Re: 3ware vs Areca

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: 3ware vs Areca
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Jeffrey Baker wrote:

> Their firmware is, frankly, garbage.  In more than one instance we
> have had the card panic when a disk fails, which is obviously counter
> to the entire purpose of a RAID.  We finally removed the Areca
> controllers from our database server and replaced them with HP P800s.

Can you give a bit more detail here?  If what you mean is that the driver
for the card generated an OS panic when a drive failed, that's not
necessarily the firmware at all.  I know I had problems with the Areca
cards under Linux until their driver went into the mainline kernel in
2.6.19, all kinds of panics under normal conditions.  Haven't seen
anything like that with later Linux kernels or under Solaris 10, but then
again I haven't had a disk failure yet either.