Re: Caching by Postgres

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Caching by Postgres
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Caching by Postgres  (gokulnathbabu manoharan, )
 Re: Caching by Postgres  (John A Meinel, )
  Re: Caching by Postgres  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Caching by Postgres  (Bruno Wolff III, )
 Re: Caching by Postgres  (Frank Wiles, )
  Re: Caching by Postgres  (Donald Courtney, )
   Re: Caching by Postgres  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Caching by Postgres  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: Caching by Postgres  (Michael Stone, )
   Re: Caching by Postgres  (, )
   Re: Caching by Postgres  (William Yu, )
    Re: Caching by Postgres  (PFC, )
     Re: Caching by Postgres  (Josh Berkus, )
      Re: Caching by Postgres  (PFC, )
     Re: Caching by Postgres  (Gavin Sherry, )
      Re: Caching by Postgres  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: Caching by Postgres  (Gavin Sherry, )
    Re: Caching by Postgres  (Donald Courtney, )
     Re: Caching by Postgres  (Stephen Frost, )
     Re: Caching by Postgres  (, )
      Re: Caching by Postgres  (Alan Stange, )
       Re: Caching by Postgres  (, )
        Re: Caching by Postgres  (Alan Stange, )
         Re: Caching by Postgres  (, )
        Re: Caching by Postgres  (Michael Stone, )
         Re: Caching by Postgres  (, )
       Re: Caching by Postgres  (PFC, )
      Re: Caching by Postgres  (Thomas Ganss, )
     Re: Caching by Postgres  (William Yu, )
 Re: Caching by Postgres  (Chris Browne, )

Donald Courtney <> writes:
> I am not alone in having the *expectation* that a database should have
> some cache size parameter and the option to skip the file system.  If
> I use oracle, sybase, mysql and maxdb they all have the ability to
> size a data cache and move to 64 bits.

And you're not alone in holding that opinion despite having no shred
of evidence that it's worthwhile expanding the cache that far.

However, since we've gotten tired of hearing this FUD over and over,
8.1 will have the ability to set shared_buffers as high as you want.
I expect next we'll be hearing from people complaining that they
set shared_buffers to use all of RAM and performance went into the
tank ...