Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on VMWare vs Windows vs CoLinux
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> That said, I'm curious why the emulated servers performed better than the
> Native Windows port. My first thought is that they probably aren't syncing
> every write to disk so effectively they're defeating the fsyncs, allowing the
> host OS to buffer disk writes.

It would be fairly easy to check this by repeating the comparisons with
fsync = off in postgresql.conf.  A performance number that doesn't
change much would be a smoking gun ;-).

The native port hasn't had any performance testing done on it yet, and
I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a gotcha or two.  Perhaps with the
recent schedule change there will be some time for performance tuning
before we go beta.