Обсуждение: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Yves Vindevogel
Дата:
Hi all,

I've got PG 8.0 on Debian sarge set up ...

I want to speed up performance on the system.

The system will run PG, Apache front-end on port 80 and Tomcat /
Cocoon for the webapp.

The webapp is not so heavily used, so we can give the max performance
to the database.

The database has a lot of work to do, we upload files every day.

The current server has 8 databases of around 1 million records.  This
will be more in the future.

There's only one main table, with some smaller tables.  95% of the
records are in that one table.

A lot of updates are done on that table, affecting 10-20% of the
records.

The system has 1 gig of ram.  I could give 512Mb to PG.

Filesystem is ext2, with the -noatime parameter in fstab

Could I get some suggestions in how to configure my buffers, wals,
.... ?

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bien à vous,

Kind regards,

<bold>Yves Vindevogel</bold>

<bold>Implements</bold>

<smaller>

</smaller>Hi all,

I've got PG 8.0 on Debian sarge set up ...
I want to speed up performance on the system.

The system will run PG, Apache front-end on port 80 and Tomcat / Cocoon
for the webapp.
The webapp is not so heavily used, so we can give the max performance
to the database.
The database has a lot of work to do, we upload files every day.
The current server has 8 databases of around 1 million records.  This
will be more in the future.
There's only one main table, with some smaller tables.  95% of the
records are in that one table.
A lot of updates are done on that table, affecting 10-20% of the
records.

The system has 1 gig of ram.  I could give 512Mb to PG.
Filesystem is ext2, with the -noatime parameter in fstab

Could I get some suggestions in how to configure my buffers, wals, ....
?

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Bien à vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

<smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

<italic><x-tad-smaller>

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi.</x-tad-smaller></italic></smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.
Mahatma Ghandi.

Вложения

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Ron Peacetree
Дата:
0= Optimize your schema to be a tight as possible.  Your goal is to give yourself the maximum chance that everything
youwant to work on is in RAM when you need it.
1= Upgrade your RAM to as much as you can possibly strain to afford.  4GB at least.  It's that important.
2= If the _entire_ DB does not fit in RAM after upgrading your RAM, the next step is making sure your HD IO subsystem
isadequate to your needs.
3= Read the various pg tuning docs that are available and Do The Right Thing.
4= If performance is still not acceptable, then it's time to drill down into what specific actions/queries are
problems.
If you get to here and the entire DBMS is still not close to acceptable, your fundamental assumptions have to be
re-examined.

Ron

[...]

Bien � vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ron Peacetree wrote:
> 0= Optimize your schema to be a tight as possible.  Your goal is to give yourself the maximum chance that everything
youwant to work on is in RAM when you need it.
> 1= Upgrade your RAM to as much as you can possibly strain to afford.  4GB at least.  It's that important.
> 2= If the _entire_ DB does not fit in RAM after upgrading your RAM, the next step is making sure your HD IO subsystem
isadequate to your needs.
> 3= Read the various pg tuning docs that are available and Do The Right Thing.
> 4= If performance is still not acceptable, then it's time to drill down into what specific actions/queries are
problems.
> If you get to here and the entire DBMS is still not close to acceptable, your fundamental assumptions have to be
re-examined.

IMHO you should really be examining your queries _before_ you do any
investment in hardware, because later those may prove unnecessary.

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Frank Wiles wrote:

>   Obviously there are systems/datasets/quantities where this won't
>   always work out best, but for the majority of systems out there
>   complicating your schema, maxing your hardware, and THEN tuning
>   is IMHO the wrong approach.

I wasn't suggesting to complicate the schema -- I was actually thinking
in systems where some queries are not using indexes, some queries are
plain wrong, etc.  Buying a very expensive RAID and then noticing that
you just needed to create an index, is going to make somebody feel at
least somewhat stupid.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 17.7", W 73º 14' 26.8"
Y una voz del caos me habló y me dijo

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Frank Wiles
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:43:33 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Frank Wiles wrote:
>
> >   Obviously there are systems/datasets/quantities where this won't
> >   always work out best, but for the majority of systems out there
> >   complicating your schema, maxing your hardware, and THEN tuning
> >   is IMHO the wrong approach.
>
> I wasn't suggesting to complicate the schema -- I was actually
> thinking in systems where some queries are not using indexes, some
> queries are plain wrong, etc.  Buying a very expensive RAID and then
> noticing that you just needed to create an index, is going to make
> somebody feel at least somewhat stupid.

  Sorry I was referring to Ron statement that the first step should
  be to "Optimize your schema to be as tight as possible."

  But I agree, finding out you need an index after spending $$$ on
  extra hardware would be bad.  Especially if you have to explain it
  to the person forking over the $$$! :)

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Frank Wiles
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:07:52 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> IMHO you should really be examining your queries _before_ you do any
> investment in hardware, because later those may prove unnecessary.

  It all really depends on what you're doing.  For some of the systems
  I run, 4 GBs of RAM is *WAY* overkill, RAID 1+0 is overkill, etc.

  In general I would slightly change the "order of operations" from:

  1) Buy tons of RAM
  2) Buy lots of disk I/O
  3) Tune your conf
  4) Examine your queries

  1) Tune your conf
  2) Spend a few minutes examining your queries
  3) Buy as much RAM as you can afford
  4) Buy as much disk I/O as you can
  5) Do in depth tuning of your queries/conf

  Personally I avoid planning my schema around my performance at
  the start.  I just try to represent the data in a sensible,
  normalized way.  While I'm sure I sub-consciously make decisions
  based on performance considerations early on, I don't do any major
  schema overhauls until I find I can't get the performance I need
  via tuning.

  Obviously there are systems/datasets/quantities where this won't
  always work out best, but for the majority of systems out there
  complicating your schema, maxing your hardware, and THEN tuning
  is IMHO the wrong approach.

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Ron Peacetree
Дата:
The point Gentlemen, was that Good Architecture is King.  That's what I was trying to emphasize by calling proper DB
architecturestep 0.  All other things being equal (and they usually aren't, this sort of stuff is _very_ context
dependent),the more of your critical schema that you can fit into RAM during normal operation the better.

...and it all starts with proper DB design.  Otherwise, you are quite right in stating that you risk wasting time,
effort,and HW.

Ron

> IMHO you should really be examining your queries _before_ you do any
> investment in hardware, because later those may prove unnecessary.

  It all really depends on what you're doing.  For some of the systems
  I run, 4 GBs of RAM is *WAY* overkill, RAID 1+0 is overkill, etc.

  In general I would slightly change the "order of operations" from:

  1) Buy tons of RAM
  2) Buy lots of disk I/O
  3) Tune your conf
  4) Examine your queries

  1) Tune your conf
  2) Spend a few minutes examining your queries
  3) Buy as much RAM as you can afford
  4) Buy as much disk I/O as you can
  5) Do in depth tuning of your queries/conf

  Personally I avoid planning my schema around my performance at
  the start.  I just try to represent the data in a sensible,
  normalized way.  While I'm sure I sub-consciously make decisions
  based on performance considerations early on, I don't do any major
  schema overhauls until I find I can't get the performance I need
  via tuning.

  Obviously there are systems/datasets/quantities where this won't
  always work out best, but for the majority of systems out there
  complicating your schema, maxing your hardware, and THEN tuning
  is IMHO the wrong approach.

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 22:20, Ron Peacetree wrote:
> The point Gentlemen, was that Good Architecture is King.  That's what I was trying to emphasize by calling proper DB
architecturestep 0.  All other things being equal (and they usually aren't, this sort of stuff is _very_ context
dependent),the more of your critical schema that you can fit into RAM during normal operation the better.

> ...and it all starts with proper DB design.  Otherwise, you are quite right in stating that you risk wasting time,
effort,and HW.

Very valid point.  It's the reason, in my last job, we had a mainline
server with dual 2800MHz CPUs and a big RAID array.

And our development, build and test system was a Dual Pentium Pro 200
with 256 Meg of ram.  You notice slow queries real fast on such a box.

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Frank Wiles
Дата:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:16:10 -0600
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:

> Very valid point.  It's the reason, in my last job, we had a mainline
> server with dual 2800MHz CPUs and a big RAID array.
>
> And our development, build and test system was a Dual Pentium Pro 200
> with 256 Meg of ram.  You notice slow queries real fast on such a box.

  I know several people who use this development method.  It can
  sometimes lead to premature optimizations, but overall I think it is
  a great way to work.

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
> The point Gentlemen, was that Good Architecture is King.  That's what
> was trying to emphasize by calling proper DB architecture step 0.  All
> other things being equal (and they usually aren't, this sort of stuff
is
> _very_ context dependent), the more of your critical schema that you
can
> fit into RAM during normal operation the better.
>
> ...and it all starts with proper DB design.  Otherwise, you are quite
> right in stating that you risk wasting time, effort, and HW.
>
> Ron

+1!

I answer lots of question on this list that are in the form of 'query x
is running to slow'.  Often, the first thing that pops in my mind is
'why are you running query x in the first place?'

The #1 indicator that something is not right is 'distinct' clause.
Distinct (and its evil cousin, union) are often brought in to address
problems.

The human brain is the best optimizer.  Even on old hardware the server
can handle a *lot* of data.  It's just about where we add
inefficiency...lousy database designs lead to lousy queries or (even
worse) extra application code.

Merlin

Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 09:25, Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:16:10 -0600
> Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
>
> > Very valid point.  It's the reason, in my last job, we had a mainline
> > server with dual 2800MHz CPUs and a big RAID array.
> >
> > And our development, build and test system was a Dual Pentium Pro 200
> > with 256 Meg of ram.  You notice slow queries real fast on such a box.
>
>   I know several people who use this development method.  It can
>   sometimes lead to premature optimizations, but overall I think it is
>   a great way to work.

Hehe.  Yeah, you get used to things running a bit slower pretty
quickly.  Keep in mind though, that the test box is likely only
supporting one single application at a time, whereas the production
server may be running dozens or even hundreds of apps, so it's important
to catch performance issues before they get to production.

Plus, the Dual PPRo 200 WAS running a decent RAID array, even if it was
a linux kernel software RAID and not hardware.  But it was on 8 9
gigabyte SCSI drives, so it was quite fast for reads.

In actuality, a lot of the folks developed their code on their own
workstations (generally 1+GHz machines with 1G or more of ram) then had
to move them over to the ppro 200 for testing and acceptance.  So that
kind of helps stop the premature optimizations.  We were mainly looking
to catch stupidity before it got to production.