Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing

От Steve Poe
Тема Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing
Дата
Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing  (Michael Stone <mstone+postgres@mathom.us>)
Список pgsql-performance
Milen,

For the past  year, I have been running odbc-bench on a dual-opteron with 4GB of RAM using a 8GB sample data. I found the performance difference between EXT3, JFS, and XFS  is +/- 5-8%. This could be written-off as "noise" just for normal server performance flux. If you plan on using the default kernel, ext3 will likely perform best (what I found). When I added my own kernel, ext3 performed fair. What I've had to consider is what does each file system offer me as far as  data integrity goes.

You'll find greater ROI on performance by investing your time in other areas than chasing down a few percentage point (like I have done).  If you could borrow more RAM and/or more discs for your tests,  Testing newer kernels and read-ahead patches may benefit you as well.

Best of luck.

Steve Poe