultsch, )
    Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Greg Smith, )
     Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Andres Freund, )
      Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Alvaro Herrera, )
       Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Greg Smith, )
        Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Hannu Krosing, )
         Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Andres Freund, )
         Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Justin Pitts, )

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:49 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Andres Freund escribió:
> >

> >> I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
> >> constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
> >> small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.
> >>

> > Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.
> >

> That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
> concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
> doing them in succession.

I guess that tweaking file systems to allocate in bigger chunks help
here ? I know that xfs can be tuned in that regard, but how about other
common file systems like ext3 ?

-
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
   Services, Consulting and Training

Сообщение: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Сообщение: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions