Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От Yves Vindevogel
Тема Some help on buffers and other performance tricks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi all,

I've got PG 8.0 on Debian sarge set up ...

I want to speed up performance on the system.

The system will run PG, Apache front-end on port 80 and Tomcat /
Cocoon for the webapp.

The webapp is not so heavily used, so we can give the max performance
to the database.

The database has a lot of work to do, we upload files every day.

The current server has 8 databases of around 1 million records.  This
will be more in the future.

There's only one main table, with some smaller tables.  95% of the
records are in that one table.

A lot of updates are done on that table, affecting 10-20% of the
records.

The system has 1 gig of ram.  I could give 512Mb to PG.

Filesystem is ext2, with the -noatime parameter in fstab

Could I get some suggestions in how to configure my buffers, wals,
.... ?

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bien à vous,

Kind regards,

<bold>Yves Vindevogel</bold>

<bold>Implements</bold>

<smaller>

</smaller>Hi all,

I've got PG 8.0 on Debian sarge set up ...
I want to speed up performance on the system.

The system will run PG, Apache front-end on port 80 and Tomcat / Cocoon
for the webapp.
The webapp is not so heavily used, so we can give the max performance
to the database.
The database has a lot of work to do, we upload files every day.
The current server has 8 databases of around 1 million records.  This
will be more in the future.
There's only one main table, with some smaller tables.  95% of the
records are in that one table.
A lot of updates are done on that table, affecting 10-20% of the
records.

The system has 1 gig of ram.  I could give 512Mb to PG.
Filesystem is ext2, with the -noatime parameter in fstab

Could I get some suggestions in how to configure my buffers, wals, ....
?

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Bien à vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

<smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

<italic><x-tad-smaller>

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi.</x-tad-smaller></italic></smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.
Mahatma Ghandi.

Вложения