Re: Caching by Postgres

От PFC
Тема Re: Caching by Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

> At least on Sparc processors, v8 and newer, any double precision math
> (including longs) is performed with a single instruction, just like for
> a 32 bit datum.  Loads and stores of 8 byte datums are also handled via
> a single instruction.   The urban myth that 64bit math is
> different/better on a 64 bit processor is just that;  yes, some lower
> end processors would emulate/trap those instructions but that an
> implementation detail, not architecture.    I believe that this is all
> true for other RISC processors as well.
>
> The 64bit API on UltraSparcs does bring along some extra FP registers
> IIRC.

    It's very different on x86.
    64-bit x86 like the Opteron has more registers, which are very scarce on
the base x86 (8 I think). This alone is very important. There are other
factors as well.

> Solaris, at least, provided support for far more than 4GB of physical
> memory on 32 bit kernels.  A newer 64 bit kernel might be more
> efficient, but that's just because the time was taken to support large
> page sizes and more efficient data structures.  It's nothing intrinsic
> to a 32 vs 64 bit kernel.

    Well, on a large working set, a processor which can directly address more
than 4GB of memory will be a lot faster than one which can't, and has to
play with the MMU and paging units !