Обсуждение: 3ware vs Areca

3ware vs Areca

От
Jeff
Дата:
I've got a couple boxes with some 3ware 9550 controllers, and I'm less than pleased with performance on them.. Sequential access is nice, but start seeking around and you kick it in the gut.  (I've found posts on the internets about others having similar issues).  My last box with a 3ware I simply had it in jbod mode and used sw raid and it smoked the hw.

Anyway, anybody have experience in 3ware vs Areca - I've heard plenty of good anecdotal things that Areca is much better, just wondering if anybody here has firsthand experience.    It'll be plugged into about 8 10k rpm sata disks.

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> wrote:
> I've got a couple boxes with some 3ware 9550 controllers, and I'm less than
> pleased with performance on them.. Sequential access is nice, but start
> seeking around and you kick it in the gut.  (I've found posts on the
> internets about others having similar issues).  My last box with a 3ware I
> simply had it in jbod mode and used sw raid and it smoked the hw.
> Anyway, anybody have experience in 3ware vs Areca - I've heard plenty of
> good anecdotal things that Areca is much better, just wondering if anybody
> here has firsthand experience.    It'll be plugged into about 8 10k rpm sata
> disks.

What RAID level are you using?  How much cache do you have?  Write
back / battery backed? What OS and version?

Everything I've heard sys they're both fast performers.

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
Luke Lonergan
Дата:
The Arecas are a lot faster than the 9550, more noticeable with disk counts from 12 on up.  At 8 disks you may not see much difference.

The 3Ware 9650 is their answer to the Areca and it put the two a lot closer.

FWIW – we got some Arecas at one point and had trouble getting them configured and working properly.

- Luke

I've got a couple boxes with some 3ware 9550 controllers, and I'm less than pleased with performance on them.. Sequential access is nice, but start seeking around and you kick it in the gut.  (I've found posts on the internets about others having similar issues).  My last box with a 3ware I simply had it in jbod mode and used sw raid and it smoked the hw.

Anyway, anybody have experience in 3ware vs Areca - I've heard plenty of good anecdotal things that Areca is much better, just wondering if anybody here has firsthand experience.    It'll be plugged into about 8 10k rpm sata disks.

thanks

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Luke Lonergan <llonergan@greenplum.com> wrote:
> The Arecas are a lot faster than the 9550, more noticeable with disk counts
> from 12 on up.  At 8 disks you may not see much difference.
>
> The 3Ware 9650 is their answer to the Areca and it put the two a lot closer.

Do you mean the areca 12xx series or the newer 1680?  I was under the
impression the difference in performance wasn't that big between teh
95xx 3wares and teh 12xx Arecas.  We have a 1680i on order, with 16
15K RPM SAS drives.  I'll let you guys know how it runs.

> FWIW – we got some Arecas at one point and had trouble getting them
> configured and working properly.

I've heard the SAS/SATA Arecas don't get along well with some SATA
drives, but generally are quite reliable on SAS.  this was in a number
of forum posts on different hardware and linux sites repeated by
different folks over and over.

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Jeff wrote:

> I've got a couple boxes with some 3ware 9550 controllers, and I'm less than
> pleased with performance on them.. Sequential access is nice, but start
> seeking around and you kick it in the gut.  (I've found posts on the
> internets about others having similar issues).

Yeah, there's something weird about those controllers, maybe in how stuff
flows through the cache, that makes them slow in a lot of situations.
The old benchmarks at
http://tweakers.net/reviews/557/21/comparison-of-nine-serial-ata-raid-5-adapters-pagina-21.html
show their cards acting badly in a lot of situations and I haven't seen
anything else since vindicating the 95XX models from them.

> My last box with a 3ware I simply had it in jbod mode and used sw raid
> and it smoked the hw.

That is often the case no matter which hardware controller you've got,
particularly in more complicated RAID setups.  You might want to consider
that a larger lesson rather than just a single data point.

> Anyway, anybody have experience in 3ware vs Areca - I've heard plenty of good
> anecdotal things that Areca is much better, just wondering if anybody here
> has firsthand experience.    It'll be plugged into about 8 10k rpm sata
> disks.

Areca had a pretty clear performance lead for a while there against
3ware's 3500 series, but from what I've been reading I'm not sure that is
still true in the current generation of products.  Check out the pages
starting at
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/SERIAL-RAID-CONTROLLERS-AMCC,1738-12.html
for example, where the newer Areca 1680ML card just gets crushed at all
kinds of workloads by the AMCC 3ware 9690SA.  I think the 3ware 9600
series cards have achieved or exceeded what Areca's 1200 series was
capable of, while Areca's latest generation has slipped a bit from the
previous one.

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
"Jeffrey Baker"
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Jeff wrote:
>
>> I've got a couple boxes with some 3ware 9550 controllers, and I'm less
>> than pleased with performance on them.. Sequential access is nice, but start
>> seeking around and you kick it in the gut.  (I've found posts on the
>> internets about others having similar issues).
>
> Yeah, there's something weird about those controllers, maybe in how stuff
> flows through the cache, that makes them slow in a lot of situations. The
> old benchmarks at
> http://tweakers.net/reviews/557/21/comparison-of-nine-serial-ata-raid-5-adapters-pagina-21.html
> show their cards acting badly in a lot of situations and I haven't seen
> anything else since vindicating the 95XX models from them.
>
>> My last box with a 3ware I simply had it in jbod mode and used sw raid and
>> it smoked the hw.
>
> That is often the case no matter which hardware controller you've got,
> particularly in more complicated RAID setups.  You might want to consider
> that a larger lesson rather than just a single data point.
>
>> Anyway, anybody have experience in 3ware vs Areca - I've heard plenty of
>> good anecdotal things that Areca is much better, just wondering if anybody
>> here has firsthand experience.    It'll be plugged into about 8 10k rpm sata
>> disks.
>
> Areca had a pretty clear performance lead for a while there against 3ware's
> 3500 series, but from what I've been reading I'm not sure that is still true
> in the current generation of products.  Check out the pages starting at
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/SERIAL-RAID-CONTROLLERS-AMCC,1738-12.html
> for example, where the newer Areca 1680ML card just gets crushed at all
> kinds of workloads by the AMCC 3ware 9690SA.  I think the 3ware 9600 series
> cards have achieved or exceeded what Areca's 1200 series was capable of,
> while Areca's latest generation has slipped a bit from the previous one.

From my experience, the Areca controllers are difficult to operate.
Their firmware is, frankly, garbage.  In more than one instance we
have had the card panic when a disk fails, which is obviously counter
to the entire purpose of a RAID.  We finally removed the Areca
controllers from our database server and replaced them with HP P800s.

-jwb

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
Jeff

Their firmware is, frankly, garbage.  In more than one instance we
have had the card panic when a disk fails, which is obviously counter
to the entire purpose of a RAID.  We finally removed the Areca
controllers from our database server and replaced them with HP P800s.

My main db has a p600 plugged into an msa70 which works well - does the HP junk work in non-hp boxes?

--

Re: 3ware vs Areca

От
Jeff