Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

От: Andres Freund
Тема: Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Rob Wultsch, )
 Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Ben Chobot, )
 Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Greg Smith, )
  Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Rob Wultsch, )
    Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Greg Smith, )
     Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Andres Freund, )
      Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Alvaro Herrera, )
       Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Greg Smith, )
        Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Hannu Krosing, )
         Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Andres Freund, )
         Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently  (Justin Pitts, )

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 22:18:47 Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:49 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > >
> > > Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.
> >
> > That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
> > concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
> > doing them in succession.
>
> I guess that tweaking file systems to allocate in bigger chunks help
> here ? I know that xfs can be tuned in that regard, but how about other
> common file systems like ext3 ?
ext4 should do that now by allocating the space for the files only after some
time or uppon things like fsync (xfs does the same).
ext3 has, as far as I know, neither the ability to change allocation size nor
can do delayed allocation.

Andres

От: Kenneth Marshall
Сообщение: Re: GiST index performance
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: PG using index+filter instead only use index