Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 22:20, Ron Peacetree wrote:
> The point Gentlemen, was that Good Architecture is King.  That's what I was trying to emphasize by calling proper DB
architecturestep 0.  All other things being equal (and they usually aren't, this sort of stuff is _very_ context
dependent),the more of your critical schema that you can fit into RAM during normal operation the better.

> ...and it all starts with proper DB design.  Otherwise, you are quite right in stating that you risk wasting time,
effort,and HW.

Very valid point.  It's the reason, in my last job, we had a mainline
server with dual 2800MHz CPUs and a big RAID array.

And our development, build and test system was a Dual Pentium Pro 200
with 256 Meg of ram.  You notice slow queries real fast on such a box.

От: "Steinar H. Gunderson"
Сообщение: Re: WAL sync behaviour
От: Frank Wiles
Сообщение: Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks