Обсуждение: Caching by Postgres

Caching by Postgres

От
gokulnathbabu manoharan
Дата:
Hi all,

I like to know the caching policies of Postgresql.
What parameter in the postgresql.conf affects the
cache size used by the Postgresql?  As far as I have
searched my knowledge of the parameters are

1. shared_buffers - Sets the limit on the amount of
shared memory used.  If I take this is as the cache
size then my performance should increase with the
increase in the size of shared_buffers.  But it seems
it is not the case and my performance actually
decreases with the increase in the shared_buffers.  I
have a RAM size of 32 GB.  The table which I use more
frequently has around 68 million rows.  Can I cache
this entire table in RAM?

2. work_mem - It is the amount of memory used by an
operation.  My guess is once the operation is complete
this is freed and hence has nothing to do with the
caching.

3. effective_cache_size - The parameter used by the
query planner and has nothing to do with the actual
caching.

So kindly help me in pointing me to the correct
parameter to set.

It will be great if you can point me to the docs that
explains the implementation of caching in Postgresql
which will help me in understanding things much
clearly.

Thanks in advance.
Gokul.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
John A Meinel
Дата:
gokulnathbabu manoharan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I like to know the caching policies of Postgresql.
> What parameter in the postgresql.conf affects the
> cache size used by the Postgresql?  As far as I have
> searched my knowledge of the parameters are

In general, you don't. The OS handles caching based on file usage.
So if you are using the files, the OS should cache them. Just like it
does with any other program.

> 1. shared_buffers - Sets the limit on the amount of
> shared memory used.  If I take this is as the cache
> size then my performance should increase with the
> increase in the size of shared_buffers.  But it seems
> it is not the case and my performance actually
> decreases with the increase in the shared_buffers.  I
> have a RAM size of 32 GB.  The table which I use more
> frequently has around 68 million rows.  Can I cache
> this entire table in RAM?

There is a portion of this which is used for caching. But I believe
before 8.1 there was code that went linearly through all of the
shared_buffers and checked for dirty/clean pages. So there was a
tradeoff that the bigger you make it, the longer that search goes. So
you got diminishing returns, generally around 10k shared buffers.
I think it is better in 8.1, but if the OS is going to cache it anyway
(since it does), then having a Postgres cache is just wasting memory,
and not letting cache as much.

So I'm guessing that with 8.1 there would be 2 sweet spots. Low
shared_buffers (<= 10k), and really high shared buffers (like all of
available ram).
But because postgres has been tuned for the former I would stick with it
(I don't think shared_buffers can go >2GB, but that might just be
work_mem/maintenance_work_mem).

> 2. work_mem - It is the amount of memory used by an
> operation.  My guess is once the operation is complete
> this is freed and hence has nothing to do with the
> caching.
>
> 3. effective_cache_size - The parameter used by the
> query planner and has nothing to do with the actual
> caching.

This is important from a planner issue. Because the planner can then
expect that the OS is doing its job and caching the tables, so index
scans are cheaper than they would be otherwise.

John
=:->

> So kindly help me in pointing me to the correct
> parameter to set.
>
> It will be great if you can point me to the docs that
> explains the implementation of caching in Postgresql
> which will help me in understanding things much
> clearly.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Gokul.

Вложения

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:10:45 -0700,
  gokulnathbabu manoharan <gokulnathbabu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I like to know the caching policies of Postgresql.
> What parameter in the postgresql.conf affects the
> cache size used by the Postgresql?  As far as I have
> searched my knowledge of the parameters are

The main policy is to let the OS do most of the caching.

> 1. shared_buffers - Sets the limit on the amount of
> shared memory used.  If I take this is as the cache
> size then my performance should increase with the
> increase in the size of shared_buffers.  But it seems
> it is not the case and my performance actually
> decreases with the increase in the shared_buffers.  I
> have a RAM size of 32 GB.  The table which I use more
> frequently has around 68 million rows.  Can I cache
> this entire table in RAM?

Using extermely large values for shared buffers is known to be a performance
loss for Postgres. Some improvements were made for 8.0 and more for 8.1.

The OS will cache frequently used data from files for you. So if you are using
that table a lot and the rows aren't too wide, it should mostly be cached
for you by the OS.

> 2. work_mem - It is the amount of memory used by an
> operation.  My guess is once the operation is complete
> this is freed and hence has nothing to do with the
> caching.

This is used for sorts and some other things.

> 3. effective_cache_size - The parameter used by the
> query planner and has nothing to do with the actual
> caching.

You are supposed to use this to give the planner an idea about how much
space the OS will using for caching on behalf of Posgres.

> So kindly help me in pointing me to the correct
> parameter to set.
>
> It will be great if you can point me to the docs that
> explains the implementation of caching in Postgresql
> which will help me in understanding things much
> clearly.

You probably want to read the following:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Frank Wiles
Дата:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
gokulnathbabu manoharan <gokulnathbabu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I like to know the caching policies of Postgresql.
> What parameter in the postgresql.conf affects the
> cache size used by the Postgresql?  As far as I have
> searched my knowledge of the parameters are
>
> 1. shared_buffers - Sets the limit on the amount of
> shared memory used.  If I take this is as the cache
> size then my performance should increase with the
> increase in the size of shared_buffers.  But it seems
> it is not the case and my performance actually
> decreases with the increase in the shared_buffers.  I
> have a RAM size of 32 GB.  The table which I use more
> frequently has around 68 million rows.  Can I cache
> this entire table in RAM?

  increasing shared_buffers to a point helps, but after
  a certain threshold it can actually degree performance.

> 2. work_mem - It is the amount of memory used by an
> operation.  My guess is once the operation is complete
> this is freed and hence has nothing to do with the
> caching.

  This is the amount of memory used for things like sorts and
  order bys on a per backend process basis.

> 3. effective_cache_size - The parameter used by the
> query planner and has nothing to do with the actual
> caching.

  The instructs the query planner on how large the operating
  system's disk cache is.  There isn't a built in cache, PostgreSQL
  relies on the operating system to cache the on disk information
  based on how often it is used.  In most cases this is probably
  more accurate anyway.

  I wrote an article on PostgreSQL performance tuning that has
  links to several other related sites, you can find it here:

  http://www.revsys.com/writings/postgresql-performance.html

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
John,

> So I'm guessing that with 8.1 there would be 2 sweet spots. Low
> shared_buffers (<= 10k), and really high shared buffers (like all of
> available ram).
> But because postgres has been tuned for the former I would stick with it
> (I don't think shared_buffers can go >2GB, but that might just be
> work_mem/maintenance_work_mem).

I'll be testing this as soon as we get some issues with the 64bit
shared_buffer patch worked out.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Donald Courtney
Дата:
I mean well with this comment -
This whole issue of data caching is  a troubling issue with postreSQL
in that even if you ran postgreSQL on a 64 bit address space
with larger number of CPUs you won't see much of a scale up
and possibly even a drop.   I am not alone in having the *expectation*
that a database should have some cache size parameter and
the option to skip the file system.   If I use oracle, sybase, mysql
and maxdb they all have the ability to size a data cache and move
to 64 bits.

Is this a crazy idea - that a project be started to get this adopted?
Is it
too big and structural to contemplate?

 From one who likes postgreSQL
dc

Frank Wiles wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
>gokulnathbabu manoharan <gokulnathbabu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I like to know the caching policies of Postgresql.
>>What parameter in the postgresql.conf affects the
>>cache size used by the Postgresql?  As far as I have
>>searched my knowledge of the parameters are
>>
>>1. shared_buffers - Sets the limit on the amount of
>>shared memory used.  If I take this is as the cache
>>size then my performance should increase with the
>>increase in the size of shared_buffers.  But it seems
>>it is not the case and my performance actually
>>decreases with the increase in the shared_buffers.  I
>>have a RAM size of 32 GB.  The table which I use more
>>frequently has around 68 million rows.  Can I cache
>>this entire table in RAM?
>>

>  increasing shared_buffers to a point helps, but after
>  a certain threshold it can actually degree performance.
>

>>2. work_mem - It is the amount of memory used by an
>>operation.  My guess is once the operation is complete
>>this is freed and hence has nothing to do with the
>>caching.
>>

>  This is the amount of memory used for things like sorts and
>  order bys on a per backend process basis.
>

>>3. effective_cache_size - The parameter used by the
>>query planner and has nothing to do with the actual
>>caching.
>>

>  The instructs the query planner on how large the operating
>  system's disk cache is.  There isn't a built in cache, PostgreSQL
>  relies on the operating system to cache the on disk information
>  based on how often it is used.  In most cases this is probably
>  more accurate anyway.
>
>  I wrote an article on PostgreSQL performance tuning that has
>  links to several other related sites, you can find it here:
>
>  http://www.revsys.com/writings/postgresql-performance.html
>
> ---------------------------------
>   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
>   http://www.wiles.org
> ---------------------------------

>TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>       match

Re: Caching by Postgres

Дата:
Donald Courtney <Donald.Courtney@Sun.COM> writes:
> I am not alone in having the *expectation* that a database should have
> some cache size parameter and the option to skip the file system.  If
> I use oracle, sybase, mysql and maxdb they all have the ability to
> size a data cache and move to 64 bits.

And you're not alone in holding that opinion despite having no shred
of evidence that it's worthwhile expanding the cache that far.

However, since we've gotten tired of hearing this FUD over and over,
8.1 will have the ability to set shared_buffers as high as you want.
I expect next we'll be hearing from people complaining that they
set shared_buffers to use all of RAM and performance went into the
tank ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Donald,

> This whole issue of data caching is  a troubling issue with postreSQL
> in that even if you ran postgreSQL on a 64 bit address space
> with larger number of CPUs you won't see much of a scale up
> and possibly even a drop.

Since when?   Barring the context switch bug, you're not going to get a
drop with more processors/more RAM.

You may fail to get any gain, though.  If your database is only 100MB in
size, having 11G of cache space isn't going to help you much over having
only 1G.

> I am not alone in having the *expectation*
> that a database should have some cache size parameter and
> the option to skip the file system.

Sure, because that's the conventional wisdom, as writ by Oracle.  However,
this comes with substantial code maintenance costs and portability
limitations which have to be measured against any gain in performance.

> If I use oracle, sybase, mysql
> and maxdb they all have the ability to size a data cache and move
> to 64 bits.

And yet, we regularly outperform Sybase and MySQL on heavy OLTP loads on
commodity x86 hardware.    So apparently DB caching isn't everything.  ;-)

I'm not saying that it's not worth testing larger database caches -- even
taking over most of RAM -- on high-speed systems.   In fact, I'm working
on doing that kind of test now.  However, barring test results, we can't
assume that taking over RAM and the FS cache would have a substantial
performance benefit; that remains to be shown.

The other thing is that we've had, and continue to have, low-hanging fruit
which have a clear and measurable effect on performance and are fixable
without bloating the PG code.  Some of these issues (COPY path, context
switching, locks, GiST concurrency, some aggregates) have been addressed
in the 8.1 code; some remain to be addressed (sorts, disk spill, 64-bit
sort mem, other aggregates, index-only access, etc.).   Why tackle a huge,
250-hour project which could fail when a 20-hour patch is more likely to
provide the same performance benefit?

We have the same discussion (annually) about mmap.  Using mmap *might*
provide us with a huge performance boost.  However, it would *definitely*
require 300hours (or more) of programmer time to test properly, and might
not benefit us at all.

Of course, if *you* want to work on large database cache improvements, be
my guest ... it's an open source project!  Submit your patches!  I'll be
happy to test them.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:41:39PM -0400, Donald Courtney wrote:
> I mean well with this comment -
> This whole issue of data caching is  a troubling issue with postreSQL
> in that even if you ran postgreSQL on a 64 bit address space
> with larger number of CPUs you won't see much of a scale up
> and possibly even a drop.   I am not alone in having the *expectation*
> that a database should have some cache size parameter and
> the option to skip the file system.   If I use oracle, sybase, mysql
> and maxdb they all have the ability to size a data cache and move
> to 64 bits.
> Is this a crazy idea - that a project be started to get this adopted?
> Is it
> too big and structural to contemplate?
> From one who likes postgreSQL

Hey Donald. :-)

This is an operating system issue, not a PostgreSQL issue. If you have
more physical memory than fits in 32-bit addresses, and your operating
system isn't using this extra memory to cache files (or anything
else), than your OS is what I would consider to be broken (or at the
very least, not designed for a 64-bit host).

The only questions that can be asked here is - 1) can PostgreSQL do a
better job than the OS at best utilizing system RAM, and 2) if so, is
the net gain worth the added complexity to PostgreSQL?

I happen to think that yes, PostgreSQL can do a better job than most
OS's, as it has better information to make decisions as to which pages
are worth keeping, and which are not, but no, it isn't worth the
effort until PostgreSQL developers start running out of things to do.

Buy your 64-bit platforms - but if page caching is your concern, 1)
ensure that you really have more physical memory than can fit in 32
bits, and 2) ensure that your operating system is comfortable caching
data pages from files above the 32-bit mark.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Michael Stone
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:38:04PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>which have a clear and measurable effect on performance and are fixable
>without bloating the PG code.  Some of these issues (COPY path, context
>switching

Does that include increasing the size of read/write blocks? I've noticed
that with a large enough table it takes a while to do a sequential scan,
even if it's cached; I wonder if the fact that it takes a million
read(2) calls to get through an 8G table is part of that.

Mike Stone

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
Donald.Courtney@Sun.COM (Donald Courtney) writes:
> I mean well with this comment -
> This whole issue of data caching is  a troubling issue with postreSQL
> in that even if you ran postgreSQL on a 64 bit address space
> with larger number of CPUs you won't see much of a scale up
> and possibly even a drop.   I am not alone in having the *expectation*
> that a database should have some cache size parameter and
> the option to skip the file system.   If I use oracle, sybase, mysql
> and maxdb they all have the ability to size a data cache and move
> to 64 bits.
>
> Is this a crazy idea - that a project be started to get this
> adopted?  Is it too big and structural to contemplate?

This project amounts to "Implement Your Own Operating System," because
it requires that the DBMS take over the things that operating systems
normally do, like:
 a) Managing access to filesystems and
 b) Managing memory

The world is already sufficiently filled up with numerous variations
of Linux, BSD 4.4 Lite, and UNIX System V; I can't see justification for
reinventing this wheel still again.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
mstone+postgres@mathom.us (Michael Stone) writes:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:38:04PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> which have a clear and measurable effect on performance and are
>> fixable without bloating the PG code.  Some of these issues (COPY
>> path, context switching
>
> Does that include increasing the size of read/write blocks? I've
> noticed that with a large enough table it takes a while to do a
> sequential scan, even if it's cached; I wonder if the fact that it
> takes a million read(2) calls to get through an 8G table is part of
> that.

But behind the scenes, the OS is still going to have to evaluate the
"is this in cache?" question for each and every one of those pages.
(Assuming the kernel's page size is 8K; if it's smaller, the number of
evaluations will be even higher...)

Grouping the read(2) calls together isn't going to have any impact on
_that_ evaluation.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
William Yu
Дата:
Donald Courtney wrote:
> in that even if you ran postgreSQL on a 64 bit address space
> with larger number of CPUs you won't see much of a scale up
> and possibly even a drop.   I am not alone in having the *expectation*

What's your basis for believing this is the case? Why would PostgreSQL's
dependence on the OS's caching/filesystem limit scalability? I know when
I went from 32bit to 64bit Linux, I got *HUGE* increases in performance
using the same amount of memory. And when I went from 2x1P to 2xDC, my
average cpu usage % dropped almost in half.

> that a database should have some cache size parameter and
> the option to skip the file system.   If I use oracle, sybase, mysql
> and maxdb they all have the ability to size a data cache and move
> to 64 bits.

Josh Berkus has already mentioned this as conventional wisdom as written
by Oracle. This may also be legacy wisdom. Oracle/Sybase/etc has been
around for a long time; it was probably a clear performance win way back
when. Nowadays with how far open-source OS's have advanced, I'd take it
with a grain of salt and do my own performance analysis. I suspect the
big vendors wouldn't change their stance even if they knew it was no
longer true due to the support hassles.

My personal experience with PostgreSQL. Dropping shared buffers from 2GB
to 750MB improved performance on my OLTP DB a good 25%. Going down from
750MB to 150MB was another +10%.

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
PFC
Дата:
> Josh Berkus has already mentioned this as conventional wisdom as written
> by Oracle. This may also be legacy wisdom. Oracle/Sybase/etc has been
> around for a long time; it was probably a clear performance win way back
> when. Nowadays with how far open-source OS's have advanced, I'd take it
> with a grain of salt and do my own performance analysis. I suspect the
> big vendors wouldn't change their stance even if they knew it was no
> longer true due to the support hassles.

    Reinvent a filesystem... that would be suicidal.

    Now, Hans Reiser has expressed interest on the ReiserFS list in tweaking
his Reiser4 especially for Postgres. In his own words, he wants a "Killer
app for reiser4". Reiser4 will offser transactional semantics via a
special reiser4 syscall, so it might be possible, with a minimum of
changes to postgres (ie maybe just another sync mode besides fsync,
fdatasync et al) to use this. Other interesting details were exposed on
the reiser list, too (ie. a transactional filesystems can give ACID
guarantees to postgres without the need for fsync()).

    Very interesting.

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
PFC,

>         Now, Hans Reiser has expressed interest on the ReiserFS list in
> tweaking   his Reiser4 especially for Postgres. In his own words, he wants
> a "Killer app for reiser4". Reiser4 will offser transactional semantics via
> a special reiser4 syscall, so it might be possible, with a minimum of
> changes to postgres (ie maybe just another sync mode besides fsync,
> fdatasync et al) to use this. Other interesting details were exposed on the
> reiser list, too (ie. a transactional filesystems can give ACID guarantees
> to postgres without the need for fsync()).

Really?  Cool, I'd like to see that.   Could you follow up with Hans?  Or give
me his e-mail?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, PFC wrote:

> > Josh Berkus has already mentioned this as conventional wisdom as written
> > by Oracle. This may also be legacy wisdom. Oracle/Sybase/etc has been
> > around for a long time; it was probably a clear performance win way back
> > when. Nowadays with how far open-source OS's have advanced, I'd take it
> > with a grain of salt and do my own performance analysis. I suspect the
> > big vendors wouldn't change their stance even if they knew it was no
> > longer true due to the support hassles.
>
>     Reinvent a filesystem... that would be suicidal.
>
>     Now, Hans Reiser has expressed interest on the ReiserFS list in tweaking
> his Reiser4 especially for Postgres. In his own words, he wants a "Killer
> app for reiser4". Reiser4 will offser transactional semantics via a
> special reiser4 syscall, so it might be possible, with a minimum of
> changes to postgres (ie maybe just another sync mode besides fsync,
> fdatasync et al) to use this. Other interesting details were exposed on
> the reiser list, too (ie. a transactional filesystems can give ACID
> guarantees to postgres without the need for fsync()).
>
>     Very interesting.

Ummm... I don't see anything here which will be a win for Postgres. The
transactional semantics we're interested in are fairly complex:

1) Modifications to multiple objects can become visible to the system
atomically
2) On error, a series of modifications which had been grouped together
within a transaction can be rolled back
3) Using object version information, determine which version of which
object is visible to a given session
4) Using version information and locking, detect and resolve read/write
and write/write conflicts

Now, I can see a file system offering (1) and (2). But a file system that
can allow people to do (3) and (4) would require that we make *major*
modifications to how postgresql is implemented. More over, it would be for
no gain, since we've already written a system which can do it.

A filesystem could, in theory, help us by providing an API which allows us
to tell the file system either: the way we'd like it to read ahead, the
fact that we don't want it to read ahead or the way we'd like it to cache
(or not cache) data. The thing is, most OSes provide interfaces to do this
already and we make only little use of them (I'm think of
madv_sequential(), madv_random(), POSIX fadvise(), the various flags to
open() which AIX, HPUX, Solaris provide).

Gavin

Re: Caching by Postgres

Дата:
Gavin Sherry <swm@alcove.com.au> writes:
> A filesystem could, in theory, help us by providing an API which allows us
> to tell the file system either: the way we'd like it to read ahead, the
> fact that we don't want it to read ahead or the way we'd like it to cache
> (or not cache) data. The thing is, most OSes provide interfaces to do this
> already and we make only little use of them (I'm think of
> madv_sequential(), madv_random(), POSIX fadvise(), the various flags to
> open() which AIX, HPUX, Solaris provide).

Yeah ... the main reason we've not spent too much time on that sort of
stuff is that *it's not portable*.  And with all due respect to Hans,
special tweaks for one filesystem are even less interesting than special
tweaks for one OS.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm@alcove.com.au> writes:
> > A filesystem could, in theory, help us by providing an API which allows us
> > to tell the file system either: the way we'd like it to read ahead, the
> > fact that we don't want it to read ahead or the way we'd like it to cache
> > (or not cache) data. The thing is, most OSes provide interfaces to do this
> > already and we make only little use of them (I'm think of
> > madv_sequential(), madv_random(), POSIX fadvise(), the various flags to
> > open() which AIX, HPUX, Solaris provide).
>
> Yeah ... the main reason we've not spent too much time on that sort of
> stuff is that *it's not portable*.  And with all due respect to Hans,
> special tweaks for one filesystem are even less interesting than special
> tweaks for one OS.

Right.

As an aside, it seems to me that if there is merit in all this low level
interaction with the file system (not to mention the other platform
specific microoptimisations which come up regularly on the lists) then the
companies currently producing niche commercial releases of PostgreSQL
should be taking advantage of them: if it increases performance, then
there's a reason to buy as opposed to just downloading the OSS version.

Gavin

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Donald Courtney

Great discussion and illuminating for those of us who are still
learning the subtleties of postGres.

William

To be clear -
I built postgreSQL 8.1 64K bit on solaris 10 a few months ago
and side by side with the 32 bit postgreSQL build saw no improvement.
In fact the 64 bit result was slightly lower.

I used  the *same 64 bit S10 OS* for both versions.  I think your
experience makes sense since your change was from 32 to 64 bit Linux.
 From my experiment I am surmising that there will not be any
file/os/buffer-cache
scale up effect on the same OS with postgreSQL 64.

I was testing on a 4 core system in both cases.

William Yu wrote:

> Donald Courtney wrote:
>
>> in that even if you ran postgreSQL on a 64 bit address space
>> with larger number of CPUs you won't see much of a scale up
>> and possibly even a drop.   I am not alone in having the *expectation*
>

> What's your basis for believing this is the case? Why would
> PostgreSQL's dependence on the OS's caching/filesystem limit
> scalability? I know when I went from 32bit to 64bit Linux, I got
> *HUGE* increases in performance using the same amount of memory. And
> when I went from 2x1P to 2xDC, my average cpu usage % dropped almost
> in half.
>
>> that a database should have some cache size parameter and
>> the option to skip the file system.   If I use oracle, sybase, mysql
>> and maxdb they all have the ability to size a data cache and move
>> to 64 bits.
>

> Josh Berkus has already mentioned this as conventional wisdom as
> written by Oracle. This may also be legacy wisdom. Oracle/Sybase/etc
> has been around for a long time; it was probably a clear performance
> win way back when. Nowadays with how far open-source OS's have
> advanced, I'd take it with a grain of salt and do my own performance
> analysis. I suspect the big vendors wouldn't change their stance even
> if they knew it was no longer true due to the support hassles.
>
> My personal experience with PostgreSQL. Dropping shared buffers from
> 2GB to 750MB improved performance on my OLTP DB a good 25%. Going down
> from 750MB to 150MB was another +10%.

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Donald Courtney (Donald.Courtney@sun.com) wrote:
> To be clear -
> I built postgreSQL 8.1 64K bit on solaris 10 a few months ago
> and side by side with the 32 bit postgreSQL build saw no improvement.
> In fact the 64 bit result was slightly lower.

That makes some sense actually.  It really depends on what you're doing
alot of the time.  On a Sparc system you're not likely to get much of a
speed improvment by going to 64bit (unless, maybe, you're doing lots of
intensive 64bit math ops).  You'll have larger pointers and whatnot
though.

> I used  the *same 64 bit S10 OS* for both versions.  I think your
> experience makes sense since your change was from 32 to 64 bit Linux.

32bit to 64bit Linux on a Sparc platform really shouldn't affect
performance all that much (I'd expect it to be similar to 32bit to 64bit
under Solaris actually, at least in terms of the performance
difference).  32bit to 64bit Linux on an amd64 platform is another
matter entirely though, but not because of the number of bits involved.

Under amd64, 32bit is limited to 32bit on i386 which has a limited
number of registers and whatnot.  Under amd64/64bit you get more
registers (and I think some other niceities) which will improve
performance.  That's not a 32bit vs. 64bit thing, that's i386 vs. native
amd64.  It's really mainly an oddity of the platform.  On a mips system
I'd expect the same kind of performance difference between 32bit and
64bit as you'd see on a sparc platform.

    Enjoy,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
PFC
Дата:
> Really?  Cool, I'd like to see that.   Could you follow up with Hans?
> Or give
> me his e-mail?

    You can subscribe to the Reiser mailinglist on namesys.com or :
    reiser@namesys.com

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:21:12AM -0400, Donald Courtney wrote:
> I built postgreSQL 8.1 64K bit on solaris 10 a few months ago
> and side by side with the 32 bit postgreSQL build saw no improvement.
> In fact the 64 bit result was slightly lower.

I've had this sort of argument with a friend of mine who works at a
retail computer sales company who always tries to pitch 64-bit
platforms to me (I don't have one yet).

There are a few issues in here that are hard to properly detach to
allow for a fair comparison.

The first, to always remember - is that the move from 64-bits to
32-bits doesn't come for free. In a real 64-bit system with a
64-bit operating system, and 64-bit applications, pointers are
now double their 32-bit size. This means more bytes to copy around
memory, and in an extreme case, has the potential to approach
halfing both the memory latency to access many such pointers from
RAM, and half the effective amount of RAM. In real world cases,
not everything is a pointer, so this sort of performance degradation
is doubtful - but it is something to keep in mind.

of things, they've increased the bandwidth on the motherboard, and
allowed for faster memory to be connected to the motherboard. They've
increased the complexity of the chip, to allow 64-bit register
operations to be equivalent in speed to 32-bit register operations.
I have no idea what else they've done... :-)

So, it may be difficult to properly compare a 32-bit system to a
64-bit system. Even if the Ghz on the chip appears equal, it isn't
the same chip, and unless it is the exact same make, product and
version of the motherboard, it may not be a fair compairson. Turning
support for 32-bit on or off, and using a kernel that is only 32-bit
may give good comparisons - but with the above explanation, I would
expect the 32-bit application + kernel to out-perform the 64-bit
application.

So then we move on to what 64-bit is really useful for. Obviously,
there is the arithmetic. If you were previously doing 64-bit
arithmetic through software, you will notice an immediate speed
improvement when doing it through hardware instead. If you have
a program that is scanning memory in any way, it may benefit from
64-bit instructions (for example - copying data 64-bit words at
a time instead of 32-bit words at a time). PostgreSQL might benefit
slightly from either of these, slightly balancing the performance
degradation of using more memory to store the pointers, and more
memory bandwidth the access the pointers.

The real benefit of 64-bit is address space. From the kernel
perspective, it means that more programs, or bigger programs can run
at once. From the application perspective, it means your application
can use more than 32-bits of address space. For programs that make
extensive use of mmap(), this can be a necessity. They are mapping
very large files into their own address space. This isn't a
performance boost, as much as it is a 'you can't do it', if the
files mmap()'ed at the same time, will not fit within 32-bits of
address space. This also becomes, potentially, a performance
degradation, as the system is now having to manage applications
that have very large page tables. Page faults may become
expensive.

PostgreSQL uses read(), instead of mmap(), and uses <2 Gbyte files.
PostgreSQL doesn't require the additional address space for normal
operation.

If, however, you happen to have a very large amount of physical memory
- more memory than is supported by a 32-bit system, but is supported
by your 64-bit system, then the operating system should be able to use
this additional physical memory to cache file system data pages, which
will benefit PostgreSQL if used with tables that are larger than the
memory supported by your 32-bit system, and which have queries which
require more pages than the memory supported by your 32-bit system to
be frequently accessed. If you have a huge database, with many clients
accessing the data, this would be a definate yes. With anything less,
it is a maybe, or a probably not.

I've been looking at switching to 64-bit, mostly to benefit from the
better motherboard bandwidth, and just to play around. I'm not
expecting to require the 64-bit instructions.

Hope this helps,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
William Yu
Дата:
Donald Courtney wrote:
> I built postgreSQL 8.1 64K bit on solaris 10 a few months ago
> and side by side with the 32 bit postgreSQL build saw no improvement. In
> fact the 64 bit result was slightly lower.

I'm not surprised 32-bit binaries running on a 64-bit OS would be faster
than 64-bit/64-bit. 64-bit isn't some magical wand you wave and it's all
ok. Programs compiled as 64-bit will only run faster if (1) you need
64-bit address space and you've been using ugly hacks like PAE to get
access to memory > 2GB or (2) you need native 64-bit data types and
you've been using ugly hacks to piece 32-bit ints together (example,
encryption/compression). In most cases, 64-bit will run slightly slower
due to extra overhead of using larger datatypes.

Since PostgreSQL hands off the majority of memory management/data
caching to the OS, only the OS needs to be 64-bit to reap the benefits
of better memory management. Since Postgres *ALREADY* reaps the 64-bit
benefit, I'm not sure how the argument moving caching/mm/fs into
Postgres would apply. Yes there's the point about possibly implementing
better/smarter/more appropriate caching algorithms but that has nothing
to do with 64-bit.

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Alan Stange
Дата:
mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> So then we move on to what 64-bit is really useful for. Obviously,
> there is the arithmetic. If you were previously doing 64-bit
> arithmetic through software, you will notice an immediate speed
> improvement when doing it through hardware instead. If you have
> a program that is scanning memory in any way, it may benefit from
> 64-bit instructions (for example - copying data 64-bit words at
> a time instead of 32-bit words at a time). PostgreSQL might benefit
> slightly from either of these, slightly balancing the performance
> degradation of using more memory to store the pointers, and more
> memory bandwidth the access the pointers.

At least on Sparc processors, v8 and newer, any double precision math
(including longs) is performed with a single instruction, just like for
a 32 bit datum.  Loads and stores of 8 byte datums are also handled via
a single instruction.   The urban myth that 64bit math is
different/better on a 64 bit processor is just that;  yes, some lower
end processors would emulate/trap those instructions but that an
implementation detail, not architecture.    I believe that this is all
true for other RISC processors as well.

The 64bit API on UltraSparcs does bring along some extra FP registers IIRC.

> If, however, you happen to have a very large amount of physical memory
> - more memory than is supported by a 32-bit system, but is supported
> by your 64-bit system, then the operating system should be able to use
> this additional physical memory to cache file system data pages, which
> will benefit PostgreSQL if used with tables that are larger than the
> memory supported by your 32-bit system, and which have queries which
> require more pages than the memory supported by your 32-bit system to
> be frequently accessed. If you have a huge database, with many clients
> accessing the data, this would be a definate yes. With anything less,
> it is a maybe, or a probably not.

Solaris, at least, provided support for far more than 4GB of physical
memory on 32 bit kernels.  A newer 64 bit kernel might be more
efficient, but that's just because the time was taken to support large
page sizes and more efficient data structures.  It's nothing intrinsic
to a 32 vs 64 bit kernel.

-- Alan

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:47:09PM -0400, Alan Stange wrote:
> At least on Sparc processors, v8 and newer, any double precision math
> (including longs) is performed with a single instruction, just like for
> a 32 bit datum.  Loads and stores of 8 byte datums are also handled via
> a single instruction.   The urban myth that 64bit math is
> different/better on a 64 bit processor is just that;  yes, some lower
> end processors would emulate/trap those instructions but that an
> implementation detail, not architecture.

It isn't an urban myth that 64-bit math on a 64-bit processor is
faster, at least if done using registers. It definately is faster.

It may be an urban myth, though, that most applications perform
a sufficient amount of 64-bit arithmetic to warrant the upgrade.
The benefit may be lost in the noise for an application such as
PostgreSQL. It takes, effectively, infinately longer to access
a disk page, than to increment a 64-bit integer in software.

For the lower end processors that emulate/trap these instructions,
they are being performed in software, along with the overhead of a
trap, and are therefore not a single instruction any more. We are
coming at this from different sides (which is good - perspective is
always good :-) ). From the Intel/AMD side of things, ALL non 64-bit
platforms are 'lower end processors', and don't emulate/trap the
instructions as they didn't exist (at least not yet - who knows what
clever and sufficiently motivated people will do :-) ).

> >If, however, you happen to have a very large amount of physical memory
> >- more memory than is supported by a 32-bit system, but is supported
> >by your 64-bit system, then the operating system should be able to use
> >this additional physical memory to cache file system data pages, which
> >will benefit PostgreSQL if used with tables that are larger than the
> >memory supported by your 32-bit system, and which have queries which
> >require more pages than the memory supported by your 32-bit system to
> >be frequently accessed. If you have a huge database, with many clients
> >accessing the data, this would be a definate yes. With anything less,
> >it is a maybe, or a probably not.
> Solaris, at least, provided support for far more than 4GB of physical
> memory on 32 bit kernels.  A newer 64 bit kernel might be more
> efficient, but that's just because the time was taken to support large
> page sizes and more efficient data structures.  It's nothing intrinsic
> to a 32 vs 64 bit kernel.

Hehe. That's why I was so careful to qualify my statements. :-)

But yeah, I agree. It's a lot of hype, for not much gain (and some
loss, depending on what it is being used for). I only want one because
they're built better, and because I want to play around.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
PFC

> At least on Sparc processors, v8 and newer, any double precision math
> (including longs) is performed with a single instruction, just like for
> a 32 bit datum.  Loads and stores of 8 byte datums are also handled via
> a single instruction.   The urban myth that 64bit math is
> different/better on a 64 bit processor is just that;  yes, some lower
> end processors would emulate/trap those instructions but that an
> implementation detail, not architecture.    I believe that this is all
> true for other RISC processors as well.
>
> The 64bit API on UltraSparcs does bring along some extra FP registers
> IIRC.

    It's very different on x86.
    64-bit x86 like the Opteron has more registers, which are very scarce on
the base x86 (8 I think). This alone is very important. There are other
factors as well.

> Solaris, at least, provided support for far more than 4GB of physical
> memory on 32 bit kernels.  A newer 64 bit kernel might be more
> efficient, but that's just because the time was taken to support large
> page sizes and more efficient data structures.  It's nothing intrinsic
> to a 32 vs 64 bit kernel.

    Well, on a large working set, a processor which can directly address more
than 4GB of memory will be a lot faster than one which can't, and has to
play with the MMU and paging units !

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Alan Stange
Дата:
mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:47:09PM -0400, Alan Stange wrote:
>
>> At least on Sparc processors, v8 and newer, any double precision math
>> (including longs) is performed with a single instruction, just like for
>> a 32 bit datum.  Loads and stores of 8 byte datums are also handled via
>> a single instruction.   The urban myth that 64bit math is
>> different/better on a 64 bit processor is just that;  yes, some lower
>> end processors would emulate/trap those instructions but that an
>> implementation detail, not architecture.
>>

> It isn't an urban myth that 64-bit math on a 64-bit processor is
> faster, at least if done using registers. It definately is faster.

The older 32bit RISC processors do have 64 bit registers, ALUs and
datapaths, and they are marketed toward high end scientific computing,
and you're claiming that such a processor is slower than one which has
the addition of 64 bit pointers added to it?

As an example, an UltraSparc running a 32 bit kernel+application will
have the same double precision floating point performance as one
running  a 64bit kernel+application (except for the additional FP
registers in the 64bit API).  For a function like daxpy, it's the exact
same hardware running the exact same instructions!  So why do you think
the performance would be different?

I believe the IBM Power processors also upped everything to double
precision internally because of some details of the "multiply-add fused"
instructions.  It's been a few years since I taught H&P to CS
undergrads, but I'm fairly sure the details are all the same for MIPS
processors as well.

-- Alan

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Michael Stone
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:34:41PM -0400, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
>It isn't an urban myth that 64-bit math on a 64-bit processor is
>faster, at least if done using registers. It definately is faster.
>It may be an urban myth, though, that most applications perform
>a sufficient amount of 64-bit arithmetic to warrant the upgrade.

The mjor problem is that the definition of "64bit processor" is fuzzy.
The major slowdown of "64bitness" is the necessity of carting around
64 bit pointers. It's not, however, necessary to do 64bit pointers to
get 64bit registers & fast 64 bit ops. E.g., sgi has "n32" & "n64" abi's
which can access exactly the same instruction set & registers, the
difference between them is the size of pointers and whether a "long" is
the same as a "long long". Any discussion of "64 bit processors" is
doomed from the start because people tend to start making implementation
assumptions on top of an already vague concept. Current & future
discussions are tinged by the fact that amd64 *doubles* the number
of registers in 64 bit mode, potentially providing a major speedup--but
one that doesn't really have anything to do with being "64bit".
Pretty much any discussion of 64 bit mode really needs to be a
discussion of a particular abi on a particular processor; talking about
"64 bit processors" abstractly is a waste of time.

Mike Stone

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 05:09:04PM -0400, Alan Stange wrote:
> The older 32bit RISC processors do have 64 bit registers, ALUs and
> datapaths, and they are marketed toward high end scientific computing,
> and you're claiming that such a processor is slower than one which has
> the addition of 64 bit pointers added to it?

No. I'm claiming that you are talking about a hybrid 64/32 processor,
and that this isn't fair to declare that 64-bit arithmetic units don't
provide benefit for 64-bit math. :-)

> As an example, an UltraSparc running a 32 bit kernel+application will
> have the same double precision floating point performance as one
> running  a 64bit kernel+application (except for the additional FP
> registers in the 64bit API).  For a function like daxpy, it's the exact
> same hardware running the exact same instructions!  So why do you think
> the performance would be different?

Double precision floating point isn't 64-bit integer arithmetic. I think
this is all a little besides the point. If you point is that the SPARC
was designed well - I agree with you.

I won't agree that a SPARC with 64-bit registers should be considered
a 32-bit machine. The AMD 64-bit machines come in two forms as well -
the ones that allow you to use the 64-bit integer registers (not
floating point! those are already 80-bit!), and the ones that allow
you to address more memory. I wouldn't consider either to be a 32-bit
CPU, although they will allow 32-bit applications to run fine.

> I believe the IBM Power processors also upped everything to double
> precision internally because of some details of the "multiply-add fused"
> instructions.  It's been a few years since I taught H&P to CS
> undergrads, but I'm fairly sure the details are all the same for MIPS
> processors as well.

Smart design, that obscures the difference - but doesn't make the
difference a myth. If it's already there, then it's already there,
and we can't talk as if it isn't.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 05:09:09PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:34:41PM -0400, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> >It isn't an urban myth that 64-bit math on a 64-bit processor is
> >faster, at least if done using registers. It definately is faster.
> >It may be an urban myth, though, that most applications perform
> >a sufficient amount of 64-bit arithmetic to warrant the upgrade.
> The mjor problem is that the definition of "64bit processor" is fuzzy.
> The major slowdown of "64bitness" is the necessity of carting around
> 64 bit pointers. It's not, however, necessary to do 64bit pointers to
> get 64bit registers & fast 64 bit ops. E.g., sgi has "n32" & "n64" abi's
> which can access exactly the same instruction set & registers, the
> difference between them is the size of pointers and whether a "long" is
> the same as a "long long". Any discussion of "64 bit processors" is
> doomed from the start because people tend to start making implementation
> assumptions on top of an already vague concept. Current & future
> discussions are tinged by the fact that amd64 *doubles* the number
> of registers in 64 bit mode, potentially providing a major speedup--but
> one that doesn't really have anything to do with being "64bit".
> Pretty much any discussion of 64 bit mode really needs to be a
> discussion of a particular abi on a particular processor; talking about
> "64 bit processors" abstractly is a waste of time.

Agree. :-)

As this very thread has shown! Hehe...

There is no way the manufacturers would release two machines, side by
side that could easily show that the 64-bit version is slower for
regular application loads. They added these other things specifically
to mask this... :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Caching by Postgres

От
Thomas Ganss
Дата:
> The first, to always remember - is that the move from 64-bits to
> 32-bits doesn't come for free. In a real 64-bit system with a
> 64-bit operating system, and 64-bit applications, pointers are
> now double their 32-bit size. This means more bytes to copy around
> memory, and in an extreme case, has the potential to approach
> halfing both the memory latency to access many such pointers from
> RAM, and half the effective amount of RAM. In real world cases,
> not everything is a pointer, so this sort of performance degradation
> is doubtful - but it is something to keep in mind.

In addition to the above it lessens the effects of the CPU cache, so be
sure to take the larger cached versions if you have structures needing
to fit into the cache...

my 0.02 EUR

thomas