Обсуждение: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
Chris Field
Дата:
We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.  Seing as
how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only be
used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
queries running).  Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
it worth the large cost?  Any thoughts/experience are much
appreciated...

--
Chris Field
cfield@affinitysolutions.com

Вложения

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:32, Chris Field wrote:
> We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
> the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.  Seing as
> how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only be
> used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
> queries running).  Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
> it worth the large cost?  Any thoughts/experience are much
> appreciated...

Since you're asking the question, I'll assume you don't have CPU
intensive queries or monstrous loads.

I'd probably invest in a Quad system with 2 chips in it (2 empty
sockets) and put the difference in funds into a few extra GB of Ram or
improved IO.

In 6 months or a year, if you start doing longer or more complex
queries, toss in the other 2 chips. So long as you don't hit a memory
limit, it'll be fine.

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:32, Chris Field wrote:
> > We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
> > the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.  Seing as
> > how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only be
> > used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
> > queries running).  Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
> > it worth the large cost?  Any thoughts/experience are much
> > appreciated...
>
> Since you're asking the question, I'll assume you don't have CPU
> intensive queries or monstrous loads.
>
> I'd probably invest in a Quad system with 2 chips in it (2 empty
> sockets) and put the difference in funds into a few extra GB of Ram or
> improved IO.
>
> In 6 months or a year, if you start doing longer or more complex
> queries, toss in the other 2 chips. So long as you don't hit a memory
> limit, it'll be fine.

Note that you want to carefully look at the difference in cost of the
motherboard versus the CPUs.  It's often the motherboard that raises the
cost, not the CPUs so much.  Although with Xeons, the CPUs are not cheap.

The second issue is that Intel (and AMD probably) only guarantee proper
performance from chips int he same batch, so you may wind up replacing the
two working CPUs with two new ones to go with the other two you'll be
buying, to make sure that they work together.

My guess is that more CPUs aren't gonna help this problem a lot, so look
more at fast RAM and lots of it, as well as a fast I/O subsystem.

2 CPUs should be plenty.

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
allanwind@lifeintegrity.com (Allan Wind)
Дата:
On 2003-11-11T17:40:14-0700, scott.marlowe wrote:
> 2 CPUs should be plenty.

for everyone?  No, I must have been thinking of someone else :-)

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
P.O. Box 2022

Вложения

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
fred@redhotpenguin.com
Дата:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:32, Chris Field wrote:
>> > We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
>> > the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.  Seing as
>> > how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only
>> be
>> > used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
>> > queries running).  Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
>> > it worth the large cost?  Any thoughts/experience are much
>> > appreciated...
>>
>> Since you're asking the question, I'll assume you don't have CPU
>> intensive queries or monstrous loads.
>>
>> I'd probably invest in a Quad system with 2 chips in it (2 empty
>> sockets) and put the difference in funds into a few extra GB of Ram or
>> improved IO.
>>
>> In 6 months or a year, if you start doing longer or more complex
>> queries, toss in the other 2 chips. So long as you don't hit a memory
>> limit, it'll be fine.
>
> Note that you want to carefully look at the difference in cost of the
> motherboard versus the CPUs.  It's often the motherboard that raises the
> cost, not the CPUs so much.  Although with Xeons, the CPUs are not cheap.
>
> The second issue is that Intel (and AMD probably) only guarantee proper
> performance from chips int he same batch, so you may wind up replacing the
> two working CPUs with two new ones to go with the other two you'll be
> buying, to make sure that they work together.
>
> My guess is that more CPUs aren't gonna help this problem a lot, so look
> more at fast RAM and lots of it, as well as a fast I/O subsystem.
>
> 2 CPUs should be plenty.
I agree that the additional cpus won't help as much since I haven't found
any benefits in terms of individual query speed for a quad vs. an smp on
benchmarks I've run on test machines I was considering purchasing.  Quads
are also expensive - on similar architectures the quad was 20k vs 7k for
the dual.

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 17:32, Chris Field wrote:
> We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
> the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.  Seing as
> how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only be
> used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
> queries running).  Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
> it worth the large cost?  Any thoughts/experience are much
> appreciated...

Xeon or Opteron?  The faster Opterons *really* blaze, especially
in 64-bit mode.  As others have said, though, RAM and I/O are most
important.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it
popular"
David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
"Chris Field"
Дата:
we are looking at Xeon, We are currently running it on a quad sun v880
compiled to be 64bit and have been getting dreadful performance.  I don't
think we really have much to gain from going 64bit.

> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 17:32, Chris Field wrote:
> > We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
> > the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.  Seing as
> > how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only be
> > used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
> > queries running).  Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
> > it worth the large cost?  Any thoughts/experience are much
> > appreciated...
>
> Xeon or Opteron?  The faster Opterons *really* blaze, especially
> in 64-bit mode.  As others have said, though, RAM and I/O are most
> important.

> Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> Jefferson, LA USA
>
> "As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it
> popular"
> David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
"Fred Moyer"
Дата:
One thing I learned after spending about a week comparing the Athlon (2
ghz, 333 mhz frontside bus) and Xeon (2.4 ghz, 266 mhz frontside bus)
platforms was that on average the select queries I was benchmarking ran
30% faster on the Athlon (this was with data cached in memory so may not
apply to the larger data sets where I/O is the limiting factor.)

I benchmarked against the Opteron 244 when it came out and it came in
about the same as the Athlon (makes sense since both were 333 mhz
memory).  The results within +/- 5-10% that of the Athlon.  From testing
against a couple of other machines I noticed that the memory bus speeds
were almost directly proportional to the query times under these
conditions.

Not sure how these compare against the quad sun but the AMD chips
returned the select queries faster than the Xeons from the informal
investigations I did.  Definitely try it before you buy it if possible.

we are looking at Xeon, We are currently running it on a quad sun v880
compiled to be 64bit and have been getting dreadful performance.  I
don't think we really have much to gain from going 64bit.

> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 17:32, Chris Field wrote:
> > We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering
> > about the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine.
> > Seing as how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server

> > will only be used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever
> > have a few large queries running).  Is there any performance to be
> > gained, and if so is it worth the large cost?  Any
> > thoughts/experience are much appreciated...
>
> Xeon or Opteron?  The faster Opterons *really* blaze, especially in
> 64-bit mode.  As others have said, though, RAM and I/O are most
> important.

> Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> Jefferson, LA USA
>
> "As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it
> popular" David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
Fred Moyer wrote:
> One thing I learned after spending about a week comparing the Athlon (2
> ghz, 333 mhz frontside bus) and Xeon (2.4 ghz, 266 mhz frontside bus)
> platforms was that on average the select queries I was benchmarking ran
> 30% faster on the Athlon (this was with data cached in memory so may not
> apply to the larger data sets where I/O is the limiting factor.)
>
> I benchmarked against the Opteron 244 when it came out and it came in
> about the same as the Athlon (makes sense since both were 333 mhz
> memory).  The results within +/- 5-10% that of the Athlon.  From testing
> against a couple of other machines I noticed that the memory bus speeds
> were almost directly proportional to the query times under these
> conditions.

I remember a posting here about opteron, which essentially said, even if opteron
works on par with athlon under few clients, as load increases it scales more
than 50% better than athlons.

So that could be another shot at it.Sorry, no handy URL here.

  Shridhar

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:13:19 -0500
"Chris Field" <cfield@affinitysolutions.com> wrote:

> we are looking at Xeon, We are currently running it on a quad sun v880
> compiled to be 64bit and have been getting dreadful performance.  I
> don't think we really have much to gain from going 64bit.

By chance, are you running 7.3.4 on that sun?
If so, try this:
export CFLAGS=-02
./configure

and rebuild PG.

Before 7.4 PG was build with _no_ optimization on Solaris.
Recompiling gives __HUGE__ (notice the underscores) performance gains.

And onto the dual vs quad.

PG will only use 1 cpu / connection / query.

So if your machine iwll have 1-2 queries running at a time those other 2
proc's will sit around idling.  However if you are going to have a bunch
going, 4 cpus will be most useful.  One of hte nicest things to do for
PG is more ram and fast IO. It really loves those things.

good luck

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
As another post pointed out, you need to set cflags to get optimization
under Solaris on that flavor of Postgresql.

Also, Postgresql tends to get its best performance from the free unixes,
Linux and BSD.  those are available for Sun Sparcs, but postgresql in 64
bit mode on those boxes is still a bit cutting edge.

It might be worth a try to set up the sun to dual boot to either BSD or
Linux and test Postgresql under that environment to see how it works and
compare it to Sun after you've set the cflags and recompiled.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Chris Field wrote:

> we are looking at Xeon, We are currently running it on a quad sun v880
> compiled to be 64bit and have been getting dreadful performance.  I don't
> think we really have much to gain from going 64bit.

Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 09:28, Jeff wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:13:19 -0500
> "Chris Field" <cfield@affinitysolutions.com> wrote:
>
> > we are looking at Xeon, We are currently running it on a quad sun v880
> > compiled to be 64bit and have been getting dreadful performance.  I
> > don't think we really have much to gain from going 64bit.
> >

> By chance, are you running 7.3.4 on that sun?
> If so, try this:
> export CFLAGS=-02
> ./configure
>
> and rebuild PG.
>
> Before 7.4 PG was build with _no_ optimization on Solaris.
> Recompiling gives __HUGE__ (notice the underscores) performance gains.
>
> And onto the dual vs quad.
>
> PG will only use 1 cpu / connection / query.
>
> So if your machine iwll have 1-2 queries running at a time those other 2
> proc's will sit around idling.  However if you are going to have a bunch
> going, 4 cpus will be most useful.  One of hte nicest things to do for
> PG is more ram and fast IO. It really loves those things.

We've just started kicking around the idea of moving one of our boxes to
a quad-proc machine from a dual. Under normal circumstances the 2
processors handle maybe 200 transactions per second with 90% system
idle.  However we have people who occasionally run historical reports on
our data, and those reports are fairly CPU intensive. Usually it is not
a problem for the main web system, but when pg_dump is running, that is
also cpu intensive, so we end up with two highly cpu intensive items
running on our machine, and we start to notice issues on the main web
system.

Robert Treat