Re: 3ware vs Areca

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: 3ware vs Areca
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Luke Lonergan <llonergan@greenplum.com> wrote:
> The Arecas are a lot faster than the 9550, more noticeable with disk counts
> from 12 on up.  At 8 disks you may not see much difference.
>
> The 3Ware 9650 is their answer to the Areca and it put the two a lot closer.

Do you mean the areca 12xx series or the newer 1680?  I was under the
impression the difference in performance wasn't that big between teh
95xx 3wares and teh 12xx Arecas.  We have a 1680i on order, with 16
15K RPM SAS drives.  I'll let you guys know how it runs.

> FWIW – we got some Arecas at one point and had trouble getting them
> configured and working properly.

I've heard the SAS/SATA Arecas don't get along well with some SATA
drives, but generally are quite reliable on SAS.  this was in a number
of forum posts on different hardware and linux sites repeated by
different folks over and over.