Обсуждение: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
Vitaly Belman
Дата:
Hello pgsql-performance,

  I was using the native windows PostgreSQL 7.5Dev and was adviced by
  several people to use an emulated PostgreSQL instead, as it is just
  a beta.

  Well, I give it a whirl and tried both commercial VMWare and the
  freeweare open-source CoLinux, both work under Windows and both
  emulate Linux, that's a quick review of my experience with them, may
  someone in need learn from it.

  This might be not the best place for such a post, but since the
  subject was brought up here, I'll post it here as well. If someone
  thinks it should be posted somewhere else, let me know.

  Installation & Configuration
  ----------------------------

  VMWare:

  On the bright side, the installation went quite smoothly, VMWare
  configured all the network stuff by itself and I had no trouble
  using the net right away. On the grim side, the installation itself
  took ages, compared to the plug & play feel of CoLinux.

  Installing PostgreSQL on VMWare was quite straightforward, just as
  the the PostgreSQL documention goes.

  CoLinux:

  As I said, with CoLinux the installation itself goes very quickly.
  To get Linux running you need to download practically less than 20mb
  which include the distribution (Debian in my case) and the CoLinux
  setup. Configuring CoLinux took a bit longer than VMWare, yet, not
  long as I thought it would take. In fact, it can be very easy if you
  just follow the documention of CoLinux Wiki stuff, there are some
  very easy to follow tutorials there.

  Installing PostgreSQL on CoLinux proved a little more difficult
  (again, Debian), but I posted a quick tutorial that should smooth
  the process: http://www.colinux.org/wiki/index.php/PostgreSQL.

  Performance
  -----------

  This was a totally subjective test (especially since one of the
  participants is in a beta stage), yet, that's what I tested and that's
  what I needed to know.

  To make the test as fair as possible, I did an exact dump of the
  same database. I ran the SQLs (around 10) in the same order on all
  of them and repeated the test several times. I also did an EXPLAIN
  on the queries to make sure all the databases work on the query the
  same way. It wasn't a full test though, I didn't test mass select
  load, nor inserts, nor work under heavy load, nor I tried different
  types of joins. All I did was to run some heavy (in execution time)
  queries. So you should take these "tests" just for what they are.

  That's what I got:

  The native window port performed poorly lagging
  30%-50% behind the VMWare/CoLinux solutions in execution times,
  rather sad, but not unexpected, I guess.

  CoLinux and VMWare give AROUND the same results, yet CoLinux did
  give slightly better performance (I'd say 5%-10%) but with such
  slight improvement and inconsistency I wouldn't count it as much.

  Conclusion
  ----------

  With all that said, VMWare is badly suited for running a database,
  while CoLinux can be run as a service (didn't try it yet though),
  VMWare always sits there, it is slow to go up, slow to go down and
  generally feels like a system hog.

  I'll go on with CoLinux for now and hope it will act as good as it
  looks.

  http://www.vmware.com/
  http://www.colinux.org/

  Thanks to Bryan and Matthew for their advices regarding the emulations.

Regards,
 Vitaly Belman

 ICQ: 1912453
 AIM: VitalyB1984
 MSN: tmdagent@hotmail.com
 Yahoo!: VitalyBe

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Vitaly Belman <vitalib@012.net.il> writes:

>   With all that said, VMWare is badly suited for running a database,
>   while CoLinux can be run as a service (didn't try it yet though),
>   VMWare always sits there, it is slow to go up, slow to go down and
>   generally feels like a system hog.

Uhm, it sounds like you're using VMWare Workstation? VMWare has a range of
different versions including some that are specifically targeted towards
server situations. I think they had the idea that hosting companies would run
hundreds of virtual machines on a server and provide their hosting clients
with a virtual machine to play with.

That said, I'm curious why the emulated servers performed better than the
Native Windows port. My first thought is that they probably aren't syncing
every write to disk so effectively they're defeating the fsyncs, allowing the
host OS to buffer disk writes.

I would be curious to see better stats on things like a pgbench run which
would give some idea of the context switch efficiency, and a large select or
update, which would give some idea of the i/o throughput. Really there's no
excuse for the Windows port to be slower than an emulator. Barring effects
like the disk caching I mentioned, it should far outpace the emulators.

--
greg

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Using VMware myself quite extensively, I wonder what the disk
configuration was that you created for the VM. Where the disks
preallocated and did you make sure that they are contiguous on the NTFS
filesystem? Did you install the VMware tools in the guest operating system?

What did you use to measure the "performance"?

Jan

On 6/1/2004 6:56 PM, Vitaly Belman wrote:

> [...]
>
>   Conclusion
>   ----------
>
>   With all that said, VMWare is badly suited for running a database,
>   while CoLinux can be run as a service (didn't try it yet though),
>   VMWare always sits there, it is slow to go up, slow to go down and
>   generally feels like a system hog.
>
>   I'll go on with CoLinux for now and hope it will act as good as it
>   looks.
>
>   http://www.vmware.com/
>   http://www.colinux.org/
>
>   Thanks to Bryan and Matthew for their advices regarding the emulations.
>
> Regards,
>  Vitaly Belman
>
>  ICQ: 1912453
>  AIM: VitalyB1984
>  MSN: tmdagent@hotmail.com
>  Yahoo!: VitalyBe

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

Дата:
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> That said, I'm curious why the emulated servers performed better than the
> Native Windows port. My first thought is that they probably aren't syncing
> every write to disk so effectively they're defeating the fsyncs, allowing the
> host OS to buffer disk writes.

It would be fairly easy to check this by repeating the comparisons with
fsync = off in postgresql.conf.  A performance number that doesn't
change much would be a smoking gun ;-).

The native port hasn't had any performance testing done on it yet, and
I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a gotcha or two.  Perhaps with the
recent schedule change there will be some time for performance tuning
before we go beta.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
"Matthew Nuzum"
Дата:
I have colinux running on a Fedora Core 1 image.  I have the rhdb 3 (or
PostgreSQL RedHat Edition 3) on it running.  Here are tests with fsync on
and off:
  FSYNC OFF            FSYNC ON        RUN
136.9     142.0    124.5     149.1    1
122.1     126.7    140.1     169.7    2
125.7     148.7    147.4     180.4    3
103.3     136.7    136.8     166.3    4
126.5     146.1    152.3     187.9    5
114.4     133.3    144.8     176.7    6
124.0     146.5    143.3     175.0    7
121.7     166.8    147.8     180.5    8
127.3     151.8    146.7     180.0    9
124.6     143.0    137.2     167.5    10
--------------------------------------
122.7     144.2    142.1     173.3    AVG

I hope those numbers' formatting come through all right.

This computer is an AMD Athlon 900MHz with 448MB Ram running XP Pro SP1
This is using Colinux 0.60 (not the recently released 0.61) and 96MB of RAM
allocated to linux.

The computer was idle but it was running Putty, Excel and Task Manager
during the process.  (I prefer to use Putty to SSH into the virtual computer
than to run the fltk console)

It occurs to me that the fsync may be performed to the linux filesystem, but
this filesystem is merely a file on the windows drive.  Would Windows cache
this file?  It's 2GB in size, so if it did, it would only be able to cache
part of it.

I'd like to run a more difficult test personally.  It seems like this test
goes too fast to be very useful.

If someone would like me to try something more specific, e-mail me right
away and I'll do it.  I must leave my office at 4:15 EDT and will not return
until Friday, although I can do another test on my home computer Thursday.

Matthew Nuzum        | Makers of "Elite Content Management System"
www.followers.net        | View samples of Elite CMS in action
matt@followers.net    | http://www.followers.net/portfolio/

"Leeuw van der, Tim"
Дата:
Hi All,

I think it would actually be interesting to see the performance of the Cygwin version for these same benchmarks, then
we'vecovered all ways to run PostgreSQL on Windows systems. (I expect though that performance of Cygwin-PostgreSQL will
improveconsiderably when an updated version is released that uses Cygwin native IPC instead of the ipc-daemon.)

regards,

--Tim

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:

>That said, I'm curious why the emulated servers performed better than the
>Native Windows port. My first thought is that they probably aren't syncing
>every write to disk so effectively they're defeating the fsyncs, allowing the
>host OS to buffer disk writes.

I havn't tested it, and it's certanly possible. However, please bear in
mind that it is also possible that it just gives better performance.

The reason this may be possible is that the emulation layer gets the CPU
(and other resources) from the OS in bulk, and decides on it's own how
to allocate it to the various processes running within the emulation.
Inparticular, this "on it's own" is done using the stock Linux kernel.
As Postgresql works sufficiently better on Linux than on Windows, this
yields better performance.

Again - speculation only. Someone should defenitely make sure that no
caching takes place where it shouldn't.

As a side note, I have had a chance to talk to Dan Aloni (coLinux
maintainer) about running PostgreSQL on coLinux. He said that he knows
that this particular use is high on people's priority list, but he feels
it is totally unsafe to run a production database on alpha grade
software. Then again, free software projects being what they are, this
is usually what a maintainer would say.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>
> >That said, I'm curious why the emulated servers performed better than
the
> >Native Windows port. My first thought is that they probably aren't
> syncing
> >every write to disk so effectively they're defeating the fsyncs,
allowing
> the
> >host OS to buffer disk writes.
> >

> I havn't tested it, and it's certanly possible. However, please bear
in
> mind that it is also possible that it just gives better performance.
>
> The reason this may be possible is that the emulation layer gets the
CPU
> (and other resources) from the OS in bulk, and decides on it's own how
> to allocate it to the various processes running within the emulation.
> Inparticular, this "on it's own" is done using the stock Linux kernel.
> As Postgresql works sufficiently better on Linux than on Windows, this
> yields better performance.

'better' does not mean 'faster'.  Win32 has a pretty decent journaling
filesytem (ntfs) and a good I/O subsystem which includes IPC.  Process
management is poor compared to newer linux kernels but this is
unimportant except in extreme cases.  Right now the win32 native does
not sync() (but does fsync()).  So, the performance is somewhere between
fsync = off and fsync = on (probably much closer to fsync = on).  It is
reasonable to assume that the win32 port will outperform the unix
versions at many tasks (at the expense of safety) until the new sync()
code is put in.

If tested on the same source base, 40-60% differences can only be coming
from the I/O subsystem.  There are other factors which aren't clear from
this exchange like what version of gcc, etc.

Merlin

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
"Gary Doades"
Дата:
On 2 Jun 2004 at 16:45, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> 'better' does not mean 'faster'.  Win32 has a pretty decent journaling
> filesytem (ntfs) and a good I/O subsystem which includes IPC.  Process
> management is poor compared to newer linux kernels but this is
> unimportant except in extreme cases.  Right now the win32 native does
> not sync() (but does fsync()).  So, the performance is somewhere between
> fsync = off and fsync = on (probably much closer to fsync = on).  It is
> reasonable to assume that the win32 port will outperform the unix
> versions at many tasks (at the expense of safety) until the new sync()
> code is put in.
>
> If tested on the same source base, 40-60% differences can only be coming
> from the I/O subsystem.  There are other factors which aren't clear from
> this exchange like what version of gcc, etc.

Hmm, interesting.

I've been running the Win32 port for a couple of weeks now. Using the
same database as a Linux 2.6 system. Same processor and memory
but different disks.

Linux system has 10K rpm SCSI disks
Windows has 7200 rpm serial ATA disks.

When a lot of IO is involved the performance differences are very mixed
as I would expect. Sometimes Windows wins, sometimes Linux.

BUT, very consistently, when NO IO is involved then the Win32 port is
always around 20% slower than Linux. In cases where the EXPLAIN
ANALYZE results are different I have disregarded. In all the cases that
the EXPLAIN ANALYZE results are the same and no IO is involved the
Win32 port is slower.

Currently I am putting this down to the build/gcc differences. I can't see
why there should be this difference otherwise. (memory
management??)

Regards,
Gary.

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
"Matthew Nuzum" <matt@followers.net> writes:

> I have colinux running on a Fedora Core 1 image.  I have the rhdb 3 (or
> PostgreSQL RedHat Edition 3) on it running.  Here are tests with fsync on
> and off:
>   FSYNC OFF            FSYNC ON        RUN
> 136.9     142.0    124.5     149.1    1
> 122.1     126.7    140.1     169.7    2
> 125.7     148.7    147.4     180.4    3
> 103.3     136.7    136.8     166.3    4
> 126.5     146.1    152.3     187.9    5
> 114.4     133.3    144.8     176.7    6
> 124.0     146.5    143.3     175.0    7
> 121.7     166.8    147.8     180.5    8
> 127.3     151.8    146.7     180.0    9
> 124.6     143.0    137.2     167.5    10
> --------------------------------------
> 122.7     144.2    142.1     173.3    AVG
>
> I hope those numbers' formatting come through all right.

No, they didn't. You used tabs? Are they four space tabs or 8 space tabs?
I assume 4 space tabs, but then what is the meaning of the four columns?
You have two columns for each fsync setting? One's under Windows and one's
under Vmware? Which is which?

> It occurs to me that the fsync may be performed to the linux filesystem, but
> this filesystem is merely a file on the windows drive.  Would Windows cache
> this file?  It's 2GB in size, so if it did, it would only be able to cache
> part of it.

Well VMWare certainly doesn't know that the linux process called fsync. For
all it knows the Linux kernel just schedule the i/o because it felt it was
time.

So the question is how does VMWare alway handle i/o normally. Does it always
handle i/o from the Guest OS synchronously or does it buffer it via the
Host OS's i/o system.

I'm actually not sure which it does, it could be doing something strange. But
does seem most likely that it lets Windows buffer the writes, or does so
itself. It might also depend on whether you're using raw disks or a virtual
disk file. Undoable disks would throw another wrench in the works entirely.

Note that "caching" isn't really the question. It doesn't have to cache the
entire 2GB file or even very much of it. It just has to store the block that
linux wants to write and report success to linux without waiting for the disk
to report success. Linux will then think the file is sync'd to disk and allow
postgres to continue with the next transaction without actually waiting for
the physical disk to spin around to the right place and the head to seek and
perform the write.

--
greg

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От
Matthew Nuzum
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 17:39, Greg Stark wrote:
> "Matthew Nuzum" <matt@followers.net> writes:
>
> > I have colinux running on a Fedora Core 1 image.  I have the rhdb 3 (or
> > PostgreSQL RedHat Edition 3) on it running.  Here are tests with fsync on
> > and off:
> >   FSYNC OFF            FSYNC ON        RUN
> > 136.9     142.0    124.5     149.1    1
> > 122.1     126.7    140.1     169.7    2
> > 125.7     148.7    147.4     180.4    3
> > 103.3     136.7    136.8     166.3    4
> > 126.5     146.1    152.3     187.9    5
> > 114.4     133.3    144.8     176.7    6
> > 124.0     146.5    143.3     175.0    7
> > 121.7     166.8    147.8     180.5    8
> > 127.3     151.8    146.7     180.0    9
> > 124.6     143.0    137.2     167.5    10
> > --------------------------------------
> > 122.7     144.2    142.1     173.3    AVG
> >
> > I hope those numbers' formatting come through all right.
>
> No, they didn't. You used tabs? Are they four space tabs or 8 space tabs?
> I assume 4 space tabs, but then what is the meaning of the four columns?
> You have two columns for each fsync setting? One's under Windows and one's
> under Vmware? Which is which?

Sorry that wasn't clear.  The pgbench program puts out two numbers,
can't remember what they are, I think one number included the time to
make the connection.  Therefore, the first two columns represent the two
values presented from pgbench with FSYNC off.  The second two columns
are those same to figures but with FSYNC ON.  The 5th column is the
run.  I did 10 runs and included the output of all runs so that incase
anything significant could be gleaned from the details, the data would
be there.

The executive summary is this:
Tom was curious if colinux might be deceiving the applications that
expect the fsync to occur.  He suspected that pgbench run with and
without fsync enabled might reveal something.  Therefore:
FSYNC ON:  142.1
FSYNC OFF: 122.7

Having FSYNC off seems to yield faster results.

I'd like some input on a more demanding test though, because these tests
run so quickly I can't help but be suspicious of their accuracy.  When
there are two OSs involved, it seems like the momentary activity of a
background process could skew these results.

> > It occurs to me that the fsync may be performed to the linux filesystem, but
> > this filesystem is merely a file on the windows drive.  Would Windows cache
> > this file?  It's 2GB in size, so if it did, it would only be able to cache
> > part of it.
>
> Well VMWare certainly doesn't know that the linux process called fsync. For
> all it knows the Linux kernel just schedule the i/o because it felt it was
> time.
>
> So the question is how does VMWare alway handle i/o normally. Does it always
> handle i/o from the Guest OS synchronously or does it buffer it via the
> Host OS's i/o system.
We probably will never know what the internal workings of VMWare are
like because it is a closed source program.  I'm not slighting them, I
have purchased a license of VMWare and use it for my software testing.
However, colinux is an open source project and we can easily find out
how they handle this.  I have little interest in this as I use this
merely as a tool to speed up my application development and do not run
any critical services what-so-ever.

> I'm actually not sure which it does, it could be doing something strange. But
> does seem most likely that it lets Windows buffer the writes, or does so
> itself. It might also depend on whether you're using raw disks or a virtual
> disk file. Undoable disks would throw another wrench in the works entirely.
In these tests I'm using a virtual disk file.  This is a 2GB file on the
hard drive that linux sees as a disk partition.  Colinux does not
support undoable disks in the way that vmware does.  Their wiky site
does not mention anything tricky being done to force disk writes to
actually be written; the implication therefore is that it leaves the i/o
completely at the discretion of XP.  Also note that XP Pro and 2000 Pro
both offer different caching options for the user to choose so unless it
does something to actually force a write the answer is probably "who
knows."

> Note that "caching" isn't really the question. It doesn't have to cache the
> entire 2GB file or even very much of it. It just has to store the block that
> linux wants to write and report success to linux without waiting for the disk
> to report success. Linux will then think the file is sync'd to disk and allow
> postgres to continue with the next transaction without actually waiting for
> the physical disk to spin around to the right place and the head to seek and
> perform the write.

That's interesting to know.  I wondered about that.

So, my summary is this:
If you develop applications in windows that run in linux and you need a
testing platform you may like colinux a lot because of the following:
 * It's purchase price is 0
 * It's seems to be capable of running any (or at least many)
distribution based on 2.4 kernel
 * It appears to run much faster than VMWare (maybe because it has far
fewer features, including the ability to run X apps unless you use VNC
or a separate X server)
* When idle it causes no apparent load on the CPU.  This is the best
part in my opinion.  VMWare causes a drag on the system even when idle
and especially when active.  With colinux you can simply minimize the
console or run it as a service and forget about it until you need it.

You may prefer VMWare if you need:
 * GUI setup tools
 * Full PC hardware support (sound, fb, etc)
 * Undoable disk support
 * Painless install (colinux isn't hard but it's not "shrink wrap"
quality yet)
 * Need special kernel features.  Colinux uses its own kernel which has
been ported to windows.

OK, this horse is dead... anyone else want to kick it?  Just kidding...

If you want me to test something for you, I'd be happy to.  Be specific
and give me the details and I'll run it through the wringer on Friday.
Oh, and don't ask me to download anything big please.  25 of us share a
56k modem there so bandwidth is limited.

Hope this is helpful to someone, have a nice day.

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt@followers.net>
Followers.net, Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

Дата:
Matthew Nuzum <matt@followers.net> writes:
> I'd like some input on a more demanding test though, because these tests
> run so quickly I can't help but be suspicious of their accuracy.

So increase the number of transactions tested (-t switch to pgbench).

Be aware also that you really want -s (database size scale factor) to
exceed -c (number of concurrent clients) for meaningful results.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

Дата:
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> ... Right now the win32 native does
> not sync() (but does fsync()).  So, the performance is somewhere between
> fsync = off and fsync = on (probably much closer to fsync = on).  It is
> reasonable to assume that the win32 port will outperform the unix
> versions at many tasks (at the expense of safety) until the new sync()
> code is put in.

... which was three days ago.  Why are we still speculating?

            regards, tom lane