Обсуждение: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing

XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing

От
"Milen Kulev"
Дата:
I intend to test  Postgres/Bizgres for DWH use. I want to use XFS filesystem to get the best possible performance at FS
level(correct me if I am wrong !).

Is anyone using XFS for storing/retrieving relatively large amount of data  (~ 200GB)?

If yes, what about the performance and stability of  XFS.
I am especially interested in recommendations about XFS mount options and mkfs.xfs options.
My setup will be roughly this:
1) 4  SCSI HDD , 128GB each,
2) RAID 0 on the four SCSI HDD disks using LVM (software RAID)

There are two other SATA HDD in the server.  Server has 2 physical CPUs (XEON at 3 GHz),  4 Logical CPUs, 8 GB RAM,  OS
= SLES9 SP3

My questions:
1) Should I place external XFS journal on separate device ?
2) What  should be the journal buffer size (logbsize) ?
3)  How many journal buffers (logbufs) should I configure ?
4) How many allocations groups  (for mkfs.xfs) should I  configure
5)  Is it wortj settion noatime ?
6) What I/O scheduler(elevators) should I use (massive sequencial reads)
7) What is the ideal stripe unit and width (for a RAID device) ?

I will appreciate any options, suggestions, pointers.

Best  Regards.
Milen Kulev

Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing

От
"Milen Kulev"
Дата:
Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Are you using some special XFS options ?
I mean special values for logbuffers bufferiosize , extent  size preallocations etc ?
I will have only 6 big tables and about 20 other relatively small (fact aggregation) tables (~ 10-20 GB each).
I believe it should be a a good idea to use as much contigious chunks of space (from  OS point of view) as possible in
order to make full table scans  as fast as possible.

Best Regards,
Milen Kulev