Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От Frank Wiles
Тема Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:43:33 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Frank Wiles wrote:
>
> >   Obviously there are systems/datasets/quantities where this won't
> >   always work out best, but for the majority of systems out there
> >   complicating your schema, maxing your hardware, and THEN tuning
> >   is IMHO the wrong approach.
>
> I wasn't suggesting to complicate the schema -- I was actually
> thinking in systems where some queries are not using indexes, some
> queries are plain wrong, etc.  Buying a very expensive RAID and then
> noticing that you just needed to create an index, is going to make
> somebody feel at least somewhat stupid.

  Sorry I was referring to Ron statement that the first step should
  be to "Optimize your schema to be as tight as possible."

  But I agree, finding out you need an index after spending $$$ on
  extra hardware would be bad.  Especially if you have to explain it
  to the person forking over the $$$! :)

   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org

Сообщение: Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks
Сообщение: Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks